• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How Restaurants Got So Loud

Alex

18 minutes ago, Margaret Pilgrim said:

the reality that most of the new/hip, exciting restaurants that interest us will be loud. 

I think it was considered hip when a certain orange-clogged chef was doing this at Babbo. That was 23 years ago.

• Like 1

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

I'm reminded of my favorite bar in Memphis, the P&H Cafe, whose proprietress, Wanda, allowed amplified music only two nights a year (August 16, the Dead Elvis Ball, and September 17, Hank Williams Sr.'s birthday). "This is  a conversation bar," she contended.

• Like 3

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

32 minutes ago, kayb said:

I'm reminded of my favorite bar in Memphis, the P&H Cafe, whose proprietress, Wanda, allowed amplified music only two nights a year (August 16, the Dead Elvis Ball, and September 17, Hank Williams Sr.'s birthday). "This is  a conversation bar," she contended.

That is civilized right there.  Full stop.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lemniscate said:

That is civilized right there.  Full stop.

When I come into my first trillion I think I will open a string of “conversation bars”. As you say… Civilized! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

6 minutes ago, Anna N said:

When I come into my first trillion I think I will open a string of “conversation bars”. As you say… Civilized! 

Save me a seat at the bar.  I can talk a blue streak.

Edited by lemniscate (log)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

The P&H, under Wanda's ownership/management, would have been a fine prototype. It was, up into the late 90s, the only bar in Memphis, at least that I knew of, that still had Kingston Trio on the jukebox. And Wanda was -- well, she was one of a kind. Sadly, she is no longer with us; all those decades of Marlboro Lights got to her.

One of the many obits, and one which pretty much captured the nature of the place, is here

I went there for the first time in 1978, when I was a senior in college and working at The Commercial Appeal. Wanda found out I was from Camden, TN, just about 30 miles from her hometown of Parsons, and immediately decided we must be kin. ("My Daddy was a travelin' man...") From then until I moved away, I'd get off at 9:30, head up to the P&H, and wait tables in exchange for my tab.  Early evenings, before the serious drinking began, the P&H was a family bar, and my kids grew up eating burgers and fries, learning to shoot pool, busing tables and watching TV in the kitchen with the cook. 

I miss it, and her.

• Like 5

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

• 2 years later...

One of the main sources of noise in restaurants and cafes is background music. It helps create a lively atmosphere, but sometimes sounds too loud.

Restaurant critic for The Washington Post, Tom Sietsema, notes that he has been paying close attention to this problem: “I've been talking about this for ten years. This is a source of constant irritation." In its reviews, Sietsma includes a noise level rating with decibel counts along with ratings of food quality.

But you also need background noise in the restaurant so that people don’t hear them slurping.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/17/2023 at 11:06 AM, Anton4100 said:

One of the main sources of noise in restaurants and cafes is background music. It helps create a lively atmosphere, but sometimes sounds too loud.

Restaurant critic for The Washington Post, Tom Sietsema, notes that he has been paying close attention to this problem: “I've been talking about this for ten years. This is a source of constant irritation." In its reviews, Sietsma includes a noise level rating with decibel counts along with ratings of food quality.

But you also need background noise in the restaurant so that people don’t hear them slurping.

Speaking of Tom Sietsema, there's a good article in today's WaPo about this.

An acoustics professor, a food critic and an audio producer are staring at their devices in a Peruvian restaurant in downtown Washington.

“What are you getting?”

“Let’s see … it’s fluctuating.”

“I just got 80.”

“Whoa, it just spiked to 87!”

These are sound-level readings taken from our table — a corner booth overlooking the dining area of Pisco y Nazca. I’m Bishop Sand, an audio producer at The Washington Post, and I’m here with Lily Wang, who runs the acoustics program at the University of Nebraska at Lincoln’s Durham School of Architectural Engineering and Construction, and my colleague Tom Sietsema, The Post’s food critic for the past 24 years.

• Like 2

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

We only now comment to each other about restaurant noise levels when they are quiet enough for the two of us to have a conversation without shouting.

And we also (now) often try to dine earlier.  First, the staff is less harried, especially the kitchen. Second, if restaurants are gonna crank up the music, they tend to do so a little later in the evening.

We were just in Montreal and Portland, and I have to say that at most of the places we dined, noise levels were acceptable.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?