• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DiFara Pizza

Pan

Closer to home, have you tried the pizza at Patsy's on 1st Av. between 117th and 118th? Have a look at the NYC Pizza Survey starting here. You may prefer that style of pizza, anyway. As you'll see, most of the attendees for the Pizza Survey did.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

I haven't even BEEN to DiFara's and I talked my colleagues into going to it (its closer to their neighborhood than mine)

I can't wait to get back the report. My boss says the touch of olive oil and sprinkling of salt at the end just make the crust scrumptious.

Talking about pizza, when are the pizza joint outing starting again? I just missed out on the last one to Patsy's.

Dear Pan,

Didn't like Patsy's either. I actually volunteer at the CACC Animal Shelter on weekends, which is very close to Patsy's. Maybe it was only because I ordered a slice rather than a pie, but I found Patsy's kind of droopy and plain. I definitely like Di Fara's over Patsy's - but neither rocked my world. Haven't tried Grimaldi's, Lombardis or John's yet, so there's some hope out there....

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

What toppings did you get at both places? If you go to Grimaldi's, go near opening time and order the sausage pie; it's amazing!

Michael aka "Pan"

Got to DiFara's this afternoon:

Let me say, I have the utmost respect for Dominic's craftsmanship, and to be fair, the flavors were both subtle and complex.  (More so than most if not all pizza's I've had).  But was it worth the 1.5 train ride from the Bronx, and the higher than average price?  For me, I'm afraid not.  I'm glad to have tasted it - but this is not a slice that I'll dream about.  There are only two slices that have yet affected me in that manner - Manetta's in Queens, and Nicky's (the Bronx, my neighborhood - specifically, the chicken and onions slice.)  Sorry.  :sad:

--Janet (GG)

What in particular was so appealing about Manetta's or Nicky's.. The crust, cheese and sauce, or total combo..

The appeal for each was different:

Manettas (although it was awhile ago), had small slices with crisp crusts, with very fresh toppings - I vaguely remember a thick mozzarella topping on one, and a few "gourmet" options that were different but tasty (can't remember specifically what they were, unfortunately!)

Nicky's on the other hand - I would rate higher than Manettas - there's an "everything" slice with chicken, peppers and onions that's just enormous, and filling, and just delicious with every bite. It's NOT a traditional thin crust, but when faced with that wonderful slice, it really doesn't matter! (One slice will also fill you for hours...!) The plain slice is okay, but it's nothing compared to the everything slice. Not at all.

FYI: I've also tried Pinch, and been pretty unimpressed there, too.

Mochi, Foi Thong and Rojak - what more can a girl want from life?

http://www.frombruneiandbeyond.com

My favorite toppings at DiFara's are the artichokes, porcini or regular mushrooms if they don't have porcini that day, and pepperoni. Oh, and I almost forgot: The baby eggplant. I like the onions, too (and I'm sure I'd like the garlic), but have them as a second topping. If you like broccoli di rabe, they have very high-quality stuff. As much as I like the cheese Dom uses, I couldn't imagine asking for extra cheese there. The other thing that's fantastic at DiFara's is the calzoni.

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

As much as I like the cheese Dom uses, I couldn't imagine asking for extra cheese there.

The quantity of cheese is what turns me off about DiFara's pizza. There's so much cheese and oil on the pie that, while it's all top-quality stuff, it turns into a soup (well, fondue). It's okay if you're only eating one slice, but by the time you get to a second, the crust has turned into a soggy mess.

I don't mind the mess at all, it's delicious!

Different strokes, etc. I think I've been exposed to Philadelphia-style pizza long enough that I've started to fetishize crust; that's just not DiFara's strength.

But have you tried the calzone?

I haven't, but I'm willing to give it a try next time I'm in Brooklyn (which, unfortunately, probably won't be until July 2006 or so.) What do you like about it?

I don't mind the mess at all, it's delicious!

Different strokes, etc. I think I've been exposed to Philadelphia-style pizza long enough that I've started to fetishize crust; that's just not DiFara's strength.

Yeah, most of the NYC Pizza Survey participants agree on that. I just love their toppings!

But have you tried the calzone?

I haven't, but I'm willing to give it a try next time I'm in Brooklyn (which, unfortunately, probably won't be until July 2006 or so.) What do you like about it?

Great cheeses, great ingredients (same as available for pizza toppings), lots of olive oil, and it's less messy than the pizza. Otherwise, you'll just have to try it; it's delicious! I love to get porcini and onions. The calzoni are humongous, but they will give you a slice or two if you like.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 6 months later...

I've lived in Brooklyn for almost 25 years now, and pizza has been my single favorite food for as long as I can remember. But until recently I was never able to make it over to DiFara. Well, that's not quite right. I made it over a couple of times, but for one reason or another they were never times when I could handle the wait. Until, as I said, a few months ago.

It was at a time when I needed a good slice.

My wife had just died. Young. Not Ali-McGraw-in-Love Story young, but you-shouldn't-die-when-you're-middle-aged young.

The funeral home through which I was arranging her cremation was on Flatbush Avenue, a reasonable walk from DiFara. I figured I could walk over and have a couple of slices after completing the arrangements.

As with so many things having to do with this experience, I underestimated how hard it would be. Under New York law, you have to identify the body before it can be sent for cremation. I'd seen her right after she died, but this was different. She was ice cold. Like a corpse. I kissed her forehead and it felt like my spirit was being sucked out of my body.

I sleepwalked over to DiFara. Never having tried their pizza, I figured I should order common things so I'd have an easy basis for comparison. I had a plain slice and a sausage slice.

Now obviously I was in extremis. But this was like the ur-pizza of my dreams. I understand that Mr. DeMarco has made certain choices -- thin crust, emphasis on toppings -- but these are exactly my preferences. To fasten on one detail, the oil in the sauce sort of irrigated the crust -- an effect I like very much in pizza -- but this time it was done with great olive oil. The sauce itself was beyond praise, as was the cheese, and the cheese ratio. Everything. I sat there eating this wonderful pizza and was transported back to childhood, back to high school. I remembered why I loved this dish so much. This was like all the pizza I've ever really liked, but better. Just the way I would want it.

I felt my spirit coming back.

I don't want to devalue this superlative cooking by making it seem like cheap pop music, good not in itself but because it makes you remember happy times. But responses are complex. You don't only relate to things in the abstract, but also emotionally. And sometimes, obviously, more emotionally than other times. Those two slices I had at DiFara that day were not only the best pizza I've ever had, but were also an intense and restorative experience. All in all, a good deal for a few dollars.

• 4 weeks later...

I know I'm going to be screamed at for this, but here goes.

I had some free time and decided to ride over to DiFara's for some pizza. Ordered a pie (with two friends) - one-half plain the other half sausage and mushrooms.

While I have no complaints, it was similar to many other pizzas I've had throughout my life. It was very good, but it wasn't this earth-shattering pizza experience I was expecting. I must admit I was somewhat embarrassed because my friends couldn't understand why I raved about this place and forced them to take a ride.

I enjoyed the crust and the toppings, but honestly pizzas like this are available throughout the city. In fact, the crust I make at home isn't that much different - granted I don't get the burn marks unless I put it on the grill, but similar texture and just as thin. I actually think my homemade pizza gravy is better.

Maybe I was expecting too much after all the hype. I would go again if in the neighborhood, but certainly wouldn't make another special trip and I'm only 15 minutes away in Staten Island.

One more example of how fantasy and perception outdistance reality. In a way, I wish I didn't go - I could have kept the fantasy alive. Another myth bites the dust.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

• 2 months later...

Heads up to let you all know that if Dom has the tripe, get it! I had that for an early dinner (after eating nothing the rest of the day) today. It was very spicy and just fantastic, one of the tastiest things I've had in some time.

By the way, I noticed JJ's (jogoode's) article about places from Queens and Brooklyn opening Manhattan outposts, with its references to Di Fara's and De Marco's, was up.

Michael aka "Pan"

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

this wired world is so great... I was totally set to go to DiFara this weekend, but thanks to this alert I won't go all the way out there for nothing. It looks like Dom will be out of commission, so the place will be closed, for at least a little while. Best wishes to him for a speedy recovery.

"Philadelphia’s premier soup dumpling blogger" - Foobooz

philadining.com

I drove by there this morning and it look as though the doors were open. I must drive by to get home this evening - I'll take a look.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

Just passed by and it is closed. The handwritten sign on the door indicates a personal matter and does not state a re-opening date. I will be in the neighborhood Monday and will pass on any additional info.

Edited by rich (log)

Rich Schulhoff

Passed by shortly after 9am this morning - same sign on the door.

Rich Schulhoff