Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CanadianHomeChef

New Toy: Breville/Polyscience Control Freak!

Recommended Posts

I just head out to a thrift store with a magnet in my purse and find a few pots that will work on induction. Watch for the magnetic ones with bottoms that aren't flat though - won't work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Smaller pots might overshoot. Happens to my tiny 1 quart. Might happen to thinner pots too. 

 

My 7ply barely overshoot, even on high. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

Smaller pots might overshoot. Happens to my tiny 1 quart. Might happen to thinner pots too. 

 

My 7ply barely overshoot, even on high. 

I have one little pot - it's an all clad saucier - half the time it's not recognized - other half it is. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I just head out to a thrift store with a magnet in my purse and find a few pots that will work on induction. Watch for the magnetic ones with bottoms that aren't flat though - won't work.

Avoid calphalon then. Distinct lack of flatness in sauté pans. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 6/11/2019 at 12:56 PM, AngelicLiar said:

A question to the pros here - do you know what the firmware update status for European units is?

Also, what features are actually enabled by the firmware updates (=how hard should I try to get updates for my unit)?

 

Thanks!

Mine is running 5.27.  I checked with David at Polyscience at the beginning of the year and there weren't any updates.

 

if you really want to try.  Speak to https://www.sousvidetools.com/ who are the Master Distributor for the UK and most of Europe.


Edited by Snowpup (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Temperature Guide

 

Just wanted to post this handy temperature guide from the Support tab of the PolyScience Control Freak site. According to the guide, for garlic (I assume onions are similar), sweating is at 230F, browning occurs for temperatures greater than 248F.


Edited by ocd (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi all,

 

I wanted to share my excitement after using my shiny new Control Freak; for the first time in my life, I was able to replicate a Youtube recipe and get the exact same result (this was merely Polyscience's omelette recipe, but it's a start!), and also to get ten pancakes all at the exact same level of doneness!

I am super excited. Thank you all for your in-depth discussions here that helped drive me to buy this amazing device!

 

I'd also like to share my own contribution to this thread - I've converted Polyscience's temperature chart linked here a few times (lastly by @ocd in the previous post) to Celsius, for those of us metrically-inclined. I've made a few versions:

The same chart, but in Celsius

A "clean" chart, with some unnecessary text removed (mostly marketing text eg. "Temp control as low as 86" - we know! We already bought the thing!)

 

I've also made an "enhanced" chart with extra temps (converted to Celsius!) from @CanadianHomeChef's precision cooking site, and with your permission I can post that as well!


Edited by AngelicLiar (log)
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks AngleicLiar,

 

Go ahead!

Summer has just arrived, and I got some free time from being a teacher. I want to test the limits of this device more, so I'm looking for inspiration :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@CanadianHomeChef  These are great charts, thanks for posting them.  If you are looking for inspiration, try a custard based ice cream.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's the enhanced version of the Celsius chart from Polyscience! I apologize for my horrid PDF editing skills, but I got too lazy to copy their fancy styling so I just used big red rectangles.

The Hestan Cue charts look interesting too! I'll convert them as well at some point :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/2/2019 at 4:36 PM, ElsieD said:

@CanadianHomeChef  These are great charts, thanks for posting them.  If you are looking for inspiration, try a custard based ice cream.

 

Funny. I just made chocolate ice cream the other day. So silky. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CanadianHomeChef said:

 

Funny. I just made chocolate ice cream the other day. So silky. 

 

What temperature  did you set the CF to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, how'd I miss this forum/thread!   Another CF owner here.   CanadianHomeChef when I read your posts here I thought I could be reading posts from my doppelganger!   I bought my first CF in January 2018 and my second around August.   It's a fantastic device and I find that most people can't grasp just how capable it is or how much it can change the way we cook.   Many of the examples I see here mirror my experiences so closely, like cooking eggs benedict to making stock.   Being about to set a temp and turn and walk away is something you couldn't do with any other device.

 

I think it's likely I'll remove the stove from my new house and install an oven only, still debating.  I haven't used the burners on the range in over a year.   I've also found that I'm spending a lot of money on cookware now... this thing has infected me with the kitchen expansion bug.   I'll have to post some pictures of my pots and pans collection sometime.   

 

I find that I don't use the probe a whole lot as I haven't ventured into recipes where liquid temperature is critical enough to require it.  I find that things like Hollander sauce, soups, stocks even melting chocolate work just fine with the pan sensor since the main issue in those cases is not going over temp rather than having an exact temp.   That said if I do venture into more dishes I may find a need but so far I haven't used it much.


I also have a Vollrath Mirage Pro which sits on a shelf as a backup unit since once I bought the first CF the Vollrath hasn't been used.  It's temperature control is so far off compared to the CF that I see it more as a hot plate conceptually than as a precision cooking device.

 

Anyway just thought I'd say hello to my fellow CF converts.   Cheers!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, SantiagoDraco said:

Wow, how'd I miss this forum/thread!   Another CF owner here.   CanadianHomeChef when I read your posts here I thought I could be reading posts from my doppelganger!   I bought my first CF in January 2018 and my second around August.   It's a fantastic device and I find that most people can't grasp just how capable it is or how much it can change the way we cook.   Many of the examples I see here mirror my experiences so closely, like cooking eggs benedict to making stock.   Being about to set a temp and turn and walk away is something you couldn't do with any other device.

 

I think it's likely I'll remove the stove from my new house and install an oven only, still debating.  I haven't used the burners on the range in over a year.   I've also found that I'm spending a lot of money on cookware now... this thing has infected me with the kitchen expansion bug.   I'll have to post some pictures of my pots and pans collection sometime.   

 

I find that I don't use the probe a whole lot as I haven't ventured into recipes where liquid temperature is critical enough to require it.  I find that things like Hollander sauce, soups, stocks even melting chocolate work just fine with the pan sensor since the main issue in those cases is not going over temp rather than having an exact temp.   That said if I do venture into more dishes I may find a need but so far I haven't used it much.


I also have a Vollrath Mirage Pro which sits on a shelf as a backup unit since once I bought the first CF the Vollrath hasn't been used.  It's temperature control is so far off compared to the CF that I see it more as a hot plate conceptually than as a precision cooking device.

 

Anyway just thought I'd say hello to my fellow CF converts.   Cheers!

Welcome Draco - looks like you'll fit right in here. Careful though - we are all enablers and you might end up with even more stuff. 

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Made some Bibimbap using cast iron dolsots I bought over a year ago. Worked perfectly on the Control Freak as I could dial into 450 to crisp the rice without worrying about it going over. The dolsots were sizzling at the table 😋 

02FCF2A5-1E37-4497-B13B-29F369224A64.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SantiagoDraco said:

Wow, how'd I miss this forum/thread!   Another CF owner here.   CanadianHomeChef when I read your posts here I thought I could be reading posts from my doppelganger!   I bought my first CF in January 2018 and my second around August.   It's a fantastic device and I find that most people can't grasp just how capable it is or how much it can change the way we cook.   Many of the examples I see here mirror my experiences so closely, like cooking eggs benedict to making stock.   Being about to set a temp and turn and walk away is something you couldn't do with any other device.

 

I think it's likely I'll remove the stove from my new house and install an oven only, still debating.  I haven't used the burners on the range in over a year.   I've also found that I'm spending a lot of money on cookware now... this thing has infected me with the kitchen expansion bug.   I'll have to post some pictures of my pots and pans collection sometime.   

 

I find that I don't use the probe a whole lot as I haven't ventured into recipes where liquid temperature is critical enough to require it.  I find that things like Hollander sauce, soups, stocks even melting chocolate work just fine with the pan sensor since the main issue in those cases is not going over temp rather than having an exact temp.   That said if I do venture into more dishes I may find a need but so far I haven't used it much.


I also have a Vollrath Mirage Pro which sits on a shelf as a backup unit since once I bought the first CF the Vollrath hasn't been used.  It's temperature control is so far off compared to the CF that I see it more as a hot plate conceptually than as a precision cooking device.

 

Anyway just thought I'd say hello to my fellow CF converts.   Cheers!

 

Hah. I upgraded my pots too after getting the CF. I went with All Clad D7 for stainless and Anolon Copper Nouvelle for nonstick. Would have gone with Demeyere Proline but I got the D7 on the cheap off eBay. 

 

I actually have found pan control more useful than probe control for liquid custards. The reason being is that probe control will allow the pan to get hotter than the target temperature. So unless you are constantly stirring to circulate the ingredients, parts of it will get too hot. I tend to use pan control to start a custard. And then switch over to probe towards the end, minimizing the need to constantly stir :)

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/12/2019 at 9:27 PM, CanadianHomeChef said:

 

Hah. I upgraded my pots too after getting the CF. I went with All Clad D7 for stainless and Anolon Copper Nouvelle for nonstick. Would have gone with Demeyere Proline but I got the D7 on the cheap off eBay. 

 

I actually have found pan control more useful than probe control for liquid custards. The reason being is that probe control will allow the pan to get hotter than the target temperature. So unless you are constantly stirring to circulate the ingredients, parts of it will get too hot. I tend to use pan control to start a custard. And then switch over to probe towards the end, minimizing the need to constantly stir :)

 

Too funny, I picked up the D7 and the Anolon 8 and 10" as well.   However I've bought a bunch of All-Clad and Demeyer as well, pans and pots.   I'll post some photos at some point.

 

I laughed when I saw the Youtube videos by Binging with Babish and Jon Favreau (there are two videos, one on BB channel and one on the Netflix "Chef" show).    They use the CF but obviously have no clue HOW to use it.  They melt chocolate....using a double boiler.... boggle.   They have no clue about the temperature control, obviously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...