• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

anonymouse

Chocolate making: Things I learned in my early months

Beautiful egg! What a beautiful shine.
I too am curious to see the interior.
On a side note, I wonder if it's possible to rig up some kind of clamp to spin a mold using the kitchenaid attachment point. 😂

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, julie99nl said:

On a side note, I wonder if it's possible to rig up some kind of clamp to spin a mold using the kitchenaid attachment point. 😂

You need to invent that!

• Like 1

7 hours ago, julie99nl said:

In seriousness I have I believe the largest KitchenAid and I don't think the KitchenAid is big enough for the application.  Though the spinner picture Kerry posted looked like the spinner was homemade.  And there probably is some reason for the mat underneath the unit.

Now that I'm thinking of it someone who possibly could manufacture a small spinner product is Bhavani...

On 3/7/2019 at 3:35 PM, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Now that I'm thinking of it someone who possibly could manufacture a small spinner product is Bhavani...

Here's a home based one. Bet someone could riff off the design.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kerry Beal said:

Here's a home based one. Bet someone could riff off the design.

But I'm sure Bhavani would include the battery.

• Like 1

Brunner contacted me today to ask how I liked the egg.  Indeed I like it.  The interesting news is that policy has changed and Brunner will now ship to the United States.  I feel like giving the catalog another look!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Brunner contacted me today to ask how I liked the egg.  Indeed I like it.  The interesting news is that policy has changed and Brunner will now ship to the United States.  I feel like giving the catalog another look!

I just got a small order from them. A handful of open-bottom 3D hand molds for Easter, a bit over $300 worth. The order was shipped by DHL, with a $75 shipping fee on top. So not exactly cheap shipping for a few molds (about 2Kg / 3 pounds).

Quality is great. Only the tiniest amount of movement when the two sides come together. The molds I ordered weren’t magnetic, so they included clips.

Their ordering is a bit old fashioned. I placed the order with the shipping initially quoted as equal to the price of the molds (had me worried initially), with the only payment option being a quote. They sent me a quote via email and then I had to accept the offer. Once you accept you’re locked in (pages of legalese).

I had to email back the card details. No online payment options. I could have wired the payment, but the bank would have hit me up for more than the credit card’s foreign exchange fees.

Because not all the molds I ordered were in stock at the time I chose to wait instead of substituting. They gave me a week number when the order would be ready (week 13, March 25, in this case). The order was shipped last Thursday and arrived in San Francisco a few days later, on Monday just gone.

(Will post some images in the “what are we making” thread at some point.)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

@jbates any US customs fees?

Not on mine, probably due to the smaller cost. I would have to do some research to figure out when it would apply.

• Like 1

By popular demand --- pictures of the inside of the egg...

Egg204202019.jpg

Egg104202019.jpg

Comments welcome.  No reports of taste.

• Like 1

... that would have needed a sledge hammer to get through 🤣

Noticed that the chocolate pooled in one spot, I have that problem often as well 😊. I’m a fan of thicker shells, makes for less worry when transporting them.

What brand of chocolate did you use and how long did you spin it around?

6 hours ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

Comments welcome.

Way too thick, at least for the standards here. Besides that, a well done egg: almost no bubbles in the section, no visible defects (the pool is unavoidable with that much chocolate).

Teo

Teo

2 hours ago, jbates said:

Noticed that the chocolate pooled in one spot, I have that problem often as well 😊. I’m a fan of thicker shells, makes for less worry when transporting them.

The pool effect is unavoidable when you pour more chocolate than optimal. If you pour the correct amount of chocolate, then after the first spin (the one to cover all the mold surface) there is not much chocolate left fo flow around. If you pour much more chocolate than optimal, then you have a big amount of chocolate free to flow. As you keep spinning that chocolate will become less and less fluid, at the point that it will stop moving, ending up making a pool no matter how much you spin the mold.

Teo

Teo

@jbates the chocolate is Felchlin Maracaibo Creole 49%.

https://www.felchlin.com/en/product/cacao-maracaibo

I spun it for as long as my old arms could stand, outside in the snow.  (Crass hyperbole -- I was outside under a covered breezeway.)  About 15 minutes.

@teonzo remember I was using less chocolate than Brunner recommends.  I double checked this with my contact at Brunner.

5 minutes ago, JoNorvelleWalker said:

remember I was using less chocolate than Brunner recommends.  I double checked this with my contact at Brunner.

I could exceed in all my pedantry and reply with something uber annoying like "so Yoda said". Politeness would suggest to delete what I just wrote, but I can't resist Star Wars jokes.

Teo

• Like 1

Teo

Yesterday I learned the method by which the egg was opened.  In an attempt to cut it, the egg rolled off the kitchen table.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

• Similar Content

• By Ciordia9
      I've read some older threads on here about keeping your cocoa butter warm in a dehydrator. We picked up a NutriChef PKFD32 which was the closest we could find to a recommended one (2016/2018) and none of our bottles fit. Which had us ask--are people putting their bottles preset in here or are you using cups/transferring and cleaning your bottles over and over? Also if the PKFD32 isn't what we should be using, is there one generally people like now?

We've grown up from cheap airbrushes to the Grex line and we're attempting to get much more serious about our airbrush techniques. It's been long enough. Any thoughts, tips, tricks, or considerations are greatly appreciated.
    • By eglies
      Hey guys!

Im looking for the ultimate tool to make this design i have attached. 
      What do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

• By eglies
      Hello everyone!

Id like your advise about freezing bonbons. 

Lets say i would start to freeze my bonbons now in the summer for Christmas. Would they last for such an extended period of time?
      Also using natural colouring, would the colour remain as good when i open them up after a couple of months?

Would be great to hear your thoughts and experiences on the matter  
      Thank you!

• By eglies
      Hey guys!

Ive been having some difficulty with Valhrona Milk 38%. It doesn't seem to temper like any other milk chocolate. 
      I melt the chocolate to 45C and then using the seeding technique i drop the temp down to 30C. 
      When at 30C it seems tempered but after a few minutes i start to see bad tempering results. 

Is there something in particular about this chocolate that i should know about?
    • By pastrygirl
      My supplier decided that cocoa butter is now special order so I had to buy a case. And now I have an excessive amount of cocoa butter, anyone need any?  

Cacao Barry cocoa butter pistoles with a best by date of April 2021   $66 for the 3 kg tub or $22 per kg plus shipping.