• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

On 5/7/2018 at 9:13 AM, curls said:

@Kerry Beal it has been a while since we have been to the Niagara on the Lake campus -- I'm not sure how their kitchen is currently stocked. So, what sorts of things should we bring to the workshop? I'm guessing that we still need to bring along containers (to bring chocolates home), aprons or chef's coats, IR thermometers, notebook, camera, and base recipes. And of course, some chocolates or confections for the meet & greet. Also, if you are planning to try something that needs some specialty ingredients, you may want to bring them with you -- but maybe not? Will there be chocolate moulds, scrapers, caramel rulers? Yup, I am looking forward to this and starting to put together my packing list!  :D

Saw this yesterday in the middle of the shit show that was my ER day - and forgot to respond.

I think you have hit all the salient points - containers for sure - that's always an issue. Apron wise. I'll have a few IR thermometers but having your own would be an excellent idea. We'll have a copy of Greweling to plum for recipes but bringing other recipes you want to fool with would be a great idea.  We will have glucose, invert, sorbitol, thin boiling starch, sugar, some compounds and syrups, frozen purees. If there is a weird ingredient required - ask me if we have. Yes to caramel rulers - couple of heat guns, hair dryers. Probably won't be a ton of molds - don't really want to drag mine all down there - but there have been some ordered and there will be the ones from the bars from the Friday class.

• Like 1

On 5/9/2018 at 5:39 AM, tikidoc said:

Is it too late to put in an order from Chocolot Chocolot?

No - she says May 17th is the latest.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

11 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Saw this yesterday in the middle of the shit show that was my ER day - and forgot to respond.

I think you have hit all the salient points - containers for sure - that's always an issue. Apron wise. I'll have a few IR thermometers but having your own would be an excellent idea. We'll have a copy of Greweling to plum for recipes but bringing other recipes you want to fool with would be a great idea.  We will have glucose, invert, sorbitol, thin boiling starch, sugar, some compounds and syrups, frozen purees. If there is a weird ingredient required - ask me if we have. Yes to caramel rulers - couple of heat guns, hair dryers. Probably won't be a ton of molds - don't really want to drag mine all down there - but there have been some ordered and there will be the ones from the bars from the Friday class.

Thanks Kerry! I'll figure out what I want to work on and check in with you on ingredients.  Will we have access to the grinders Saturday or will they only be available for the master class?

19 minutes ago, curls said:

Thanks Kerry! I'll figure out what I want to work on and check in with you on ingredients.  Will we have access to the grinders Saturday or will they only be available for the master class?

I think the majority will still be around. 

Another thing - can anyone who uses a dehydrator for their cocoa butters and is driving bring it along? We all remember the 'incident' and don't want to lose the cocoa butter. I'm beginning to get concerned about having colored cocoa butter for the workshop - Kurt and Nicole are not able to attend but said they would send stuff and I've been trying to reach him and ask if Canadians can add orders to the stuff he is sending - but I think we are getting close to the wire for him to send stuff. If all else fails I guess I just bring my collection but was hoping to avoid that!

1 hour ago, curls said:

Sorry but I don’t have a dehydrator. Let me know if we need colored cocoa butter and I can bring some of mine along.

I realize I do have a Power Flowers discovery set / so we can make our own PRN

• Like 1

RE colored cocoa butter - Kurt will be shipping to me to arrive on Wednesday May 16.

Anyone who wants to add an order to this shipment (I'm thinking the Canadians are the ones who will benefit the most) should check the website Chocotransfersheets.com and decide what you want - and talk to them at Glarus Gourmet. Call them at (707) 748-5658 and explain that you need it added to the samples that are coming to me for the Chocolate Workshop.

• Like 1

I made my Friday night Show and Tell pieces today and they are more like Hide and Seek.  They taste good, look bad.....and Imdont have time to redo them for the workshop.  These can be an excellent example of failures in the decoration experiment category 

• Like 4

I had planned to work on mine today - road to hell and all that. I've just about got the agenda done. Need to find time to take it out for printing.

I'm bringing Greweling. But no other books - I've already spent one day lugging hundreds of kg of chocolate to Niagara - so I'm going to limit the stuff I have to lug back.

Who is bringing what other books?

6 hours ago, RobertM said:

I made my Friday night Show and Tell pieces today and they are more like Hide and Seek.  They taste good, look bad.....and Imdont have time to redo them for the workshop.  These can be an excellent example of failures in the decoration experiment category 

Glad to hear it!! I made the Leaf Croquant that Rebecca showed us in Vegas. While it is delicious, the edges are a bit shaggy. I was debating about bringing them, but now I will. Thanks:).

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

38 minutes ago, Chocolot said:

Glad to hear it!! I made the Leaf Croquant that Rebecca showed us in Vegas. While it is delicious, the edges are a bit shaggy. I was debating about bringing them, but now I will. Thanks:).

Yum, Rebecca’s leaf croquant is tasty! I still need to try making it — she made it look so easy.

• Like 1

I'm arriving in Toronto on Wednesday about 3:30 pm. I'm planning on taking a bus to NOTL but would not turn down a ride if anyone is arriving around that time and renting a car.  

Also, is there a plan for dinner on Wednesday? 

6 hours ago, curls said:

Yum, Rebecca’s leaf croquant is tasty! I still need to try making it — she made it look so easy.

Me too,  really liked that stuff. Maybe a project for this trip?

eGullet NOTL Workshop 2018 Agenda

Thursday, May 17, 2018

10:30-1:30 Tomric Systems

85 River Rock Dr #202, Buffalo, NY 14207, USA

Brian Donaghy will do some sort of demo for us and we will have the opportunity to purchase molds, colored cocoa butter, etc.
Patty (@patris) will meet us there towards the end so we can purchase our beautiful bespoke dipping bowls!

Friday May 18, 2018

9:00 - 12:00 Master's Class - Are you Nuts? - Nut Pastes, Giandujas, Praline (aka Rodney’s nuts)

Niagara College NOTL campus room HT108 - 135 Taylor Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario - park around the back near the Teaching Brewery and track me down in room HT108 for a parking pass if you haven’t gotten one from me on Thursday. I have 15 parking passes would should be sufficient as we will likely car pool from the hotel.

There will be a light breakfast of pastries available just before class starts for the Nut Paste class participants

12:00 - 1:00 Lunch

Make your own sandwiches.

1:00 - 4:00 Master’s Class - Raising the Bar

Niagara College NOTL campus room HT108 - 135 Taylor Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario - park around the back near the Teaching Brewery

Dinner on your own
7:00 pm Show and Tell

Garden View A room - Hilton Garden Inn 500 York Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario L0S 1J0 
Bring some confections that you have made to share with the group (and for bragging rights) - BYOB - sneak it in - bring your own tumbler for your wine as well as I don't believe glasses will be available. 

Saturday May 19, 2018

9:00 - 4:00 Workshop 

Niagara College NOTL campus room HT119 -  135 Taylor Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario - park around the back near the Teaching Brewery - parking passed not required on Saturday and Sunday

9:00 - 11:00 Lisabeth Flanaghan on Bean to Bar Chocolate Discussion and Tasting 

11:00 - 4:00 Playtime - teach each other what we know, learn what we want to learn

Breakfast pastries will be set out in the am, and ingredients to make your own sandwiches for lunch will be provided on both Saturday and Sunday. Those who have attended the Master’s Classes might be bored of the choices by Sunday! 

6:30 - …Dinner at the College 

Niagara College NOTL campus room HT108 - 135 Taylor Road, Niagara-on-the-Lake, Ontario - park around the back near the Teaching Brewery

Sunday May 20, 2018

9:00 - 4:00 Workshop

Finish projects or start new ones. Clean up at 3:30, leave by 4:00.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'm bringing Greweling. But no other books - I've already spent one day lugging hundreds of kg of chocolate to Niagara - so I'm going to limit the stuff I have to lug back.

I'm going to bring photocopies of the recipes (mostly from William Curley) I'm thinking about trying out and a few base recipes (mostly from Greweling) -- happy to let people look at those.

18 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I'd be happy to bring my copy of Greweling as well. I'm planning to bring my copies of BraveTart (Stella Parks) and Sweet Miniatures (Flo Braker) as both these books have things I'm interested in playing with.

We'll be driving up on Friday afternoon. Is this going to be the best place for those of us not taking master classes to discuss dinner options for Friday before show and tell?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

15 minutes ago, MelissaH said:

We'll be driving up on Friday afternoon. Is this going to be the best place for those of us not taking master classes to discuss dinner options for Friday before show and tell?

Looks like two other people are bringing Greweling. I'll probably just not bother to bring mine. Less to lug. Anybody bringing Wybauw? Maybe I should bring Morato but it's even heavier.

I suspect here is the best place to talk about dinner options. Might want to cross post on Facebook.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Beets3 said:

I'm arriving in Toronto on Wednesday about 3:30 pm. I'm planning on taking a bus to NOTL but would not turn down a ride if anyone is arriving around that time and renting a car.  

Also, is there a plan for dinner on Wednesday? 

My sister mentioned that the Go train goes from Toronto to Niagara now.  You might want to look into it.