• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Kerry Beal

Sorry that I haven't been active in the conversation.  Life has simply been a bit overly busy recently.  That said, I'm happy to be attending and look forward to NOT spending the entire weekend in bed with bronchitis like I did last year.  No deathly pallor for me!

I'm arriving late afternoon on Thursday.  Would anyone care to meet for dinner?  Inquiring minds want to know!

• Like 1

Steve Lebowitz

Doer of All Things

Steven Howard Confections

Slicing a warm slab of bacon is a lot like giving a ferret a shave. No matter how careful you are, somebody's going to get hurt - Alton Brown, "Good Eats"

TOMRIC CARPOOL from NOTL

Hello everyone, I haven't yet had the pleasure to make anyone's acquaintance apart from Kerry and Rodney - but nothing like an across the border road trip to change that fast, right? I will be arriving from Toronto early Thursday morning. I'm not sure if there have been any arrangements sorted about carpooling but am happy to help sort arrangements.

Who is planning on going to Tomric via NOTL Thursday morning and needs a ride or can provide a ride? 

57 minutes ago, RobertM said:

I vote for Art and Wilma....

They aren't coming - too busy this year. Was talking to Art at the Bakery Show last week.

1 hour ago, Chocolot said:

How about going to The Cannery? We ate there last time and I think it was pretty good.

I remember going to a couple of places I liked - don't recall any names though.

On 5/12/2018 at 2:09 PM, patris said:

@RobertM bubble wrap is a great idea...

The gang is finally all together! I hope you will indulge a final class photo along with a few remaining details.

26B50D9F-C3A0-4B74-93D7-1694509BD3B9.thumb.jpeg.af4e381e726155a0c0b4c6863f573d60.jpeg

With the exception of @Tri2Cook and @Sweet Impact Mama whose bowls will be shipped to them, I will meet the group toward the end of your Tomric visit on Thursday and will take payment at that time. Cash (USD) is preferred, but checks are ok if necessary. If you use Apple Pay or the Cash App, that would be fine too and we can handle that on delivery.  If you will NOT be at Tomric, please send me a PM so we can sort out payment, and I will ask @Kerry Beal to bring your bowls to the workshop. @MelissaH - I know you will not be at Tomric and I think you have my details for sending a check.

One final comment about glaze behavior over time. A few of the glazes (hyacinth and forest green in particular) may develop very fine cracks or crazing. This is a feature of these glazes and does not affect their durability or safety, so don’t be alarmed if you see it happening. All the glazes are microwave and dishwasher safe.

Looking forward to seeing many of you on Thursday - safe travels to all!

They are all so pretty! Can't wait to see mine IRL. :-D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Chocolot said:

How about going to The Cannery? We ate there last time and I think it was pretty good.

There are several on Yelp that sound good....

Tread wells Farm to Table

Backhouse

The Farmhouse Cafe

The Garrison House

just need to figure out how much we want to spend ...and type of food....

If people are willing to drive there are some close'ish places that Kerry & Anna have gone to that look good... Kerry I think all of these are within an hour of the hotel but don't know how large a group they can accommodate.

- Grimsby Thai

and in Hamilton:

- Lemongrass

- Brux House

- August 8

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

It was the Old Winery we went to in 2013. Just down the road from the hotel. 

Yup, it was the Winery not Cannery. Didn't we eat at an Irish pub, too? Irish Harp? Too long ago:)

Edited by Chocolot (log)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

6 hours ago, Chocolot said:

Yup, it was the Winery not Cannery. Didn't we eat at an Irish pub, too? Irish Harp? Too long ago:)

I had Guinness stew - it was downtown NOTL as I recall.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

I had Guinness stew - it was downtown NOTL as I recall.

Yep.  It was the Irish Harp.   Think I was there that year!

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

For those newly joining us, the veterans, and the curious about the great Niagara on the Lake Chocolates & Confections Workshops here are the links (AKA rabbit holes) to our past reports (not going to try to track down the other reports -- I'll leave that as an exercise for someone else). 2018 report coming soon!

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

How many do you think we will be on Thursday?

Kerry I'm a yes - if one car I would love to snag a spot in yours. If two cars required - I can also drive 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Diana D said:

Kerry I'm a yes - if one car I would love to snag a spot in yours. If two cars required - I can also drive 

Let's touch base Wednesday night - we should have better idea then of what the Thursday am situation will be.

One slight change - our Saturday dinner will no longer be in the cooking lab - instead they are moving us to a posh wine tasting room (we'll have signs up to redirect - I can't recall the number off hand). It's all related to the illegality of having wine in the the cooking lab. Apparently we are fortunate that we haven't been caught in the past. But problem was solved by a change of room. And I will, going forward, buy wine using the college's liquor license for events held there. It would have gotten us a break on the price apparently so it's too bad we didn't find out about it until now. 

• Like 1