Jump to content
  • Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Kerry Beal

Chocolate Workshop 2018 Niagara on the Lake

Recommended Posts

Our annual eGullet Chocolate and Confectionary Workshop 2018 will be held again in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada the weekend of May 19th and 20th, 2018.

 

We will attempt to organize a masters class of some sort on Friday the 18th for anyone interested.

 

This year I plan to collect money ahead of time so that if anyone is unable to show up - no shows have come out of my pocket in the past and that won't be happening again! If you are unable to attend then you will be able to sell your spot to someone else. 

 

I have no idea as yet what the cost will be but it it unlikely to be too different from other years - although we will need to rent the room at the college for a 3rd day for the Master's class so we'll have to factor that in.

 

Of course we welcome any thoughts around what people might want to learn. 

 

For those who have not attended previously - we get together and teach each other what we know. The Master's class will usually be taught by someone with advanced knowledge and an additional cost is associated with that because we pay them.

 

 


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very good chance that I'll be able to attend this one.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, pastryani said:

Count me in too please!

 

Need a driver?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/29/2017 at 11:56 AM, RobertM said:

 

Need a driver?  

 

Lol YES PLEASE!! :D  One seat reserved, @Beets3 and @Jim D. have yet to confirm. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Count me in - no impending deaths on the horizon. I likely won't pay extra for the master class, but will do the usual workshop stuff.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attendees:

 

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attendees:

 

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot


Edited by Kerry Beal (log)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/28/2017 at 1:03 PM, Kerry Beal said:

Our annual eGullet Chocolate and Confectionary Workshop 2018 will be held again in Niagara on the Lake, Ontario, Canada the weekend of May 19th and 20th, 2018.

 

We will attempt to organize a masters class of some sort on Friday the 18th for anyone interested.

 

This year I plan to collect money ahead of time so that if anyone is unable to show up - no shows have come out of my pocket in the past and that won't be happening again! If you are unable to attend then you will be able to sell your spot to someone else. 

 

I have no idea as yet what the cost will be but it it unlikely to be too different from other years - although we will need to rent the room at the college for a 3rd day for the Master's class so we'll have to factor that in.

 

Of course we welcome any thoughts around what people might want to learn. 

 

For those who have not attended previously - we get together and teach each other what we know. The Master's class will usually be taught by someone with advanced knowledge and an additional cost is associated with that because we pay them.

 

 

 

 

What if we don't know anything?  How does one get from the airport to Niagara on the lake?  Do we have to rent a car?  Is it a block of rooms type thing?  Like, if I wanted to make it a longer trip, would I be able to?

 

It sounds interesting, definitely.  For me, cost is going to be a huge factor.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing nothing is not an issue - someone will take you in hand and teach you the basics. 

 

Toronto airport to Niagara on the Lake is about 100 km - from the Buffalo airport a lot less. But there is a border in between.

 

I will organize a block of rooms at the Hilton Garden Inn - lots of people have shared in the past. I've got my roomie already. I'll make sure to see if I can get a rate on both sides of the weekend so that people can spend longer. NOTL is a wonderful place to spend a few extra days - and you can always drive down the see the bride's second great disappointment.

 

 

  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could you please add me as a maybe? I'll be able to confirm early in December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attendees:

 

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH (pending)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One event at a time please....but I had mentioned to Kerry before that as I continue to get established in St. Louis I would love to suggest it as a site for a future event. Today I toured Bissinger's Chocolates with the head chocolatier who was extremely generous with his knowledge, and I was surprised at the level of hand crafting that was still going on. On a side note, Rick Jordan is ceasing operation and maybe leaving the field. Sad since I think he's one of the top in the nation...plus side I'm checking out his used equipment ;)  [please let's not sidetrack the intent of this thread with comments. I just wanted it stated so we can talk about it in Niagara.]

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/6/2017 at 9:29 AM, blbst36 said:

How does one get from the airport to Niagara on the lake?

Just a follow-up to Kerry's comment about flying in: the Buffalo airport is small and easy to navigate, and the border crossing there was pretty painless last time I went to the Workshop in Niagara. Alas, I can't make it this year (or really any year in May, unfortunately).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chris Hennes said:

Just a follow-up to Kerry's comment about flying in: the Buffalo airport is small and easy to navigate, and the border crossing there was pretty painless last time I went to the Workshop in Niagara. Alas, I can't make it this year (or really any year in May, unfortunately).

That's a shame Chris - you and Karen will be missed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Attendees:

 

RobertM

gfron1 (tentative)

pastryani

tikidoc

ChocolateMom

Audrey Brown

TandemChocoPC

Chocolot

MelissaH (pending)

Beets3

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Put me down as a very big maybe...as many of you know there's a strong chance I'll actually be giving the biz a real go this winter.  That means more flexibility to travel and the option to use it as a tax write off, the downside is that I will be counting pennies a little more stringently than in the past.  I'd of course love to come, and will work my darnedest to make it work, but will have to be tentative at this point.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×