• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Your Daily Sweets: What Are You Making and Baking? (2017 – )

pjm333

Pick a card, any card...

image.thumb.png.adb163be8e917c35b6d73b5c541019a9.png

These are almond, pistachio and sour cherry wafers from Ottolenghi Sweet*. The dough is chilled then sliced thinly (2-3 mm or ⅛-inch) and baked. I expected it would be difficult to slice, given the nuts, but it was pretty straightforward with a sharp knife. However, despite having what seemed to be the indicated thickness, they baked-up a little tough. Only where an edge or a side was a lot thinner were they crisp and wafer-like. He says that at the bakery they use a meat slicer, so maybe that's where my issue lies. To avoid the toughness I underbaked them a touch, yielding a more gingerbread-like texture. They're handsome cookies, no doubt, but I'll wait until I get a Benriner before tackling them again.

Flicking through Richard Sax's Classic Home Desserts, I alighted upon the Whipped Cream Pound Cake...

image.thumb.png.52b8181d4e059bb7ce097469b258aa37.png

I liked it a lot. The crumb was light and delicate, and you could definitely taste the cream. I made a whipped cream cake a few months ago from the King Arthur website, but that used a different method. This Sax version is better. 

The only issue I had was folding the cream into the eggs/flour. Looking at the slices you can see the top is a little paler than the bottom...

image.thumb.png.02406ab0a72b00803a91e4d719f66446.png

...and you can make out a swirl here and there, so the cream could've done with a few more folds to incorporate better. (The top of the cake is where the last of the batter was gathered together in the bowl, getting that extra blending). Having said that, I wouldn't want to risk knocking out any more volume and impacting the texture. It's really just a visual thing.

*It's an excellent book. The Kindle version is currently discounted on Amazon - five bucks on the US site, but they're practically giving it away for 99p on the UK site.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

@Pete Fred

your Pound Cake looks stunning .

I can see your Expert Concerns about that lighter top.

I know you willl work that out 

not too fat 

as you can send me all the imperfect ones .

Id love them .  we all have our histories of baking PC.

mine , right out of Fanny Farmer .  

Two Loafs , very nice and tasty .

My sister , send me that same loaf , in college .

I enjoyed it.   it had a good chew , at that point .

wondered about the other loaf.  the Rx made two.

3 0r 4 months later , back at homer vacation

my father pulls out a small log , from the ' flour drawer '

yes , a ' flower drawer '   not used at that time

and then shaved off parts of the log

to put on ice cream , had packed from both Baskin Robbins 

and Swensons , in they very early days.

worked fine ..

• Haha 1

Continuing to browse Classic Home Desserts by Richard Sax, the St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake sounded like it might be on to something. Gooey. Butter. Cake. What more do you need to hear?

After a little digging around it turned out to be one of those bakes that stirs up strong emotions in its devoted followers. As far as I could make out there are two broad types: bready base, buttery top; or (yellow) cake base, buttery cream cheese top.

I figured the bready kind was more my kinda thing...

Gooey1.thumb.png.1411c0b2df6c57838e22e9aa5707ef73.png

Gooey2.thumb.png.3176eb9fe6c298d99ef630763eedc2c6.png

Having no frame of reference for this particular regional delicacy I have absolutely no idea how it measures up. I followed almost identical recipes at the NYT and King Arthur, and both indicated pulling it while the centre was still liquid. I'm guessing the idea is you can choose your desired level of gooeyness: corner, edge, or middle...

Gooey3.thumb.png.4c2043be70ce702a6fce18f2bc600dad.png

I can't say I was particularly enamoured. It was a bit one-note: mainly sweet, and not especially buttery. I preferred the breadier bits, so I guess that makes me a corner person. I'll have another nibble tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Pete Fred said:

Continuing to browse Classic Home Desserts by Richard Sax, the St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake sounded like it might be on to something. Gooey. Butter. Cake. What more do you need to hear?

After a little digging around it turned out to be one of those bakes that stirs up strong emotions in its devoted followers. As far as I could make out there are two broad types: bready base, buttery top; or (yellow) cake base, buttery cream cheese top.

I figured the bready kind was more my kinda thing...

Gooey1.thumb.png.1411c0b2df6c57838e22e9aa5707ef73.png

Gooey2.thumb.png.3176eb9fe6c298d99ef630763eedc2c6.png

Having no frame of reference for this particular regional delicacy I have absolutely no idea how it measures up. I followed almost identical recipes at the NYT and King Arthur, and both indicated pulling it while the centre was still liquid. I'm guessing the idea is you can choose your desired level of gooeyness: corner, edge, or middle...

Gooey3.thumb.png.4c2043be70ce702a6fce18f2bc600dad.png

I can't say I was particularly enamoured. It was a bit one-note: mainly sweet, and not especially buttery. I preferred the breadier bits, so I guess that makes me a corner person. I'll have another nibble tomorrow and see if that makes a difference.

I think that I'd agree with you.  I'm a corner of the cobbler, pie crust, edge of the cookie person.  My daughter makes a gooey butter cake that's very sweet, but with good flavor.  Hers uses a cake mix, which your didn't, of course.  But one ingredient that hers does have that the KA doesn't is cream cheese.  I think it adds a nice tang that balances the sweetness a bit.  

• Thanks 1

I did a little more tinkering with the recipes from the last week or so...

Screenshot2024-03-09at5_49_47pm.thumb.png.8120acaafab704e771b3a22c3241021b.png

Banana pudding: I used my regular pastry cream recipe (more yolks) for a richer custard; infused the milk with bananas; custard powder instead of cornflour (for a yellow hue); a saltier, darker caramel; and a dusting of fresh nutmeg. All successful upgrades, so job done.

Nutty cherry wafers: managed to cut super-thin slices with a regular knife so they were easier on the teeth! Big hit with the neighbours.

Whipped cream cake: folded in the cream a little more, and reduced the amount of batter for the tin. Still had the colour banding at the top, and the crumb might have been a touch tighter. Seeing as you'd probably never notice the colour thing unless it was pointed out, in future I'll under- rather than over-mix. It's a good cake.

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

Another one from The Joy of Sax (Classic Home Desserts), the Peanut Butter Pie...

Peanut1.thumb.png.142f37f5facdefd952f015e378cbfd45.png

Peanut2.thumb.png.e51c9b936eea75b18fdb2a573c3efeba.png

It's really just a set cheesecake, and somewhat mousse-like. The book has a Graham cracker crust with sides and a chocolate ganache topping. I used some of the leftovers from the banana pudding instead: the crushed wafers for the base, and the salted butter caramel for the topping. Would've been nice with a scattering of chopped peanuts for crunch, and the filling would benefit from a pinch of salt.

All together now... 🎵 Try, try some peanut butter pie 🎵

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 2

Got around to finishing my birthday cake (somewhat). 
Ran out of buttercream for the layered retro piping thing that’s going on now. 
All chocolate throughout (and the one Rocher on top, even though I decided against hazelnuts inside this time).

IMG_4978.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Delicious 3

I didn’t bake this, but enjoyed it at a little French bakery in Sarasota, FL. The lemon merengue tart was outstanding for it’s tart lemon filling (not overly sweet) and the merengue was closer to marshmallow texture.

PXL_20240314_180236059_Original.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Delicious 1

"Only dull people are brilliant at breakfast" - Oscar Wilde

(Yet) another lemon polenta cake...

LemonPolentaCake.thumb.png.39e95bb550183ff29371886dab6a222d.png

It does get a good soak with lemon syrup, but the photo makes it look a little more sodden than it eats.

With all the leftover egg whites from recent banana pudding adventures, I made marshmallows (Thomas Keller recipe). Vanilla...

Marshmallows(Vanilla).thumb.png.208d616d666469a03e8ef5b03e745a10.png

And chestnut (crème de marrons)...

Marshmallows(Chestnut).thumb.png.3384214d6fd425e9b0957cae216bc574.png

As you can see, the chestnut purée didn't add much colour-wise, just a hint of beige, and the flavour was quite subtle, but it was pleasant enough.

I picked up Yossy Arefi's Snacking Bakes on Kindle for a buck-fifty and have bookmarked a few recipes. First up were the Raspberry Mazurkas (or Polish Wedding Cakes)...

Mazurka.thumb.png.74692a256954e69769e3c01193879f35.png

MazurkaSlice.thumb.png.6431feaa3dc2b5933b4cc2b99ea91505.png

Apparently, Mazurka Bars were a thing in 90s Seattle. Yay! for Emerald City.

I didn't have enough raspberry jam so bulked it out with fig jam. (Figsberry, anyone?) Anyway, they were good. Crumbly, jammy, and a little chewy. Recipe here. (Oh, and like any recipe published after 1976, it NEEDS MORE SALT! )

Edited by Pete Fred
Spelling (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1