• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese BBQ'd Spare Ribs

I think baby backs are second-tier ribs. Not as meaty or succulent as those straight bone ribs I grew up with. Plus the restaurants that feature them usually purchase them frozen.

After I read his Blue Smoke Q & A, I discovered that Danny Meyer apparently agrees with me, praising the St Louis cut regular ribs as the way to go. Yet marketers have had a field day with those alliterative baby backs. Sounds better, doesn't it? But do they eat as well?

What do y'all think?

Haven't made Chinese BBQ'd ribs but we're a split household on the rib question in general - I like the spare ribs, The Dane likes the baby backs - since I do most of the cooking, I get to call the shots! We eat the straight ones 90 percent of the time!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Baby backs are more idiot-proof, though, especially the way they're typically packaged (already cooked or otherwise pre-processed) at Costco et al. So the average home cook gets better results from baby backs and the perception is that they're inherently more tender. It doesn't help that most Chinese-restaurant spare ribs are godawful, chewy, stringy, reheated crap.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Straight ribs, esecially St. louis or here in Toronto, country style. Lots of meat on those country style ribs. Never baby backs.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Country style ribs: Are they actually ribs?

Well, kind of. One gets a lovely roast and a few sets of small rib pieces. Wonderful.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Maybe this varies by region or nation, but here's what the Carolina Barbecue Association says:

Country style ribs are actually not ribs at all but are cut from the blade (front) end of the loin, right behind the upper portion of the pork shoulder.  They are more like fatty pork chops than ribs.  While they have more fat per pound than any of the other styles of ribs, the fat is in layers and the meat between those layers is leaner and less marbled than most other ribs.  They are the meatiest of all the "ribs". Note:  Because country style ribs are not true ribs, they are not legal under KCBS rules for the ribs category.

http://www.cbbqa.com/pork/Ribs.html

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Steve, I've looked for a photograph but can't find one.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

So eddie, do you have a good roast Chinese spare rib recipe for home cooks? Can this be done without specialized equipment?

And, what can you tell us about the disappearance of the fabled neon red spare ribs of yore?

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

Maybe this varies by region or nation, but here's what the Carolina Barbecue Association says:
Country style ribs are actually not ribs at all but are cut from the blade (front) end of the loin, right behind the upper portion of the pork shoulder.  They are more like fatty pork chops than ribs.  While they have more fat per pound than any of the other styles of ribs, the fat is in layers and the meat between those layers is leaner and less marbled than most other ribs.  They are the meatiest of all the "ribs". Note:  Because country style ribs are not true ribs, they are not legal under KCBS rules for the ribs category.

http://www.cbbqa.com/pork/Ribs.html

Maybe it's a Canadian thing, but we sure call them ribs here. All the country style ribs I get look like ribs, they just have a lot more meat on them. :unsure:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

So eddie, do you have a good roast Chinese spare rib recipe for home cooks? Can this be done without specialized equipment?

I know Ed has a truly remarkable rib recipe. It was published in the NY Times Sunday magazine about 6-7 years ago.

Article Title

"Eddie's Remarkable Ribs" I lent the damn recipe to someone and never got it back. I do recall using black vinegar and ketchup in the recipe.

Please Eddie come forth.

Although not bbq'd, my favorite St. Paul (Minnesota) dim sum joint serves some little ribs -- riblets (I think they are called), but they are meaty, which indicates they are not baby backs.

What's different is that they are not bbq'd -- they come in the little steamer tray thingies, and are almost white. I've tried and tried to recreate, but no success.

I get the impression that they have been fried, but then "braised" or steamed. I think garlic is the predominate spice, but they have been cooked long enough that it isn't like garlic is when it has been fried. They are absolutely sublime. How do I recreate these things?

??????

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

• 2 weeks later...
I know Ed has a  truly remarkable rib recipe. It was published in the NY Times Sunday magazine about 6-7 years ago.

Article Title

"Eddie's Remarkable Ribs" I lent the damn recipe to someone and never got it back. I do recall using black vinegar and ketchup in the recipe.

Please Eddie come forth.

Time to bring this one back to the top. Ribs have been on sale constantly here.

Also, Eddie, see my post (just prior to this one) about the non-bbq'd ribs.

Help!

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

Although not bbq'd, my favorite St. Paul (Minnesota) dim sum joint serves some little ribs -- riblets (I think they are called), but they are meaty, which indicates they are not baby backs.

What's different is that they are not bbq'd -- they come in the little steamer tray thingies, and are almost white.  I've tried and tried to recreate, but no success.

I get the impression that they have been fried, but then "braised" or steamed.  I think garlic is the predominate spice, but they have been cooked long enough that it isn't like garlic is when it has been fried.  They are absolutely sublime.  How do I recreate these things?

??????

I'm guessing this is pie gwat (um, that's an attempt at a phonetic spelling). Spare ribs get cut accross the bone in 2 inch strips and then cut between the bone to cube them. Marinate in white pepper, light soya, shaosing wine, sesame oil and tapioca flour. Crush up some fermented black beans (dau see) and garlic (about 1 T beans to 1 clove garlic), mix in a little oil so it will stick to the ribs, toss with the ribs. Spread them out on a plate (I like to use pyrex pie plates), sprinkle with a little sliced red chilli and steam on high for around 20 minutes or until you think they're done.

regards,

trillium

Still hoping that Eddie will post his "Remarkable Rib Recipe". :wub:

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

• 8 months later...
FYI, Eddie's Remarkable Ribs BBQ Sauce has been posted by Oceangroveguy.

Click here

While this BBQ sauce recipe uses some Chinese ingredients it is really my version of an American BBQ sauce that is meant to glaze a rack of ribs that which has been slow roasted in a kettle using the indirect method. The sauce recipe is inspired by a version the I learned from Craig Claiborne many years ago.

ROASTING & SAUCING AMERICAN STYLE BBQ'd PORK RIBS

1. Season 2 meaty racks of spare ribs with garlic, salt and pepper. I would typically use two 2.25-2.5 lb. racks of regular cut ribs, not back ribs, trimmed St Louis style (cartilagenous tops and 1' of bottoms trimmed).

2. Prepare a charcoal fire in your kettle. I prefer using 'real' charcoal and then like to add a cup of wood chips soaked in water if they're available. I prefer applewood, though hickory is fine - don't use mesquite however, it's best use is for grilling not smoking. Push the coals to opposites sides of the fire box, add the wood chips, then place your ribs on the rack centered so that they are not directly above the coals. Cover the kettle and roast the ribs at 325 degrees (I have a thermometer in my kettle) for 65-70 minutes. When properly cooked they should appear well browned and almost finished. Turn them over once or twice while roasting so they brown/cook evenly.

3. Remove the ribs and set on the side while you tend to the fire. Rake the coals flat and add a few more if necessary. You want a medium hot fire with no flame.

4. To glaze the ribs, return them to the grill but this time place them directly over the heat source. Brush them liberally with the BBQ sauce, turning them so that the side facing the heat starts to bubble and then brown around the edges. The ribs should be turned and sauced generously for 5-10 minutes until they are burnished and richly glazed.

I love the meaty texture, smoky taste and slightly charred quality of these ribs. If you'd like to achieve that super soft fall off the bone texture (I prefer tender but with a little more bite), hold the lightly foil-wrapped finished ribs in a 250 degree oven for about 1/2 hour.

PS - These days i often add some 'jalapeno peppers in adobo sauce' to my sauce recipe. I would then leave out or decrease the tobasco.