• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Didn't Save A Recipe

Porthos

In a magazine we get was a recipe for a Rum Raisin Chocolate Bark. We decided to add that to this year's Christmas Cookie Tins. Unfortunately, we don't remember which magazine it was in and now can't find the recipe.

This was a rather involved recipe and called for multiple kinds of chocolate and I'm thinking there was some sugar taken to a soft ball (or softer) stage. Can anyone here help us?

Edited by Porthos
Typo (log)

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

What magazines do you get?

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

@Maison Rustique  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!  That is the recipe.

Edited to add:

As is my habit, I have captured the recipe as a Word document and formatted it the way I like to read recipes.

I have changed up the instructions a bit. I can't imagine trying to incorparate the chocolate into the toffee mixture in the jelly roll pan ( I will use a 1/2 sheet baker's pan). I will use a larger oven-proof saucepan, do the baking in that, then add the chocolate to the saucepan, finally pouring the final mixture into the jelly roll pan.  @Kerry Beal Do you see any folly in this?

Edited by Porthos (log)
  • Like 2

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

Funny - was just looking at the recipe and thinking that was very strange mixing the chocolate into hot toffee. I can't quite picture how this is going to end up

Toffee taken to 225 F is not going to be crunchy in any way - and I don't think that 20 minutes in the oven will get it up to 300. 

Sounds like it will make more of a ganache than a bark.

Was there a picture of the finished product anywhere?

• Like 1

So I'm taking one for the team right now and trying this. So far I have taken the mixture to 225F and poured it on the pan - it's essentially liquid. It's got another 10 minutes or so in the oven before I put the chocolate on. Will report back.

• Like 6

IMG_3795.jpg

IMG_3797.jpg

IMG_3798.jpg

Well - it's not bark - I'll give you that. It's a great greasy puddle.

I think the recipe is seriously flawed (at least as any approximation to a bark).

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Well - it's not bark - I'll give you that. It's a great greasy puddle.

I think the recipe is seriously flawed (at least as any approximation to a bark).

I'm always skeptical of candy recipes that call to set and be stored in the fridge.

This looks like something a blogger tried to do once and it sort of came out OK so they just went ahead and pretended it was quality content.

• Like 1

I didn't refrigerate (because there would be no reason to based on the ingredients) - it's a big block of fudge like ganache this am. Doesn't taste of rum because it all get's boiled off in the process. Might try cutting it and dipping the pieces to make some bars. 

Perhaps later today I'll see if I can put together a recipe that will make a croquant toffee with raisins and figure out how we can get some rum flavour in there that could be used to make a bark.

• Like 3

Ok - how about adapting this krokant recipe - 

• 200 grams sugar
  • 170 grams glucose
  • 40 grams water
  • ½ vanilla bean, split lengthwise
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
  • 85 grams butter 

Bring vanilla bean sugar, glucose and water to boil. Put lid on for a minute to make sure all sugar crystals are dissolved. Cook to 115 celcius (240 F). Add salt and butter, stir well and cook again to 143 C (290 F). Pour out on parchment, roll flat with silicone rolling pin (or oiled marble or steel rolling pin). When cool break into chunks, dip in tempered chocolate. Alternately, process in food processor to fine chunks and add to tempered chocolate before molding. 

I'd add rum soaked then dried raisins to the bark. not to the toffee. Break krokant into chunks - temper some dark chocolate (I think I'd prefer milk for these), spread thin layer, sprinkle toffee bits and raisins - drizzle a bit more chocolate to cover. 

9 hours ago, Kerry Beal said:

Perhaps later today I'll see if I can put together a recipe that will make a croquant toffee with raisins and figure out how we can get some rum flavour in there that could be used to make a bark.

The answer is obvious... make the bark with raisins scattered over the top so they're exposed and after it sets, go back with a hypodermic needle and inject each individual raisin with rum! :P :D

• Like 7

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.