• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Bread Topic (2016–)

DianaM

@Captain, I love the look of your white loaves.  What recipe are you using for those beautiful loaves. 

Dough made on Monday using a sourdough biga.
Matt made a pizza yesterday using 550g grams and I saved another 350g for our pizza tonight.
The remaining dough was taken out of the fridge last night and left on the counter and
SourdoughminibaguettesforsandwichesJuly3rd2024.thumb.jpg.5be229b36cdf8d236f1c21dc18b3fcf5.jpg
I baked six mini sandwich size baguettes this morning.
Just out of the oven.

• Like 6
  • Delicious 2

Some more small baguettes, these have black olives, herbs de Provence and a little evoo; a few tablespoons of rye and buckwheat found their way into the dough.  Planning on sandwiches and a salad for supper as we had a large lunch!

IMG_6684.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Delicious 2

• 2 weeks later...

Took a huge step. I have had Hemingway, my starter from a dear friend who is longer with us, for a few years and have kept it going even though I haven't baked much the past few years with all the turmoil.

I have a bit in the fridge on the off chance that the temp drops below 75 any time soon (ha ha) but I have dried much of it for longer term storage. I just don't see me baking much until I am through with house crap.
I call it Hemingway because it was the son of my friend's starter that she grew from scratch. She called hers Kevin. Mine is Hemingway because Kevin's son also rises. Sleep well Hemingway!

Sorry for huge photo!
image.thumb.png.9b5b92e1cf2e42146b8bdcd48975650d.png
  • Like 9

Deb

Liberty, MO

@Maison Rustique, Deb, can you please tell me how you dried your starter.  And do you store it in the freezer?  

SourdoughLevaindoughJuly9thpizzaJuly15th2024.thumb.jpg.f8f9915e04c0e207f53b7ed8df6874b0.jpg

Last night's pizza and
LevainsourdoughmadeJuly9thbakedJuly16th2024.thumb.jpg.52562a6ab9672174c1732b4907755d19.jpg

this morning's baguette bake.

Dough had been in the fridge since July 9th. Started with a sourdough Levain.
Took 400g of dough out yesterday afternoon to make the pizza for dinner. Pizza was baked in the OONI.
The remaining dough came out of the fridge last night at 8:PM and left on the counter until 3:30 this morning.
Baked five baguettes.
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

This dough surpassed my expectations.

SourdoughBiga9dayoldbakedJuly18th2024.thumb.jpg.38420d43ecf0b85bbb12bf6b5c669453.jpg
It has been too hot to bake so I was afraid that the 9 day long cold fermentation might have been stretching its limits.

This dough  was started with a sourdough biga.

I took it out of the fridge last night and left if on the counter until 3:30 this morning.
SourdoughBiga9dayoldbakedJuly18th20245.thumb.jpg.de8f339cff29c6cdb8d6733debedc0f9.jpg
Baked six various size baguettes.
  • Like 8
  • Delicious 1

On 7/16/2024 at 11:54 AM, Maison Rustique said:

@Ann_T, I followed the directions given here by King Arthur Flour. I've got it in a Mason jar and storing in the pantry.

For what it's worth, a good amount of discussion here and here on "fleur de levain," though it's in German (I'm part of a German baking community on FB).  Though these aren't used as leavening, rather just a flavoring component using up excess sourdough or "Anstellgut."

paul's fleur de levain.jpg

• Like 2

-Paul

Remplis ton verre vuide; Vuide ton verre plein. Je ne puis suffrir dans ta main...un verre ni vuide ni plein. ~ Rabelais

• 2 weeks later...
I didn't have any doughs in the fridge and I wanted to bake so,
I made my regular yeast baguette dough and instead of just a gram or two of yeast and a long cold fermentation, I increased the yeast. Reminded me of the Julia Child's baguette recipe I use to make years ago.
Dough was started at 3:00 AM and the last baguette came out of the oven just after 8:00 AM.
image.thumb.png.9d430fc68722f82c868dcf16e6dd5afa.png

Four baguettes at 215g each. 500g flour at 70% hydration. 
image.thumb.png.ea8e70a01ba90c1df4c05bf6b9d46433.png
Even some shine on the crumb. Not bad for a 5 hour dough.
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1

I've been working on my baguettes . . .

ran across a on-line video demonstrating the 'stretch&fold' thing - four rotations of stretch&fold, repeated 4 times . . .

as being the 'secret' to the airy big holes texture.

what's your opinion on the stretch&fold technique?

your results speak for themselves !

17 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

I've been working on my baguettes . . .

ran across a on-line video demonstrating the 'stretch&fold' thing - four rotations of stretch&fold, repeated 4 times . . .

as being the 'secret' to the airy big holes texture.

what's your opinion on the stretch&fold technique?

your results speak for themselves !

I've been using the stretch and fold method now for 10 years. 

Edited to add:   You can get that same big hole texture by kneading or using a machine to do the kneading.  It is all about developing

the gluten. Also hydration and quality of flour contributes. 

image.thumb.png.4ffdf0cb25251012a9152bbb62854a3b.png

This bread was made back in 2007, and the kneading was done in 

my Electrolux Magic Mill machine and given a cold fermentation.  

Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 1

@Ann_T

thanks!  working on '200g / mini-loaves' lent me to the stretch&fold idea - expanding into the cold ferment as an option to 'oven light' or in summer simply on the counter .

9 minutes ago, AlaMoi said:

@Ann_T

thanks!  working on '200g / mini-loaves' lent me to the stretch&fold idea - expanding into the cold ferment as an option to 'oven light' or in summer simply on the counter .

What do you mean my "oven light".   I've never found the need to add a heat source, not even in the winter when our house is 68 to 70°F.  I prefer a slow rise and a slow proof.

the oven light brings the temp up to 80+/-F

mostly for pizza dough...

which is the usual/more common/non-bread affectionado temp for rising. 

definitely not a favorite temp for cold proofing . . .

3 hours ago, AlaMoi said:

the oven light brings the temp up to 80+/-F

mostly for pizza dough...

which is the usual/more common/non-bread affectionado temp for rising. 

definitely not a favorite temp for cold proofing . . .

I've never felt the need to place the dough in a warmer place. 

I usually put the dough immediately into the fridge after the last stretch and fold and even in the cold

fridge the dough will rise and double.     I take it out six to 8 hours before I want to use and leave it on the counter

to warm up before shaping and leaving to proof. 

Today's bake

SourdoughBigaAugust2ndbakedAugust5th.thumb.jpg.122401faf3aecd665d55162422a91ca8.jpg

Fed both starters Friday morning.
Started two bigas, each with 60g of discard.
Left on the counter until I got home from work.
Made two doughs, each with a biga and another 1000g of flour, and both went into the fridge Friday night.
Took one of the doughs out last night and left it on the counter until 3:30 this morning.
Baked four baguettes. T
wo were started together in the steam oven and two of the baguettes were longer so they were baked in the regular oven
under a large roasting pan lid for the first 15 minutes and then the lid was removed.
I also transferred the two smaller from the CSO to the regular oven after 15 minutes, to finish baking.
SourdoughBigaAugust2ndbakedAugust5th3.thumb.jpg.707b788f5af9b6d62b0eed8cf0568854.jpg
Sliced one this morning for breakfast. 
Edited by Ann_T (log)
  • Like 5
  • Delicious 1