• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Anyone know what meat is attached to this caul fat?

Guykit

I ordered some caul fat from the butcher. When it was delivered it is in long pieces attached to a meat which looks a bit like a tongue! Not what I was expecting - don't even know what animal it is. Anyone seen anything like this before?

IMG_1768.JPG

IMG_1771.JPG

IMG_1773.JPG

2 hours ago, blue_dolphin said:

Looks like a spleen to me.  I know nothing of large animals so it's just a guess but it makes some sense given the anatomy.

spleen.gif.6015125e84d0388f5fa177c947b31

Sorry. I couldn't resist.

I'm guessing the unknown object is extraterrestrial. Has it moved in the past few hours?

(FYI, the comic is Brewster Rockit.)

Edited by Alex
to add information (log)
  • Like 4

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Used to call it "beef melt" when I was growing up.  Cut them up for cat food.  Bloody damn piece of meat it was. And the cat was a miserable spoiled thing.  Too good for anything that came in a can.....

• Like 1

I am curious as to why people are thinking it is spleen. The spleen is a viscus, its parenchyma is spongy and trabecular and there is no "muscle" like what is on that piece of meat.

In regards to the OP, I am not sure of the answer. The caul, from my best guess looks to be omenta. In the human the greater omentum attaches the to the greater curvature of the stomach and the Spleen (as it forms from the dorsal mesogastrium) and in adults, attaches to the anteroinferior aspect of the traverscolon (though I don't know if such an event occurs in bovines). As that piece of meat looks like muscle....I would say it is some part of the abdominal wall or a pre-vertebral muscle. Although that is on the basis that it is greater omentum...which is just a guess

Edit: Wow...probably should have zoomed in...guess it is spleen after all. From the thumbnails it looked like Skeletal muscle...my bad

Edited by Mendel C-k (log)

28 minutes ago, Mendel C-k said:

I am curious as to why people are thinking it is spleen. The spleen is a viscus, its parenchyma is spongy and trabecular and there is no "muscle" like what is on that piece of meat

I'm not sure what you are defining as "muscle" but the capsule that surrounds the spleen is a rather tough fibrous layer that includes smooth muscle cells.   In some species the smooth muscle in the splenic capsule contracts in response to stress.

15 minutes ago, Guykit said:

thanks to everyone for their replies - I can see now that it is spleen. I now have about 20 of them! Any recipes/uses other than cat or dog food?

THIS may be of interest to you. I had the crostini many years ago and liked it, but, that was veal spleen.