• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Is this cauliflower decaying or is it moldy?

gfweb

I'm astonished at the prices people are reporting. I checked out my local emporium yesterday. Cauliflowers were the equivalent of $1.14 per kilo.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

A terrible thing is ignorance, the source of endless human woes, spreading a mist over facts, obscuring truth, and casting a gloom upon the individual life. - Lucian of Samosata (born 120, died after 180 CE)

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

And, reporting live from Cape Town (just bought 4 heads) - $0.65 per head (around 750 g each - I should start an export business!) No brown bits or blemishes, so tonight it is pork bangers served with caramelised onion sauce on cauliflower mash. John.

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

@heidih

It's obvious that Heidi and the rest of the Californians are eating up all the cauliflower, and I don't blame them! :D

We get Ocean Mist Brand here too, but the cheapest I've ever seen a head is $2.50. I thought about getting a head at $3.69 in late November, but cheaped out, and now I could kick myself, because I certainly can't afford some of the prices posted here until they get more reasonable. That's okay, though, because I have access to many other veggies that are delicious roasted too, although I do love me some roasted cauliflower. Thanks to the this long e-G thread/topic, cauliflower moved from a meh vegetable to a coveted one.

I frequently have to trim brown or blackish spots a little where the head has contacted the plastic wrapper and moisture condensed in the fridge. I've seen them in the store like that too, but only buy if they are pristine white. The discoloration isn't deep at all, and no harm has ever come to any of us how ate the trimmed cauliflower.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

All this cauliflower talk. Made me go buy one today.  On sale, *only* $4.59USD for one head.  And at that price, you'd better believe we will eat the whole thing,  every bit of it.  

• Like 1

On 2 January, 2016 at 2:25 PM, Anna N said:

Yep at eight dollars a head which is what we are paying for it at the moment we rescue as much as we can!   I have often wondered if we can mitigate the damage by cutting it into florettes and storing it that way. Not many of us find a need to cook a whole head.  

Oh dear lord!  $8 a head?!?!?!  I pay $0.33 and scream when it goes up to $0.50.  I can't even fathom….

• Like 5

Elizabeth Campbell, baking 10,000 feet up at 1° South latitude.

My eG Food Blog (2011)My eG Foodblog (2012)

I like small/mini cauliflowers - like these shown here - when I do buy cauliflower.  I get them usually at the Farmers' markets in season. Usually around $3.50 or thereabouts per pound. They're attractive when cooked and presented as entire heads nestled on the side of an individual plate of food or on a serving plate.

Large heads of cauliflower at the farmers' markets are also often around $3 per head when available, sometimes more; one or two vendors offer them at higher prices - like $2.50/smallish head (maybe 4-5 inches across). I also like the miniature "spiral pointy shaped" green ones, the yellow or purple ones, again miniature ones. All found at my local farmers' markets, but the one in Broad Ripple in particular. But I rarely buy bigger heads of them anyway, even in the standard supermarkets.

• Like 3

Yesterday at Wegmans, there was a note next to the price listing for the cauliflower. I didn't photograph it, but it said something along the lines of unfavorable growing conditions, expect higher prices for a few weeks, we apologize, blah blah blah.

• Like 1

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

2 hours ago, huiray said:

I like small/mini cauliflowers - like these shown here - when I do buy cauliflower....

Those little cauliflowers look nice.  I will have to look for them.  

Organic cauliflower in my area was $1.99/lb at Sprouts, $3.49/head at TJ's and variously priced between $2-3/lb at my local farmer's market, where I purchased this nice fellow on Thursday:

IMG_2421.jpg.9da340d3e71fb9c0b436bb5fd5c

About 3.5 lbs for $4.  I will eat it all!  Small bruises caused by me and my veg drawer.  

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Related article on the recent price increase for cauliflower:

"There's A Major Cauliflower Shortage..."

The Daily Beast reports that "unusually cold weather" in California and Arizona is to blame for the shortage. The two states produce the bulk of U.S.-grown cauliflower, and "major" drops in temperature there-including overnight dips below freezing-may have stressed the florets.

Plus, it doesn't help that cauliflower is the hot new food trend.¬¬

• Like 2

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver