• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner 2015 (Part 7)

huiray

8 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yes, they are shipped frozen and we keep them frozen.  The shipping ticket tells what day they were harvested and they are harvested and then quickly shipped.  I've eaten most of them raw and I'm still standing lol so......it's not a concern for me :) 

That is extremely interesting to me, as your oysters have looked very fresh to me, and I had absolutely no idea that they could be successfully frozen.

Sometimes I've been known to over buy because my thrifty gene kicks in, and larger quantities are more economical, and have a hard time getting through them, though I have never wasted any. What an absolute boon to be able to pull these low-cal, high-protein treats, loaded with vitamin D and B12 out of the freezer whenever! I'll bet they are easier to open raw too. Brilliant!

This is truly a gift of knowledge, so thank you Shelby.

• Like 1

> ^ . . ^ <

5 hours ago, Thanks for the Crepes said:

That is extremely interesting to me, as your oysters have looked very fresh to me, and I had absolutely no idea that they could be successfully frozen.

Sometimes I've been known to over buy because my thrifty gene kicks in, and larger quantities are more economical, and have a hard time getting through them, though I have never wasted any. What an absolute boon to be able to pull these low-cal, high-protein treats, loaded with vitamin D and B12 out of the freezer whenever! I'll bet they are easier to open raw too. Brilliant!

This is truly a gift of knowledge, so thank you Shelby.

I swear, I wouldn't know they were not fresh out of the ocean and not frozen if someone served them to me.  I go out around 2-3 in the afternoon , haul the bag up out of the freezer and pluck some out.  They sit in a bowl in the kitchen until 6 or so in the evening and by then they are ready to shuck.  Still nice and cold on the inside, but not frozen.  I can't attest to how long they last in the freezer because.....well, we eat them too fast lol.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, Shelby said:

Yes, they are shipped frozen and we keep them frozen.  The shipping ticket tells what day they were harvested and they are harvested and then quickly shipped.  I've eaten most of them raw and I'm still standing lol so......it's not a concern for me :) 

That is proof of the pudding and a bioassay all rolled into one!

• Like 1