• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chris Kimball is leaving America's Test Kitchen - contract dispute

curls

1 hour ago, rotuts said:

PH :

p.s.   did you get any sense that this publication clones the   " what we've improved " and " why this works " mantra of the CI / CC ?

I'm sure it's a good publication on *some* level.

It's unfortunate for him that the first article I read was the one on white-cut chicken -- a dish I've made quite a few times and one I learned from one of my uncles who is Cantonese himself.

So coupled with my own knowledge of that dish, plus my previous experience with CI, the real question is if I'm interested enough in reading the rest of the magazine.  So far it doesn't look good.

2 hours ago, rotuts said:

@ProfessionalHobbit  

love to see the Wiggling Fat on the plate   

YouTube maybe ?

just think  :  had the Hainanese  and so many others Back in the Day  know about SousVide ......

money-mouth.gif

I happen to love fat, so more for me. :D

The writing is exactly like @Anna N describes:  "Here's this dish, here's how I made it better and you should listen to me because I'm Chris Kimball".  Uh...no thanks.

The dish that's on the front cover, the one about caramel oranges?  Well, I don't know about you but the reason why something is called "a classic" is because it doesn't need to be fixed.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Shalmanese said:

Just how many places in this country is Shaoxing wine truly unavailable anymore? It's bizarre that recipes still promote the use of sherry in Chinese recipes without even mentioning that the original version would have used Shaoxing.

I live in one of them. My parents live in another. My MIL lives in a third. Go into any of the nearby stores that sell wine and ask for shaoxing, and nobody's heard of it.

• Like 2

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

1 hour ago, MelissaH said:

I live in one of them. My parents live in another. My MIL lives in a third. Go into any of the nearby stores that sell wine and ask for shaoxing, and nobody's heard of it.

Ditto for Ontario. Yup the cooking grade is readily available in Asian grocery store. Sake, on the other hand, is readily available from cheap to very expensive in the liquor stores. 

• Like 1

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Well, CK finally lived up to his promise and sent me the first edition of Milk Street.

I like it more than CI. The approach is roughly the same, but the dishes are ones I might like to cook, as opposed to more than half the stuff in CI (I don't need to learn how to bread a cutlet three times a year). The pieces are shorter and more to the point (thank goodness)and the gee-whiz writing is muted if not gone.

• Like 4

From the Boston Globe:  America’s Test Kitchen sues former star Christopher Kimball

The claim: The celebrity chef breached his trust with his former employer by building a new venture while still on the ATK payroll and using the company’s databases and recipes to position the venture, known as Milk Street, so it would directly compete with America’s Test Kitchen.

OMG

[ I never get to use this ! ]

the Lawyers are laughing all the way to their Hedge Funds !  three martini Lunches for Both Sides at 

https://foursquare.com/top-places/boston/best-places-martinis

don't we live in an "" interesting World ""

of note to me , as far as I can tell , no one "" prominent "" has moved from the Old ATK etc Hedge Fund to MilkStreet

and my Promised  Free Oct issue of the Mag is not here :

Mr. Chrissy :  its november now , are you really going to send me a Returned from the News-Stand  issue ?

• Like 1

I wouldn't mind Pointing out to each Lawyer Chrew :

where to meet for the Martini's

where to Meat for some Meat

etc etc

Id only charge them for Parking , and a Seat at the Center Table

however . all Doggie Bags are Mine !

and No  they are not for Mr. Cat

Edited by rotuts (log)

Got my copy last week. I enjoyed it. Of course, I am not nearly as accomplished a cook as many of you. A couple of things in it I will likely try. I doubt I'll subscribe.

Given my background in publishing, I was impressed by the quality. Good, heavy stock. He paid a mint to have that done.

• Like 1

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

1 hour ago, Dave the Cook said:

The Washington Post has a good breakdown of what's in the suit filed by ATK: click.

I am not a lawyer, although I sometimes pretend on the internet.

I think challenging the look and feel is not going to be conclusive - except in conjunction with the other claims.

What seems more damning is that - while creating a competing entity - CK held an ownership interest in ATK.  I wonder if - in his mind - this gave him the right to the product(s). That's exactly the opposite of fiduciary responsibility that a board member would normally have.

Still, in the interest of America, I think this thing must be fully litigated at Jack Bishop's tasting table. (Jack: Yes, you might think that Chris, but....)

Edited by IndyRob (log)