• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oliso SmartHub Kickstarter: Another Entrant in the Sous Vide Appliance Field

Chris Hennes

Yes, this is the reason I craig's listed and sold off my SVS - took up too much damn room.

I like the fact that I can put the Anova into a drawer right under my counter.

That is an issue for sure.  I keep my SVS in the basement because kitchen space is precious.

Yes, you should have no problem using your existing cookware to deep fry on the induction hob just as you would on your gas or electric range.  

The intervals are 0 through 10.  Since there is no feedback mechanism with your own cookware it makes more sense to use power levels instead of temperature ranges.  The temperature of different pans will vary at the same power level due to differences in materials and shape.  A standard cast iron pan will get to around 600F on level 10.

Shalmanese - can you explain what you are suggesting we do with a probe like the meater?  Would the idea be that you set your bath to a certain temperature and then have the device turn off when the inside of the meat reaches temp?  

What we have in mind for the future development of the SmartHub is a liquid probe that could be used as a feedback mechanism in your own pots and pans.  It is something that we are working on, but we aren't quite far enough along to start selling that as part of this kickstarter campaign.

What we have in mind for the future development of the SmartHub is a liquid probe that could be used as a feedback mechanism in your own pots and pans.  It is something that we are working on, but we aren't quite far enough along to start selling that as part of this kickstarter campaign.

I was disappointed that this wasn't in one of the rewards tiers, I'm really looking forward to it. I was quite annoyed when the Meld Kickstarter was cancelled, and am hoping this will be an even better solution.

• Like 1

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

That's what I was envisioning using the Meater as. They've already done the hard part of the physical product development, if the two things can talk to each other, then there's no need to duplicate their effort.

PS: I am a guy.

This looks like an interesting and well-designed product. I see it having potential to complement an immersion circulator, rather than replace one.

I'm thinking of the ability to go beyond heating a s.v. water bath to doing foods like custards, which you might want to cook to precise temperature in an open pot. With this in mind, I'd be curious about the possibility of adding a magnetic stirring feature, like in a laboratory hotplate.

It's easy to imagine a conflict between magnetic stirring and magnetic induction; I don't know if the two are compatible. Maybe the induction coil could form a ring, with the stirring feature in the center?

I would find the magnetic stirring feature more compelling, even if it meant using a standard conductive hotplate surface.

Edited by paulraphael (log)

Notes from the underbelly

Boom !

http://socalbiomedical.com/equipment/hotplates-stirrers/scilogex-ms-h280-pro-circular-top-led-digital-hotplate-stirrers.html?gclid=CPLXmbWd98gCFYkXHwodEOIHtA

this not something I needed to look into

I million years ago, in various University Chemistry Dept's  basements , all sorts of stuff was for sale dirt cheep

used  ( lightly I might add ) glass ware, all sorts of chemicals, (  :blink: ) and many of these  'high grade'

they were dirt cheep as grants ran their course, studies ended etc

i had a large collection. I used to do a lot of chemistry.

unfortunately, most of this stuff never made move # X.  shame.

and I never saw the potential of the magnetic stirrer for later apllications

remember, as Chef August Gusteau states :

" Cooking is Chemistry you can Eat "

:laugh:

Edited by rotuts (log)

From the Kickstarter site:

The best searing pans are cast iron for induction cooktops, but be aware that you must continually move the pan around during cooking to avoid performance problems, and it is always good to let the cooking surface cool between searing different items. Aluminum induction-ready pans with a stainless-steel bottom work in all cases, when heavy-duty cooking scenarios are needed.

Does this mean that the induction unit uses a little 4" or so coil? My cheap 1500w Tatung unit has this issue where it only pushes the magnetic field in this small area. I can expect it from that, but for a potential $500 unit I would at least want something with a larger coil for more even heat distribution.

Also, what is the top made of to be able to withstand a cast iron pan continuously being moved around on top of it without looking like a CD in a kid's book bag from the 90's? Or are we supposed to spare the cook top at the expense of our wrists?

Edited by MisterKrazee (log)
  • Like 2

The best searing pans are cast iron for induction cooktops, but be aware that you must continually move the pan around during cooking to avoid performance problems, and it is always good to let the cooking surface cool between searing different items. Aluminum induction-ready pans with a stainless-steel bottom work in all cases, when heavy-duty cooking scenarios are needed.

Does this mean that the induction unit uses a little 4" or so coil? My cheap 1500w Tatung unit has this issue where it only pushes the magnetic field in this small area. I can expect it from that, but for a potential $500 unit I would at least want something with a larger coil for more even heat distribution.

Also, what is the top made of to be able to withstand a cast iron pan continuously being moved around on top of it without looking like a CD in a kid's book bag from the 90's? Or are we supposed to spare the cook top at the expense of our wrists?

Your latter comment is exactly what occurred to me when I read that about the cast iron pan having to be moved around constantly. It definitely would mess with an electric glasstop stove (which is a large part of why I so rarely use the one I inherited when I bought my last house) but I am wondering, with induction, if one could not put a piece of paper on the element and place the pan on that so you could slide it without actual contact with the glass? I agree though, the fact that one might have to do that at all, at that pricepoint, is troubling.

when cast iron get hot, it has thermal mass to stay hot.  so nice red-hot for searing.

for some reason, cast iron does not uniformly heat instantaneously well on induction surfaces

the heat from a very hot spot in the pan must conduct through the pan,s mass to the lesser heated spot etc

this energy transfer is relatively slow, i.e. pan to pan compared to the thermal transfer form the magnets to those hot spots.

so you have to move it around

some people use silicone paper under the pan to make this easier

Id say, get a pan for your induction surface that has a much better induction surface built into the pan that contacts the induction surface

its quite possible that ' cast iron '  , as we know it in Pots and Pans,  is not the same as as some more uniformly

created iron pan.    that uniform iron pan might be expensive to make.

Edited by rotuts (log)

That isn't on our Kickstarter page, is it?  That is not the case with our unit.  The coil is about 180mm in diameter and does a good job heating the entire pan.  Sandwich construction pans will generally distribute heat more evenly than cast iron.

EDIT:

That was in our FAQ's and is not accurate.  The marketing people got it from an old document and moving the pan was a strategy meant to address an overheating problem that has since been resolved.  I'll update that now.

Edited by Oliso_Inc (log)

That was in our FAQ's and is not accurate.  The marketing people got it from an old document which described moving the pan as a strategy meant to address an overheating problem in which heavy pans of certain geometries could radiate too much head down through the cooktop.  That issue has since been resolved, so that recommendation doesn't apply anymore.  I'll update that now.  

The cooktop surface is glass and it is quite easy to slide pans around on it when necessary.  As a 90's kid, I appreciate you CD case analogy and I know exactly what you are describing!

Super cool. I looked into those a while ago. A bit too pricey for me at the moment, but if you have a need in the kitchen they look ideal. I can see using a thin, dedicated pan with a little hole drilled in the lid.

Notes from the underbelly

the control, for either the water-bath or the griddle is the 10 different steps on the induction bottom

this is not a continuous control that then allows you to , say , set the griddle to a specific temp of your choice, but a temp 1 though 10 ?

So when cooking something in the water bath you only have 10 temperatures to choose from? That wouldn't make sense.

It could possibly have something built in to the Smart attachments that interact with a built in PID in the hub to be able to choose precise temperatures. From what I've read so far it seems that the 10 power levels is if you're using your own equipment that's not 'calibrated' to the hub.

From the video and pictures it appears to show actual temperatures with the water bath attached.

As far as the griddle it's not exactly clear.

I'm thinking of the ability to go beyond heating a s.v. water bath to doing foods like custards, which you might want to cook to precise temperature in an open pot.

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151093-kitchenaid-precise-heat-mixing-bowl-ksm1cbl/

Induction and precise heat.  Hard to get much better stirring.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

http://forums.egullet.org/topic/151093-kitchenaid-precise-heat-mixing-bowl-ksm1cbl/

Induction and precise heat.  Hard to get much better stirring.

My recollection from your tests is that while the temperature was steady, it was also way off from the indicated temperature, and took a long time to get there, particularly with the lid off. I wonder what time-to-temp is going to be with the Oliso unit.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

My recollection from your tests is that while the temperature was steady, it was also way off from the indicated temperature, and took a long time to get there, particularly with the lid off. I wonder what time-to-temp is going to be with the Oliso unit.

Indeed, with the lid off the Kitchenaid is precise but it is not accurate.  I had to work out what temperature setting to use for my intended cooking temperature.  Also, at least with my ice cream application, I bring the custard quickly up to temperature on the stove top before letting it cook at a constant temperature in the Kitchenaid for 60-90 minutes.

Accuracy of the Kitchenaid is pretty good with the lid on, say for use as a slow cooker, but it does take a while to come up to temperature.  And with the lid on its hard to get that mixing paddle or whisk in there.  One could devise a lid with a slot to get the better part of both worlds.  I'm surprised Kitchenaid has not thought of this.

• Like 1

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou

You can set the exact temperature in the liquid bath, but with your own pots and pans it is only level 0 through 10.   The issue with being able to assign a temperature range to a pan or griddle is that a single temperature reading won't describe the temperature everywhere on the pan.  If you put a room temp steak on the center of a 500F pan, the area under the steak will very quickly be far less than that and will often persist to be a much lower temperature than the surrounding area.  Our goal with the thermocouple in the Griddle Smart Top is to be able to quickly sense a temperature drop and pump heat in to compensate.  

Getting up to temperature in the liquid bath is extremely fast compared to circulators.  Two gallons of water from 59F to 149F takes our unit 23 minutes - the same takes 43 with an Anova circulator in a stock pot.