• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocdoc - off to meet the chocolatiers of Utah

Kerry Beal

Chocolot has invited me to her home in Utah - and has arranged for me to meet just about every chocolatier in Utah! They will run the gamut from mom and pop candy makers to bean to bar manufacturers.  

Our days are packed - and to add to the fun our evenings as well. A bunch of folks from the eG Chocolate and Confectionery workshops will be visiting too - so Chocolot's poor hubby might decide he wants to go out and sleep in the hanger!

It appears that there is no business class lounge in this terminal that I have access to - so arriving early at the airport was an unnecessary rush. I got home from my overnight shift at a little after 9 am - the pickup was waiting for me 10 minutes later, no traffic - so here I am cooling my heels. 

IMG_1450.jpg

Opted for a breakfast burrito from the closest vendor - "Nobel Burger Bar" - I've had worse. 

• Like 16

Please keep us all posted on your trip! Candymaking was one of the first books I used when I started playing around with candy making MANY years ago. If I don't make Amy's Toffee every year for Christmas my sister-in-law would stop talking to me. 

• Like 1

If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need. Cicero

But the library must contain cookbooks. Elaina

Oh goodie ... another amazing adventure to watch vicariously through the eyes and typing fingers of some of our most outstanding eGulleters! :)

Have a wonderful and safe trip, Kerry. Thanks for starting this thread - and thanks to Chocolot for organizing what sounds to be a great gathering of the chocolate clan.

I will be looking forward to hearing about everything.

Edited by Deryn (log)
  • Like 1

Hooray for you.  Off to meet Chocolot, whom I almost met several years ago, and to stay in her abode.  Lucky you.  And in Utah.  Home of my favourite place on earth, besides my own farm home, Moab of the red rocks, blue sky and constant sun. 

Do say hello for me  and have a good and safe travel and time in place. 

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

First leg of my flight was to Detroit. I enjoyed a couple of glasses of tomato juice and a bag of chips.

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1120.jpg

Second leg was from Detroit to Salt Lake City - 3 and a half hours - so there was time to feed us. 

IMG_1123.jpg

Decided to have a G&T with lime. 

IMG_1126.jpg

Asian beef salad - other choice was chicken enchilada. Interestingly on the side was a little pile of hummus - not particularly asian flavoured either. 

• Like 6

After my pickup at the airport we went to Shanghai Cafe (pretty sure that was the name) - one guy doing all the cooking - 

DSCN6041.jpg

Coconut shrimp - amazingly tender. 

DSCN6042.jpg

Scallion pancake.

DSCN6043.jpg

Pot stickers.

DSCN6045.jpg

Mapo dofu 

DSCN6047.jpg

Pork belly.

DSCN6048.jpg

Fat noodles. 

DSCN6051.jpg

Stir fried green beans with pork.

DSCN6052.jpg

The other dumplings the name of which escape me.

DSCN6053.jpg

Salt cooked pork chops - the name intrigued me - and they were excellent. 

• Like 10

Then we headed home - got a tour of Chocolot's chocolate room(s) - and sampled some experiments that Ruth, Willow, Gaylene and Romina had been playing with yesterday. 

IMG_1128.jpg

• Like 15

After my pickup at the airport we went to Shanghai Cafe (pretty sure that was the name) - one guy doing all the cooking - 

attachicon.gifDSCN6041.jpg

Coconut shrimp - amazingly tender. 

attachicon.gifDSCN6042.jpg

Scallion pancake.

attachicon.gifDSCN6043.jpg

Pot stickers.

attachicon.gifDSCN6045.jpg

Mapo dofu 

attachicon.gifDSCN6047.jpg

Pork belly.

attachicon.gifDSCN6048.jpg

Fat noodles. 

attachicon.gifDSCN6051.jpg

Stir fried green beans with pork.

attachicon.gifDSCN6052.jpg

The other dumplings the name of which escape me.

attachicon.gifDSCN6053.jpg

Salt cooked pork chops - the name intrigued me - and they were excellent. 

Name is Boba World, but it is Shanghai cuisine:)

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

If your first meal is any indication I am going to spend my time being extremely jealous of your whole trip! The scallion pancakes and the salt cooked pork chops are especially enticing.

Edited to fix a couple of typos.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

As I sit here eating a bowl of plain 'ole ramen noodles, I am green with envy.

What is up there on the plate with the grapes?  Pie?

Yeah - apple pieish sort of thing. Not too exciting.

• Like 1

IMG_1130.jpg

I'm counting on Chocolot to add some pictures of other things we did today - or you will think we are simply lushes. We visited two distilleries - both High West - the new facility very recently opened up at the Blue Sky Ranch and the original distillery in Park City. 

IMG_1133.jpg

IMG_1134.jpg

One of the distillers makes various pieces of furniture out of old barrels.

DSCN6055.jpg

DSCN6056.jpg

DSCN6057.jpg

I would have loved to check out this little room in more detail with one of the distillers - unfortunately being Sunday none were there.

DSCN6059.jpg

DSCN6062.jpg

DSCN6066.jpg

DSCN6068.jpg

After our tour we did some tasting - the little item that the whiskey is poured through allows to government to keep an eye on quantities dispensed to discourage any unreported sales. 

DSCN6073.jpg

DSCN6074.jpg

They provided us with this very nice charcuterie board - we made a bark with some of the spicy lavash after we enjoyed our repast.

• Like 10

So off to the other High West location in Park City. 

IMG_1160.jpg

They have a pot still with two columns and that can be used to get a spirit up to 190 proof. 

IMG_1138.jpg

They also have this little pilot sized still in the area where they mash that will handle about 25 litres of the approximately 7% ABV wort that they produce and with it's single column can get it up to about 65% ABV with a single run. 

IMG_1141.jpg

I spent a few minutes trying to stay out of the way on the line while the executive chef melted a little chocolate using the heat from the stove and the TurboChef induction microwave - 13 seconds in there had the chocolate pretty well melted.

IMG_1143.jpg

Exec chef pouring us out a bit of an up and coming product that was pretty fabulous - a double rye aged in syrah and port barrels. 

IMG_1144.jpg

Bark made with peated barley malt - very tasty with the above mentioned blend.

IMG_1152.jpg

Then it was time for dinner at High West - bread basket to start.

IMG_1153.jpg

A Little Italy for me - asked them to replace the rye with their American Prairie Bourbon. Then asked for ice because they brought it up in a highball glass.

IMG_1155.jpg

Saw them cooking schnitzel when I was in the kitchen - decided that would work just fine for me.

IMG_1156.jpg

IMG_1157.jpg

Gaylene and Willow shared a burger and salad. 

IMG_1159.jpg

S'more - also done in the TurboChef I was told - a few seconds to roast the marshmallow - 3 seconds to make the chocolate bar flop.

• Like 11

IMG_4215.jpg

The girls ready for the tasting at Blue Sky

IMG_4219.jpg

Kerry Showing the EZtemper to a group of pastry chefs in Park City.

IMG_4220.jpg

Some of the products they dipped.

• Like 6

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

IMG_1162.jpg

Breakfast in bed! Beer bread, Beehive Promontory Cheese and a nice milky tea. We are within a few miles of the Beehive Cheese factory. We will be fitting in a visit at some point. They make some of my very favourite cheeses and Ruth has the fridge full of them.

We will be on our way for another busy day very soon.

• Like 7

Kerry,

Was the beer bread purchased or homemade? Looks really good.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Anna, Beer bread purchased from grocery with organic bakery. 

We had another full day today. Kerry and Willow are trying to kill me off!!

IMG_4223.jpg

Started out the day at Thermoworks. Executives asked to see the EZtemper. Spent some quality time with them and picked out some good thermometers. They are in their fabulous new building.

IMG_4225.jpg

Showed EZ to chefs at Culinary Crafts. They were excited to see just how easy it is to temper chocolate.

Showed EZ to several bean-to-bar makers in the afternoon. Full day again tomorrow.

• Like 9

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

IMG_1165.jpg

Mary from Kitchen Crafts trying her hand at dipping. 

IMG_1167.jpg

In and Out Burger - cheeseburger animal style, fries and rootbeer float

IMG_1168.jpg

Sorting table at Coleman and Davis.

IMG_1169.jpg

Lab sized roaster

IMG_1170.jpg

Industrial sized roaster.

IMG_1172.jpg

Winnower

IMG_1173.jpg

Nib grinder

IMG_1174.jpg

Five roll refiner

IMG_1175.jpg

Conche

IMG_1176.jpg

Tempering machine still has bugs to be worked out - this is a vibrating belt.

IMG_1177.jpg

Chocolate we had tempered heading in to the cooling tunnel

IMG_1178.jpg

Fabulous old winnower at Amano Chocolate (Art Pollard)

IMG_1179.jpg

Roaster with the cooling table in front. 

IMG_1180.jpg

The ball inside Art's roaster

IMG_1181.jpg

Art's chandelier.

IMG_1183.jpg

Dinner was at Pei Wei (opened apparently by PF Chang's ex wife) - Ruth opted for some fresh rolls

IMG_1184.jpg

Dan dan noodles for me

IMG_1185.jpg

Willow's Sesame Chicken

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 11

Kerry, thank you for documenting your trip. Very cool to see the equipment and layout at the various factories and shops. Hope you are having a great time and selling a lot of EZ Temper units.

Are you planning to have an EZ Temper at the May 2016 chocolate workshop? It sure was nice to have around at the 2015 workshop.

Kerry, thank you for documenting your trip. Very cool to see the equipment and layout at the various factories and shops. Hope you are having a great time and selling a lot of EZ Temper units.

Are you planning to have an EZ Temper at the May 2016 chocolate workshop? It sure was nice to have around at the 2015 workshop.

Indeed - there will be one or more there. There should be a couple that permanently live in the facility where we will be holding the workshop. 

• Like 2

For breakfast this morning we all met up at Romina's patisserie  -  Les Madelines

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1188.jpg

A quick glance in the pastry cases. 

IMG_1190.jpg

Her star piece - Kouign aman. So I have had this pastry a number of times now and wondered what all the fuss was about - I had been told that Romina's was the best and I knew if I didn't like hers then it just wasn't a pastry I liked. Well - now I get it! It was crunchy, buttery, and sweet (but not too sweet) with caramelized sugar. 

Next problem - others will now fail to measure up!

IMG_1192.jpg

Ruth's breakfast sandwich.

IMG_1194.jpg

Willow's breakfast sandwich

IMG_1195.jpg

Cappuccino 

IMG_1196.jpg

My 'everything' croissant with chive and cream cheese with an egg.

IMG_1198.jpg

Gaylene's 

IMG_1199.jpg

Cassidy's

IMG_1200.jpg

Romina's. 

After our gig at Gygi's we went on the advice of the restaurant critic/blogger who had attended our demo - to Oh Mai - a vietnamese banh mi joint. 

IMG_1207.jpg

IMG_1202.jpg

Short rib banh mi for me.

IMG_1203.jpg

Bun for Ruth.

IMG_1205.jpg

Lemongrass tofu banh mi for Gaylene.

• Like 9