• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Best cognac and best cabernet for caramel?

pastryani

I don't drink alcohol, but I eat it in boozy sweet treats.  :)

I'd like to make two boozy caramels, one with cognac and one with cabernet.  What brands of cognac and cabernet would pair the best with the flavor profile of caramel??  Thanks!

Yes, use cheap. And when looking for "cognac", rather look for "brandy".

• Like 1

Cape Town - At the foot of a flat topped mountain with a tablecloth covering it.

Some time ago we had Johnny Cash, Bob Hope and Steve Jobs. Now we have no Cash, no Hope and no Jobs. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die.

pastryani, I'm not sure where in the world you are located or whether you need full bottles or can get away with the little airline-sized samplers but here's a brandy/cognac recommendation if you are in the US.  Paul Masson Brandy Grande Amber VSOP is an oak aged blend of California brandy and French cognac that I find nice.  It sells for $10.99/750 ml bottle in my area. It's tasty enough to use even in applications where it won't get cooked to death as in the caramel.   

Related question to booze in caramel: If you add liquor/wine/rum/etc AFTER the caramel is totally done cooking (to maintain the strong boozy flavor), and then you fill molded chocolates with this caramel, what does that do to the shelf life? (ie- is the shelf life reduced since there's more liquid/water inside?)