• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

DC's Best Burgers

BigWyoming

For a really nice comfortable place, try the Commissary near the corner of P St, NW and 14th- across from Wholefoods. I found the hamburg meat extremely succulent and tasty, and we have gone back just for the burger around 5 times. I frequently grind my own hamburg, and found this one extremely tasty. It makes no gourmet pretenses. The restaurant is a pleasant neighborhood place with a very nice contemporary menu.

Stu

I don't know if Spike is still selling them but the Obama Burger referred to in your original thread was being served at Spike's the Good Stuff Eatery on Capitol Hill.

Whether it's a Best in Town contender I can't say, but some have suggested that spikebrgers are in the running.

Also, one must remember Palena, which I find dry, but is worth eating because if you hate it you can fill up with some of the best cooking in town (bar/cafe only) and Miche Richard's Central which used to be the best before Hellburger was the best before Vidalia was the best.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 2 weeks later...

It should be noted that, while Good Stuff Serves an Obama Burger, Michael Landrum serves burgers to Obama at Ray's Hell Burger.

The crowd at Ray's was reportedly (and understandably) flipping out over the surprise executive branch visit. The official White House pool report from the event offers some fun details, including that Obama treated a few reporters to burgers (they're making donations to charity to balance it out, they claim). More from the pool report:

"While Obama and Biden waited in line, the lunch crowd stood and gawked, some took pix with cell phones. The two guys in line ahead of them studied their menus, oblivious to who was behind them.

When Obama and Biden reached the front, Obama greeted the two order-takers. The guy who took Obama's order and money was Tim Murray. There's still some debate among press on exactly what Obama ordered, since it was hard to hear. He definitely had a burger. I heard him say "basic cheeseburger, medium well." But someone else heard him say "Swiss mushroom burger." He definitely asked Mr. Murray for "spicy mustard, if you have it." There may have also been talk of tater tots."

Nice eating this week: Michelle Richard Citronelle and Ray's Hell. I think the Prez needs to start posting.

Edited by Busboy (log)

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

• 2 years later...

This may be the obvious choice but

RAY'S!

Best burger anywhere. Sloppy as all hell, but so worth it. I'll typically avoid significant quantities of red meat for a week or two before going (10 oz is a lot of meat for me).