• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Frying Twizzlers

GlorifiedRice

Hi,

I had a concept idea in my head for a few months. I know if you drop dry or fresh pasta in hot oil it puffs up and gets crispy

so knowing Twizzlers/RedVines are basically sugared pasta, I thought lets try dropping them in hot oil and see them puff up!

Here are the results (for your future reference)

Le30ce4.gif

Top: Fried in Medium Oil...Initially it turned white but then just turned floppy and sticky and never puffed or got hard

Left Top: Uncooked Control

Bottom Left: Fried in hot oil turned black pretty fast and house filled with stinky oil smell

Bottom Right: Dipped in flour water mixture then fried in hot oil, crispy outside soft gooey inside...

This concludes the experiment

• Like 5

Wawa Sizzli FTW!

You are giving up too easily!!  It took me four years to perfect my kladdkaka recipe. There must be away to make this happen!

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

The experiment was bold and innovative.  Good for you. 

ps.  I hate Twizzlers also.  Loved them as a kid...but maybe they tasted different back in the 40s.  OTOH, DH still loves them.  He bought a package in Moab and ate them at his leisure over a 2-month period. 

• Like 1

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

indeed  bold and innovative

congrats

what about just taking reg. twisty pasta, as its thicker  and doing a very brief fry and then

making some sort of pasta from that ?

I say this because a billion years ago there was a big, of the bazillion I collect and watch from the C.I.A

upstate NY, not those Others

where the chef sauté 'd a formed pasta to get some browning then made a pasta dish

I can't tell you much more

I did contact various Italian Pasta makers for help

they never heard of a sauté of a pasta before finally cooking

wish I could see that CIA ( upstate NY ) chef do this again.

• Like 1

If you don't mind, I'm going to steal the idea for deep-fried battered Red Vines, get myself a trailer, and set up shop at the State Fair.

I think I'll have my vintage Maserati in white, please.

Edited by jrshaul (log)

I told a friend this, his comment was I must try, fast forward a day and   I got back: After losing our  eye brows, we  decided to make churroz  with   the same flavouring as   red twizzlers and we had some form of weird success, it taste right but  the soft texture played tricks on the mind and our jaws hurts.

He said he need more time and if he ever get it right, he will post a picture here.

Edited by CatPoet (log)

Cheese is you friend, Cheese will take care of you, Cheese will never betray you, But blue mold will kill me.

Wow. Twizzlers are one of nature's most perfect foods. How can they be improved upon? They are particularly excellent in two scenarios: road trips and movie theaters. Straight out of the plastic, no deep-frying needed. (But it was fun to read about.)

How can they be improved upon?

By putting the lid to the trash can over them after depositing them in said trash can. :raz: 

• Like 1

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.