• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Report: eG Chocolate and Confectionery Workshop 2015

Kerry Beal

Well the gang is all here in the Washington, DC area (actually in Fairfax-Merrifield, VA) ready to get started tomorrow.

Today a limited number of us got together in RobertM's basement chocolate room with Mark Heim (retired Research Fellow from Hershey) to talk about and make nougat and caramel.

IMG_1062.jpg

IMG_1066.jpg

IMG_1068.jpg

On the way to dinner in Occoquan we stopped by Potomac Chocolate's basement bean to bar chocolate production facility. Quite fascinating just how much equipment you can get in a few square feet if you plan carefully.  I believe he said he was making 65 lbs of chocolate per week.

IMG_1069.jpg

IMG_1070.jpg

IMG_1071.jpg

Convection oven repurposed as a roaster - drill from Home Depot being used to turn the cage.

IMG_1072.jpg

Cooler for roasted beans - note the fan.

IMG_1073.jpg

Winnower fashioned from a Champion Juicer.

IMG_1075.jpg

IMG_1076.jpg

Melanger.

IMG_1078.jpg

Newly manufactured conche.  

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 7

Mark was very generous with his time and knowledge, it seemed we spent the first hour (plus) just asking questions which lead into discussions which lead into more questions.

image.jpg

• Like 1

But, soon we were making a nougat and a caramel. That Hobart has been used by my family for more than 35 years....I recently had some repair work done on it, I was praying that it would work. Which it did!

A little small for the batch though....

image.jpg

• Like 3

Soon we were fighting typical DC Friday night traffic to Occoquan, VA for our Meet and Greet/dinner. This year, Ashley wanted to host it at The Bottle Stop where she is the chef.

image.jpg

What an amazing, amazing day with Mark and Santosh

Mark showed us a most delicious Croquant and a Laminated piece while Samtosh showed a delicious savory piece and another with Mango

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3

Kerry,

Were you telling that same damn fish story again? Is it sure looks like it.

• Like 8

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

IMG_3753.jpg

Sharing a room with Kerry is always fun, especially last night. We decided to do a little shopping at a market near the hotel. As we were wheeling the cart outside, Kerry suggested that since we had so much stuff that it might be a good idea to take the cart to the hotel. Then as we get to the hotel, she thinks it would be a good idea to take the cart to our room so that we would have a way to haul all our stuff to the car the next morning. We sort of looked like bag ladies as we walked through the lobby to the elevator. We dropped off chocolates and panned goods to the front desk on our way out this morning.

• Like 5

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
Artisan Chocolates and Toffees
www.chocolot.com

DSCN5464.jpg

DSCN5466.jpg

DSCN5468.jpg

DSCN5477.jpg

DSCN5481.jpg

DSCN5486.jpg

DSCN5488.jpg

DSCN5490.jpg

DSCN5500.jpg

DSCN5504.jpg

DSCN5513.jpg

DSCN5537.jpg

Some pictures about the making of the laminated candy.

DSCN5540.jpg

Our dinner at the school - beans on toast.

DSCN5541.jpg

Salad.

DSCN5542.jpg

Smoked cornish game hen with red Bhutanese rice.

DSCN5545.jpg

Galette with grand marnier soaked chantilly cream.

• Like 6

Yup - just an electric griddle and an electric catering warmer.  It did maintain a reasonably constant temperature - but the adjustment is fussy. I suspect they have warm and cold spots like any warmer though.

• Like 1

Bob - you swinger you!

IMG_1091.jpg

Breakfast at the hotel this morning - I suspect tomorrow morning's breakfast might be similar.

IMG_1093.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1099.jpg

Experiments in pre-crystallizing ganache - the mango ganache on the left was pre-crystallized using seed from the EZtemper - it was able to be cut and dipped by just after lunch.  The other ganache had to be taken home by one of the participants as it had not firmed up by the time we were ready to leave.

IMG_1095.jpg

Meltaway flavoured with ginger - also pre-crystallized - after a brief repose in the fridge it was cut on the guitar and rolled in powdered sugar

IMG_1096.jpg

Peanut butter gianduja.

IMG_1100.jpg

IMG_1101.jpg

IMG_1102.jpg

IMG_1103.jpg

A few of the items produced.

• Like 6

IMG_3778.jpg

The last stragglers.

IMG_3780.jpg

Some of our finished goods.

IMG_3792.jpg

One of the most impressive things I saw all weekend. Kerry's EZtemper. I saw it and still don't believe it! You have untempered chocolate at about working temperature, put a small amount (less than a teaspoon) of EZtemper silk cocoa butter. Stir  a few times, and let it stand for a minute. You then have TEMPERED CHOCOLATE!!  I kept seeing it happen, and I still don't believe it. I can't let Kerry have all the toys, so I am going home with my own EZ.

Edited by Chocolot (log)
  • Like 8

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

For dinner tonight we went back to Four Sister's Vietnamese restaurant.

IMG_1106.jpg

One of the sisters is a florist and provides the lovely flowers for the restaurant - peonies appear to be in season right now.

DSCN5546.jpg

There were 9 of us - we ordered the dinner for 10.  This was the table before the food started coming!

DSCN5547.jpg

Squid

DSCN5548.jpg

Papaya salad

DSCN5549.jpg

Tamarind soup

DSCN5552.jpg

Pork rolls

DSCN5553.jpg

Shaky beef

DSCN5554.jpg

Chinese Broccoli 

DSCN5555.jpg

Pepper chicken

DSCN5556.jpg

Caramelized fish

DSCN5557.jpg

Shrimps with ginger and lemon grass

DSCN5558.jpg

Rice of course

DSCN5559.jpg

Dessert

• Like 7

IMG_3766.jpgIMG_3767.jpgIMG_3768.jpg

Mark showed us how to table the chocolate by pouring 1/3 onto marble or granite and working it hard. The more you scrape it, the better it is. He kept going until he had a paste of chocolate that he could pick up with the scrapers. He plopped it back into the 2/3 remaining chocolate and stirred it in. If he guessed right, it was in temper. A bit messy, and takes some practice, but it is his preferred method.

• Like 4

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com

Looks like a lot of fun and sounds like a good learning experience. I'm enjoying the vicarious experience.

Experiments in pre-crystallizing ganache - the mango ganache on the left was pre-crystallized using seed from the EZtemper - it was able to be cut and dipped by just after lunch.  The other ganache had to be taken home by one of the participants as it had not firmed up by the time we were ready to leave.

One of the most impressive things I saw all weekend. Kerry's EZtemper. I saw it and still don't believe it! You have untempered chocolate at about working temperature, put a small amount (less than a teaspoon) of EZtemper silk cocoa butter. Stir  a few times, and let it stand for a minute. You then have TEMPERED CHOCOLATE!!  I kept seeing it happen, and I still don't believe it.

That's insane. I think that thing has to go on my wish list. I can't see investing in the small tempering machine I was eyeballing when this is available for not terribly more money. If I'm understanding correctly, it will serve the purpose of a tempering machine without a batch size limitation?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That's right, Tricook. I have several temperers, and I can see a lot of uses for this. I would recommend this over a small temperer. You can temper a LOT of chocolate in a short amount of time. Just to speed up ganaches will be a great time saver. When I get home, I can really put it to the test as I have a busy week ahead of me. I'll report back.

• Like 1

Ruth Kendrick

Chocolot
www.chocolot.com