• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Storing chili/chile verde

Shel_B

At the end of this month there will be two dinners that I'll be preparing.  One is a potluck and the other, five days later, is dinner at home with a couple of friends.  I was thinking of making a double/triple batch of my chile verde, and am wondering the best way to store the stew for the five-six days necessary.

I know stews often are better after a day or so, but what about after five or six days?  If I freeze the second batch, how might that effect the texture of the meat. I've never stored my chile verde for more than a day.

I am hoping that I can just store the second batch in the fridge in a covered bowl for five days or so.  That would make my life very much easier.

Thoughts?

... Shel

I freeze my chili verde all the time.  It doesn't compromise anything IMO.  

Maybe if it were just my husband and I, I would reheat something that's been in the fridge for 6 days, but.....not for guests....but that's just me.

Edited by Shelby (log)
  • Like 2

I freeze my chili verde all the time.  It doesn't compromise anything IMO.  

Maybe if it were just my husband and I, I would reheat something that's been in the fridge for 6 days, but.....not for guests....but that's just me.

Hi, Shelby - if you'd eat it why not serve it to your guests?

... Shel

How you handle it depends on what you put in it, IMO. I like to put vegetables, like potato cubes, in mine and they, potatoes especially, don't freeze well. I'd start by making a base chile with your meat, the chiles and stock, then split that in half, freeze half and add vegetables to the batch being served first. Then, I'd thaw the second half on the day of the second event, and add the veggies as it's heating up. -In order, carrots take longer to cook than say, corn kernels which only need to be warmed through.

• Like 2

How you handle it depends on what you put in it, IMO. I like to put vegetables, like potato cubes, in mine and they, potatoes especially, don't freeze well. I'd start by making a base chile with your meat, the chiles and stock, then split that in half, freeze half and add vegetables to the batch being served first. Then, I'd thaw the second half on the day of the second event, and add the veggies as it's heating up. -In order, carrots take longer to cook than say, corn kernels which only need to be warmed through.

You've provided some "food for thought."  There are no vegetables other than peppers and tomatillos in my chile verde,

... Shel

Well, that should freeze just fine.

That said, try tossing a cup of frozen corn kernels in (or in the summer, fresh corn straight off the cob), a little brunoise carrot for color, and maybe some finely diced celery to amp up the 'green' flavor. And, of course, diced waxy potatoes like reds are very good too.

• Like 2

I make and freeze the sauce and meat separately - my tomatillo green sauce freezes beautifully - I usually combine it with cooked chicken or pork and "finish"  after thawing by simmering over low heat for an hour or so to combine and develop the flavor. 

People love it, I'm often asked for my recipe (including at an eGullet potluck years ago) which is one of the reasons I put it on my blog.

I make the sauce in big batches and freeze in portions appropriate for serving or adding to dishes.

• Like 1

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Although it probably doesn't affect the "freezing" issue, think we might be talking about two different kinds of Green Chile Stew - with and without tomatillos.

I grew up with New Mexico-style, which, in my experience anyway, typically is made with green chiles - lots and lots of green chiles (and potatoes too BTW) - but no tomatillos.

Although, as I say, regarding freezing, the issues are probably the same.

Edited by Jaymes (log)
  • Like 2

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Although it probably doesn't affect the "freezing" issue, think we might be talking about two different kinds of Green Chile Stew - with and without tomatillos.

I grew up with New Mexico-style, which, in my experience anyway, typically is made with green chiles - lots and lots of green chiles (and potatoes too BTW) - but no tomatillos.

Although, as I say, regarding freezing, the issues are probably the same.

Somehow feel the need to clarify...

Although I lived for years in New Mexico, I've also lived in southern Arizona, and traveled extensively throughout Mexico.  Chile Verde, the version without tomatillos, is not found just in New Mexico, which I fear I kind of implied.  I've also encountered it in most of the US Southwest, as well as throughout northern Mexico, in the states of Sonora, Chihuahua, Coahuila, etc.  In many ways, the cuisine of this arid part of Mexico differs greatly from what we think of as the "typical" Mexican foods that are more common  farther south.

• Like 1

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.