• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Yeast as a Flavoring Agent

Shel_B

I often read in recipes and articles of a "yeasty flavor" in breads and baked goods.  Can yeast impart flavor to other types of dishes, say, for example (and these are only examples and quick thoughts), when added to soup, meat, salads, omelets, and so on?  How might one do that?

... Shel

Of course it can!!!!

Spike is a seasoning which contains nutritional yeast as a flavoring.

And don't forget Vegemite and the like.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

That's not the yeast I'm asking about.  I'm asking about the yeast used in baking bread.  Heck, I didn't even know there was another type of yeast.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

All are the same species but different strains.

I guess you could buy some cake yeast, kill it, and incorporate it into other foods to see how you like it.  :smile:

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

All are the same species but different strains.

I guess you could buy some cake yeast, kill it, and incorporate it into other foods to see how you like it.  :smile:

They may be the same species, but the different yeasts behave differently, yes?  And they may offer different flavor profiles, yes?

I don't know how to kill it, and haven't any idea on how to incorporate the dead yeast into what I'm cooking, and I don't have a clue if dead yeast (of the type I'm describing) will add any flavor to various dishes compared to live yeast.

In other words, I'm ignorant about this whole topic as it involves yeast, I don't know if my idea is ridiculous or if people have used it before, or if one strain of yeast is better for the purpose than another (heck, I didn't even know there are different strains of yeast).  Because I am ignorant about the subject, your suggestions are meaningless to me without additional information.

... Shel

They may be the same species, but the different yeasts behave differently, yes?  And they may offer different flavor profiles, yes?

Yes, of course...that's why active yeast is used in baking and nutritional yeast is used to flavor other foods.  :smile:

That white film on the skin of things like plums, grapes and cabbage is wild yeast.  When it is fed, grown, and kept alive in a batter of flour and water, it is sour dough yeast.  Cultured yeast are strains that are developed to promote certain characteristics like rapid rising in breads or to promote the best fermentation results in beer or wine. Cultured yeast will quickly revert back to its wild state if  fed and grown in sour dough like conditions. Heat kills yeast, cold inhibits it. 

Edited by Norm Matthews (log)
  • Like 1

There are a number of chefs who work yeast in as a flavor. Mainly I see it going into dairy products where the flavor is best suited. I've seen ice cream/gelato, creme fraiche, yogurt spheres, etc.  Think of a recipe where it will have a minimal or nil effect on the food - ie, don't put it in dough or anything that will really activate it. 

The one time I did it was a dish where I infused, then gelatin filtered for a clear broth...essentially creating liquid bread for a cocktail.

So yes, you are on a track that has been gone down before, and very successfully. Typically regular dry active is what's used...different flavor than a self-started starter.

• Like 1

I may be in the minority but I think the taste of yeast in bread or other food is a defect.  And yes, I have my poolish bubbling at the moment.

Cooking is cool.  And kitchen gear is even cooler.  -- Chad Ward

Whatever you crave, there's a dumpling for you. -- Hsiao-Ching Chou