• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Palate smart grill - a non-sous vide precision cooker

fledflew

Hi,

I'll try to keep this factual, as there are various opinions and doubts which you are entitled to.

Re: The steak on our website (Post 22)

That steak was cooked completely on the Palate Smart Grill prototype, and nothing else. I trimmed and cut the NY Strip myself, we cooked it low temp to medium rare, removed it while we heated the plates to sear, then seared. To get the sides we just put them on the grill surface with tongs, that is optional as it would be with any high heat cooking method.

To get the thin band, we do remove the steak during heat up from the "sous vide" temp to the searing temp; estimate that will take about 2 minutes followed by a 1 minute sear, so it's 3 minutes right before eating and followed by no resting period which helps with timing. This is explained in the TechCrunch video. In the future we'll be shortening that time frame. At this point it's faster and easier than alternatives such as a cast iron skillet; because of the precise temperature control you just click "sear" and it gets there and waits for you; minimal overshoot means less black smoke or caking on to the cooking surface of grease.

Re: Why not a steam oven (Post 24)

Steam ovens are great! But we actually built one to test for our use case and found limitations: 1) can't go above 212F which means you need another cooking device for high temperature cooking 2) cooking time is limited by the water reservoir or you need a professional install to run a dedicated water line. Since we are enclosing the cooking area, we can get similar effects.

Re: what can it cook (Post 19) -- It looks like to me the Palate Smart Grill can only cook mostly flat meat such as steaks. Is that true? Can it sear the sides of a thick steak? Can it cook a chicken? Can it cook a whole rack of lamb? 

The more surface contact the better, less means that it takes more time. An example of something amazing that you might not think of was duck breast, we got it crispy and orange-browned like Peking duck on the first try. Things that are excellent are: Steak- Premium Cuts, Chicken Breast, Salmon Fillet, Halibut/Whitefish, Burger, Pork Loin Cuts, Lamb Loin Cut, Duck Breast, Hash Brown/Country Style Potatoes, Spinach/Sautéed Greens, Asparagus, Eggplant, Peppers, Onions, Mushrooms (Portobello/Sautéed Mushrooms), Squash, Tofu steak.

We have a possible method for cooking things like eggs that we are testing right now...more on that later...

• Like 3

I send Kudos your way, 

ericnorman

very few people, Including The Swells are going to do the Tong/sear the sides.  their loss and not your concern

I dont even do it any more.

but that Steak, done as you mention, would be worth a Vid on your site w a time gap for the actual SVish part but with the true sear shown.

wish you best of luck and Good Fortune !

BTW  is BB&B going to carry these ?

:huh:

:laugh:

• Like 1

Eric,

Few people love new kitchen toys as much as I do. I seem to have owned most of them or had access to those that I did not own. I want to covet your grill but try as I might I cannot find a place for it in my kitchen or in my life. It seems so limited and limiting. I am still hoping there was something you can say to change my mind. Santa will soon be asking for lists.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

AnnaN :  

consider adding to those lists some Vouchers for Prime Boneless Rib Eye.  > 2 " thick.

Yum Yum  .....

wait .......... you left the CuisiSB to Freeze in the Great White North ?

( FD  'White here refers to Snow'  )

etc

Edited by rotuts (log)

• 10 months later...