• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Droo

Haute patisserie cookbook recommendation

10 posts in this topic

I'm wanting a good haute patisserie cookbook that's more than just a recipe book but would be more of a "textbook" for those of us who patisserie is a hobby, but aims to recreate professional level type patisseries etc. I am more interested in the more gateaux type desserts rather than chocolates.

Can anyone suggest any books?

Edited by Droo (log)

I like Bo Friberg's books: The Professional Pastry Chef, and, The Advanced Professional Pastry Chef. You could teach yourself from these books, if you apply yourself diligently. (and buy some equipment)

The Cordon Bleu's text: Professional Baking also covers fundamentals well.

IMO, the CIA's text, Baking and Pastry, isn't good as a standalone text because it ignores the basics. For example, it is missing recipes for: basic white sandwich bread, plain croissants, biscuits, several basic types of cakes, and several plain custards and sauces. I had to teach from it for a few semesters, and had to give out a lot of supplemental handouts for basic items.

3 people like this

Alain Ducasse's Grand Livre de Cuisine: Desserts and Pastries.

Francisco Migoya's Elements of Dessert

Bouchon Bakery cookbook

1 person likes this

My 2 cents.  I started here on eG however many years ago and was encouraged to get Herme's Desserts and Chocolate Desserts (or something like) and baked my way through both.  I've tried buying the various text books but found them too dry to work with.  So over the years, whenever there was a chef that excited me I worked my way through their book...and I turned out okay, right?

So some of my favorites for lasting usefulness:

Those old Dorie Greenspan Pierre Hermé books are classics for me

Migoya is an amazing teacher - all of his books

Yes, Bouchon but I find that I don't go back to them too often anymore

Reinhardt is still great

Subscribe to So Good - jam packed journal/magazine of haute...if you want haute v. fundamentals

I'd also add Pierre Herme Pastries, it's a good overview of his style, some simpler pastries, some elaborate gateaux.

I can't find it--but there was a good thread on this a few months ago. To repeat, I always liked Lenotre (Hermes too) and Roux Brothers. I don't think of the Bouchon Book, which is very pretty, as in the class you are looking for. Agree with Lisa on Friberg--and also the shortcomings of CIA.

Thanks for the recommendations. The two Friberg books are on my to buy list as well as Elements of Desserts. I suspect I'll use the latter more than the former. My only concern about Migoya's book - is to purely focused on plated desserts? I normally make entremets and layered petit gateaux, I don't tend to do plated desserts as I need to take what I make into work as so I don't end up with clogged arteries and the size of a house.

Are the Hermes books (apart from the Dorie ones) in English? I wish pH10 was in English, that book looked awesome.

I was recommended So Good as well but what I have seen of it, there isn't the explanation (the why) I'm seeking. As gfron1 suggests, I think I am after a cross between a textbook (which should provide the why) and a cookbook (providing the up to date recipes and techniques). I don't want something that's dry. My local patisserie supply store recommended So Good Recipes and Ramon Morato's Chocolate. He preferred Morato's book over someone like Paco Torreblanca's tome as the former explained a lot - alas both are incredibly pricey. 

He also suggested that the next step in my learning is to understand ingredients and how they work. This is so when something does go wrong I understand what has happened and why and what to do/not to do next time. Is this something I'll be able to get from So Good or other sources?

That's it, what I want is a contemporary haute patisserie cookbook crossed with the book "how baking works". It doesn't exist does it?

For example, I recently learned that when adding butter to a ganache, the ganache should be under (off memory) 34 degrees c, i presume to ensure the butterfat doesn't melt. It's little tips like that i love and want more of. I'll have to get my hands on how baking works in the mean time.

You might find this useful, Felder's approach in the book is of a course rather than a series of disjointed recipes.

Patisserie: Mastering the Fundamentals of French Pastry by Christophe Felder

Available on Amazon it is one of the books you can 'preview' before committing to purchase.

• Similar Content

• By Kasia
      Ingredients (for 4 people):
      3 long sticks of rhubarb
      250g of strawberries
      4 tablespoons of xylitol
      4 tablespoons of butter
      150g of desiccated coconut

Heat the oven up to 180C.
      Wash the rhubarb, peel it and cut it into 1 cm pieces. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of xylitol, mix it in and leave for half an hour. Wash the strawberries, remove the shanks and cut them into small pieces. Drain the rhubarb from the juice and mix it in with the strawberries.
      Melt the butter. Mix the desiccated coconut with the rest of the xylitol and butter. Smooth some small casserole dishes with a bit of butter. Put the rhubarb and strawberries into them. Sprinkle with the desiccated coconut crumble topping. Bake for 15-17 minutes. Serve with strawberry or vanilla ice cream.

• By Kasia
      Strawberry dessert with chia seeds

Ingredients (for 4 people)
      300g of strawberries
      300ml of milk (it may be coconut milk or whatever you prefer)
      honey or maple syrup
      4 tablespoons of chia seeds
      fruit and peppermint leaves for decoration

Clean the strawberries and remove the shanks. Add the milk and one tablespoon of honey or maple syrup. Blend it thoroughly. Try it and if necessary add a bit more honey. Add the chia seeds, mix them in and leave in the fridge for 4-5 hours. Stir once again. Put the dessert into a small bowl and decorate with the fruit and peppermint leaves.

The inspiration for this dessert comes from "Smaki życia" ("Flavour of Life") by Agnieszka Maciąg

• By ChristysConfections
      Hi everyone!

I hope I'm not posting in the wrong section. I am looking for recommendations on where to find a used/economically priced climate controlled (low humidity and refrigerated, but not too cold) chocolate display case as well as a regular refrigerated display case (bakery style). Something like this, but it doesn't need to be too fancy looking. I am living in Canada on the West Coast, so the closer to local, the better. I'm finding it very challenging to find something. I found and excellent deal on a couple of used ones in the USA, but the seller doesn't want to deal with the hassle of having it crated and shipped. I'm trying to keep up to date searching on the Ecole Chocolat graduate forum as well as The Chocolate Life classifieds. 

Also, does anyone know if a smaller table-top type climates controlled chocolate display case exists? Or are the only options out there for larger models?

Warm Regards,
      Christy
    • By Lam
      So I've been looking for the ultimate matcha brownies (technically blondies but it just doesn't have the same ring to it). I've made chewy and fudgy regular brownies, but I find white chocolate based blondies to be much trickier. I have made a few matcha brownie recipes in the past, but they all came out sad and cakey. So I have taken it upon myself to come up with my own recipe. My matcha brownies came out very moist and "fudgy" but not chewy. I'm thinking next time I should try using vegetable oil instead of butter and only dark brown sugar. 

• By ltjazz
      Hey all,

I've made thicker and creamier sorbets with 25% to 35% sugar strained fruit purees and sugar, syrups, and other stabilizers that have worked well. However, because it's so much fruit and little to no water it can be an expensive project.

I am trying to make "Water Ice" or "Italian Ice" in my home ice cream machine. Think of textures similar to Rita's Water Ice, Court Pastry Shop, or Miko's in Chicago. It eats much lighter than a sorbet but isn't really icy, but it's also not thick like sorbet. Ritas uses "flavoring" and sugar, while the other two use fruit juice. I'm thinking of thinning the strained fruit juice with water and adding a stabilizer, but I'm having trouble getting this in my home ice cream machine without it freezing solid like granita.

Can anyone suggest a way to use real fruit juice, water, and a combination and concentration of stabilizers to get a looser, frozen fruit dessert that isn't icy?