• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Flatev Tortilla and Flatbread Machine

Tri2Cook

Not sure if this has already been posted but I couldn't find it via the search: http://flatev.com/

Anyway, it's along the lines of (and apparently about the size of) the pod coffee machines only the pod contains dough (initially to be available in flour, corn and blue corn tortillas with plans for additional flatbreads in the future). The machine cracks open the pod, presses the dough, cooks it and deposits it in a warming tray at the bottom of the machine at the claimed rate of 1 tortilla per minute. Doesn't sound too bad as a kitchen gadget until you read on and discover that the proprietary pods are expected to retail at $1/each. So basically $1+ tax per tortilla. They're claiming a 2 week refrigerated shelf life for the pods (which will only be available in grocery stores because they require refrigeration and don't contain preservatives) but it says they can be frozen. Not something I'm going to be buying... although it might be more tempting if it allowed using your own dough instead of, or in addition to, the pods

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I won't be an investor[emoji410] Doomed to fail and takes up a lot of counter real estate

Yeah, I just can't work out any value for it. At an initial $300 investment and $1+/tortilla operating cost, I just don't think it's going to do much. People who make their own will continue to make their own, people who buy premade will continue to do that. It's a somewhat clever idea without a real need to fill.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

That is a fun video, but I can't see the price or operating cost or counter space either. I agree that it would seem better if you could use your own dough. The pods generate a lot of waste. There might be a niche for it in hotel breakfast areas, next to the waffle makers, if the operating cost came way down.

Rotuts, I'm surprised at you. Red wine, like chocolate, goes with just about everything... :-D

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

nah   R.W. does not go w Tex/Mex.  Sur la Plate.

it might go well  Pre-plate

but ice coid beer will do better.  Sur la Plate

plenty of time later for the RW and Cheease   not with tortillas  thou .......

Wow that's a lot of dough for a little dough, but diffidently cool. I will stick to my $15. press. Have you ever seen the little Latino lady's that make tortillas by hand so fast it looks like a blur and makes you dizzy when you watch? I do not know how many they can make an hour but it looks like about two or three hundred an hour.

IMG_3317.JPG

Here in Phoenix, I can buy pre-formed, raw flour tortillas that can be quickly cooked in a pan and are pretty good. I don't think many people would buy a machine to make tortillas, they are too expensive and not worth the real estate on the countertop.

enjoyed the vid.

I would have done the video differently.  When they showed the poor guy in the kitchen "missing out on all the fun," I would've panned back to the dining room showing his 3 friends having sex on the table.

But that's just me...and it just happens to be what I was thinking.

The tortillas look poorly cooked from the machine, thick, not puffy and no better than that doofus could've made.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?