• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How much gelatin in stock?

paulraphael

This is way too broad a question so let me narrow it down.

I want to experiment with thickeners, and don't want to waste good stock. So I'm going to use store-bought stock. Brands like Pacific aren't too bad, but seem completely devoid of gelatin. I'd like to add gelatin to simulate the natural viscosity of a stock simmered with meat and bones.

Any thoughts on the range of concentrations of gelatin you might encounter with a typical stock? I'm thinking one made for flavor and not primarily for super high concentrations of gelatin.

Notes from the underbelly

Try 1%-2% powdered gelatin.

Edited by DiggingDogFarm (log)

~Martin :)

I just don't want to look back and think "I could have eaten that."

Unsupervised, rebellious, radical agrarian experimenter, minimalist penny-pincher, and adventurous cook. Crotchety, cantankerous, terse curmudgeon, non-conformist, and contrarian who questions everything!

The best thing about a vegetable garden is all the meat you can hunt and trap out of it!

This is way too broad a question so let me narrow it down.

I want to experiment with thickeners, and don't want to waste good stock. So I'm going to use store-bought stock. Brands like Pacific aren't too bad, but seem completely devoid of gelatin. I'd like to add gelatin to simulate the natural viscosity of a stock simmered with meat and bones.

Any thoughts on the range of concentrations of gelatin you might encounter with a typical stock? I'm thinking one made for flavor and not primarily for super high concentrations of gelatin.

Paul, I find Pacific to be an awful boxed stock.  Coincidentally, I was watching a CI video about tasting various stocks, and Pacific came in dead last.  While I recognize that we all have different palates, you might want to try tasting a few different brands, if you've not already done so.  Maybe you have, and found that Pacific is just fine for you. 

FWIW, when looking for a boxed stock, I tested perhaps a half dozen, looking not only for taste but at the ingredient list as well, and settled on Costco's organic chicken stock.  Also, in various taste tests, Swanson's  cooking stock fared well.

That said, when making a soup with a full quart of stock, I'll sometimes use one packet of gelatin, and that gives a satisfactory mouth feel and texture.

And while this only tangentially addresses your question, when making locro and similar soups/stews, I'll add a pig's foot for the gelatin.  The local Mexican market has 'em for cheap.

Edited by Shel_B (log)

... Shel

Thanks Martin, I'll try that.

Shel, I'm using the boxed stock for texture experiments. The flavor is beside the point here. I want to add pure gelatin because it's cheap and easy; I'm just trying to approximate the gelatin level of homemade stock so I have a useful starting point.

Shel, I'm using the boxed stock for texture experiments. The flavor is beside the point here. I want to add pure gelatin because it's cheap and easy; I'm just trying to approximate the gelatin level of homemade stock so I have a useful starting point.

Ahh! ... I get it.

... Shel

While flavour and texture could potentially be artificially separated, taste is really an interaction of the two. I love stocks that are really solid when cold as they have a more unctuous mouth feel when heated. I'd go higher and work backwards.

Edited by nickrey (log)

Nick Reynolds, aka "nickrey"

"The Internet is full of false information." Plato
My eG Foodblog

FWW, isn't your home-made stock less expensive than boxed stock?  Seems to me it would be less expensive to waste good stock with a bonus that you might end up with something nice.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

FWW, isn't your home-made stock less expensive than boxed stock?  Seems to me it would be less expensive to waste good stock with a bonus that you might end up with something nice.

No way! Just by ingredients alone the stocks I make cost more than the boxed stock. If I consider the value of my time (a dubious proposition, but I still try ...) the homemade stock seems very expensive. Ingredients for my chicken stock are around $8 to $10 / liter, depending on how many bones I've accumulated in the freezer. Beef stock is more, and veal stock more still.