• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Mushroom Stock Ideas Wanted

Shel_B

I think just plain mushrooms is what you want, but no harm in adding other flavors, as long as they're compatible with what you want to use it for.

FYI I've also heard of pulverizing dried mushrooms, and using them as a flavoring ingredient. Might be another avenue to try sometime.

There's some mushroom stock simmering on the stove as I type. I took your advice and added some ground, dried porcini and shiitake to the chopped button and crimini mushrooms. Keeping it simple this time - the apartment has a nice, earthy aroma. Thanks for the suggestion.

... Shel

In Gramercy Tavern-- his Mushroom Broth is just a pound of white buttons..s and p----- simmer one hr and strained

This morning, that's what I did, using white and crimini 'shrooms and some dried porcini and shiitake. Thanks for your suggestion to keep it simple.

• Like 1

... Shel

I use dried shitake quite a bit, and save out the stems for stock.

Since quality dried shitake can be quite pricey, practice in my family is to save the stems for stock (as they aren't edible) and use the caps for other dishes.

I have porcini powder on hand if I need to add flavor quickly.

• Like 1

I use dried shitake quite a bit, and save out the stems for stock.

Since quality dried shitake can be quite pricey, practice in my family is to save the stems for stock (as they aren't edible) and use the caps for other dishes.

I have porcini powder on hand if I need to add flavor quickly.

True. But there are so many grades of dried shiitake mushrooms available (both Chinese and Japanese) that it is quite easy for me to use the water from soaking whole dried Chinese mushroom (cap + stem) or the constituent parts (cap plus broken-off stem) for developing flavor in the mushroom stock, or for developing a stock based on something else - e.g. for many preps for "wonton noodles" I would use a base chicken stock and add ikan bilis (sometimes inclusive of the heads, sometimes not) plus dried Chinese mushrooms/shiitakes cap-and-stem, or stems only, depending on what I had - and not think much about the cost thereof, unless definitely expensive varieties were involved.

ETA: ...and NO, "fresh shiitake mushrooms" are NOT a replacement for dried shiitake/Chinese mushrooms. In contrast to what some folks think about "fresh" ingredients being always better than any other permutation of the same ingredient, the dried ingredient is frequently a separate ingredient in its own right which had developed characteristics valued for itself. I find it a constant source of wonderment when some folks declare that anything other than "fresh" is to be shunned.

Edited by huiray (log)
  • Like 1

Maybe I missed it above, but my inclination would have been to use some simple white or brown buttons, sliced and slow cooked in a tiny bit of oil. When they got a nice caramelized edge on them I would have added water and simmered until the liquid gave me a nice flavor. This only makes sense if including actual mushrooms was not acceptable as part of the prep of the soup or stew. Otherwise it seems like an extra step that does not add much more than futzing time.

Shel_b, coffee filters are cheap as old chips and are multitaskers. Viva paper towels are great for filters, washable ( or at least rinse-out able ) but not as cheap per each. Coffee filters degrease liquids, keep small things from falling thru the colander when rinsing or draining (consider pastina...), drain berries etc. Viva paper towels have gone thru the wash in pockets NUMEROUS times and survived happily! I rest my case...

As I don't use coffee filters, I went to the local Peet's and got a few big Bunn-type filters that I could use in my 8-inch strainer, just to see what the result would be like. I lined the strainer, set it over a nice sized bowl, and poured in the stock. There was only a dribble of stock that went though the filter and the rest just sat there for a couple of hours while I did something else. I ended up straining the stock through one of the T-shirts I have reserved for straining purposes.

Since there were so many recommendations to use coffee filters, it was surprising the technique didn't work. Any ideas as to why the stock wouldn't drain through the filter?

... Shel

Coffee filters clog with fats or thick stuff like tomato puree. If you have time you can get a very clear tomato water with coffee filters, but it takes ages.

I tend to use paper towels in a strainer, and do a couple of passes (with a fresh towel) to get clear filtrates.

The better solution is vacuum filtration with a Buchner funnel, but few kitchens have these. They are cheap, though; and if you have a food saver you have a vacuum source.

Coffee filters clog with fats or thick stuff like tomato puree. If you have time you can get a very clear tomato water with coffee filters, but it takes ages.

I tend to use paper towels in a strainer, and do a couple of passes (with a fresh towel) to get clear filtrates.

The better solution is vacuum filtration with a Buchner funnel, but few kitchens have these. They are cheap, though; and if you have a food saver you have a vacuum source.

Bloody hell - I just bought a vacuum aspirator to attach to the tap to use with my Buchner funnel - was trying to figure out what I'd need to find next to step down the tap size to the aspirator size - and you come up with a really obvious solution! I've got Foodsavers, I've got Reynolds little vac unit - about a half a dozen sources of vacuum that I didn't even consider. Thanks for this.

• Like 1