• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What Kind of Mushrooms Are These?

gulfporter

I bought yesterday at Walmart Mexico.  The labeling is no help.  

Tasting raw, they are stronger than a white or a Portobello.  Almost like a raw shiitake in strength of flavor (though it been years since I tried a raw shiitake).  

The top is very tender (again raw) but not sure if the stems should be cooked and eaten or discarded??

They are a bronzy gray and the color in picture is accurate.  

My plan is to make into a mushroom sauce for our splurge meal today, a Wagyu steak.  

shroom1.jpg

shroom2.jpg

Beautiful. Immediate reaction is some kind of oyster like the King ones. Definitely use the stems maybe separately. I like them cross cut into coins  - so against the grain- very meaty. 

Edited by heidih (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thx @heidih   Have bought oyster shrooms here in past...they've always had white tops, no color at all.  And no flavor, frankly.  But I don't know King ones or any other than the Plain Jane whites.

Panfried one just now.  You are right, the stem are not same texture as tops.  

I will slice and fry tops to use in sauce; maybe experiment with stems another day.  

I have purchased and eaten those a couple of times but I can't remember what they are called.  I do remember that the tops were very tender and tasty while the stem had a dry almost woody texture and we didn't enjoy them.  Not much help, I know.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, TicTac said:

Oyster mushrooms.  King's would be a different head.

I would not cut these at all, but rather tear them naturally along their grain into strips, then fry till golden.

They do tear easily/naturally. Makes sense for a fry till golden prep. Thanks for the idea. 

• Like 2

On 12/26/2021 at 12:43 AM, gulfporter said:

Have bought oyster shrooms here in past...they've always had white tops, no color at all.

Oyster mushrooms come in many colours ranging from white through brown to yellow, red and even blue. My local stores and markets always have at least three or four varieties.

Oyster_mushoom.jpg.1c0bae5566c6893c46b0681e6e1621fc.jpg.3bf1b51c06cb34cb1a54cd80b1a7c7bc.jpg

PleurotusgeesteranusMedium.jpg.83e2341bbf501f1a4723430632ed4fac.thumb.jpg.19b09ac2a249f1ce270f1da1ba59e753.jpg

PleurotusJurcaMedium.jpg.7fbce5d02bcbf702f335afca4f4b77ee.jpg.18343ed16a8ed85254cb3fe08ac806ba.jpg

446276410_GoldenOysters2.thumb.jpg.45eee993a4e12a63f5fd5fb75a323f85.jpg

and here are the king mushrooms (aka eryngii)

Kingoystermushrooms.jpg.59276ae94321b64ab0492fbd2836997b.thumb.jpg.0b96ad3c74b0c5f86d95201d58c72169.jpg

More information here.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

@liuzhou  Wow, those are beautiful!  

Mushrooms aren't used much in MEX cuisine compared to Asian, Italian, French.  There are a few exceptions which occur in isolated areas but never make it to our backwater village.  Friends who go to the main market in nearby Guadalajara say they rarely see any fresh shrooms of interest, maybe an imported pack of shiitakes.  

There are psilocybin mushrooms in MEX, originally (and still) used by indigenous peoples in religious ceremonies and to treat health issues.  There are also people here who use them purely as recreational 'magic mushrooms.'

A few years ago on a road trip a few hours from home, we saw street vendors selling outrageously orange mushrooms.  I was tempted but declined.  

Back home I mentioned them to a local chef friend.  He was so sad we didn't buy them.  Said they were excellent and from a volcanic field and their season is very limited.  Dang!

• 1 year later...

Found these in the backyard after some rain and cooler temperatures. Don't worry, I ain't eating them no matter who says they're delicious. Anyone have any idea what they are. There are a bunch of them.

20231009_183921.jpg

20231009_183911.jpg

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.

2 hours ago, chileheadmike said:

Anyone have any idea what they are. There are a bunch of them.

Looks very like Agaricus campestris squamosus (field mushrooms). Very common in urban gardens. But please, please don't take my word for it. They are also very similar to some deadly poisonous fungi.

Edited by liuzhou (log)

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

Thanks  liuzhou. I did a google search on them, it said the top one is a parasol and the bottom is a false-parasol. 

Interesting, Again, I am not going to eat these things. 

• Like 1

That's the thing about opposum inerds, they's just as tasty the next day.