• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Adventures on Manitoulin ...continued

Kerry Beal

Ice cream maker, I hope.

Hope you won't be too disappointed:

image.jpg

This is it! Blame it all on Dejah

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Progressive stages of darkening of the cooking chamber as Kerry oiled and burned, oiled and burned

image.jpg

First attempt at putting chicken in basket

image.jpg

Hung by legs and butt

image.jpg

Part way through the cooking

image.jpg

The finished bird

image.jpg

Ready to serve.

Edited by Anna N (log)
  • Like 2

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

What sort of oil are you using for the 'conditioning' Flax?

Im sooooo close to getting one of these.

Dejah started the ball rolling ....

would you be willing to add some Times to your cooking selections? Gas on Full etc.

many many thanks.

What sort of oil are you using for the 'conditioning' Flax?

Im sooooo close to getting one of these.

Dejah started the ball rolling ....

would you be willing to add some Times to your cooking selections? Gas on Full etc.

many many thanks.

Yep. Flax seed oil. This puny chix (2 1/2 - 3 lbs) took 70 mins. The inside of the chamber read 480F when the chix went in but realize that the ambient temp on the balcony was 50 F. The propane was on full.

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

So: are you thinking that in colder weather this puppy might 'run out of gas' so to speak? My Grill/BBQ stuff always tastes better

when its Snowing.

Given how quickly it cools down I suspect it is not the ideal cooking vessel to use outdoors in winters similar to those in Canada.

My 2004 eG Blog

I'm wondering if you ever came across any lingonberries/cowberries/low-bush-cranberries?

And, if so, what did you make with them?

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'm wondering if you ever came across any lingonberries/cowberries/low-bush-cranberries?

And, if so, what did you make with them?

Not so far - I recall we decided they were called partridge berries around here. I'll ask in Wiki when I'm there on Wednesday.

Dinner tonight was something I have long wanted to share with Kerry -- Monica Bhide's Shrimp Fritters. Many of you will remember Monica as a keen participant and host of the Indian Forum. I learned this recipe when I was testing recipes for one of Monica's cook books. It was a favourite of my huband.

image.jpg

The marinade ingredients

image.jpg

After being mixed. I was a little alarmed at the colour and wondered if I had been a bit heavy-handed with the tumeric. Then I remembered I was using free range eggs with their brilliant yolks.

image.jpg

The fritters after being floured and deep-fried.

• Like 3

My 2004 eG Blog

Oh, those look good. Is the recipe available online? Otherwise, which of her books is it from? (Yes, I remember Monica.)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Oh, those look good. Is the recipe available online? Otherwise, which of her books is it from? (Yes, I remember Monica.)

I think if you scroll down.......

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=131183505

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Very simple, light breakfast for me this morning. Eggs scrambled with a couple of scallions. Plans for today include some scallops to sous-vide, a piece of pork shoulder in the Big Easy and an onion soubise. Please don't ask me to explain the connection as there isn't one!

My 2004 eG Blog

It's Canadian Thanksgiving today - so hoping it will be a civilized day in the ER - but not holding my breath.

DSCN2230.jpg

Parkin to take - lovely chewy little squared with oatmeal, molasses, lots of spice and a bit of candied peel.

I love cauliflower fries, but have gotten lazy, having to turn all those little pieces. Now, I make cauliflower steaks:

roasted cauliflower steak.jpg

Looking forward to your pork roast in The Big Easy. The chicken you did looked great! Was wondering about the "pinkish" tinge on the thighs...from salting? When I do the Chinese salted chicken, the meat tends to have that colouring.

I have followed the Zuni Cafe Roast Chicken method of salting the chicken and air-drying for a couple of days in the fridge to achieve the crispy skin. But I found with the Big Easy, I can skip the two days of sitting in the fridge!

Tucking fresh herbs under the skin really makes wonderfully flavoured chicken. I used to buy Safeway rotisserie often for quick meals. They've since lost their most regular customer.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

It's Canadian Thanksgiving today - so hoping it will be a civilized day in the ER - but not holding my breath.

Parkin to take - lovely chewy little squared with oatmeal, molasses, lots of spice and a bit of candied peel.

We did Thanksgiving dinner yesterday. It's not often I get 2 days off... I wanted to keep today open for being lazy.

I saw your last post about Parkin and was curious so I did a little researching. I've been meaning to actually get around to making it. This would be a good day to do it (nothing important to do and it's kinda chilly) except there's already an overload of leftover dessert stuff from yesterday sitting in the kitchen.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I love cauliflower fries, but have gotten lazy, having to turn all those little pieces. Now, I make cauliflower steaks:

attachicon.gifroasted cauliflower steak.jpg

Looking forward to your pork roast in The Big Easy. The chicken you did looked great! Was wondering about the "pinkish" tinge on the thighs...from salting? When I do the Chinese salted chicken, the meat tends to have that colouring.

I have followed the Zuni Cafe Roast Chicken method of salting the chicken and air-drying for a couple of days in the fridge to achieve the crispy skin. But I found with the Big Easy, I can skip the two days of sitting in the fridge!

Tucking fresh herbs under the skin really makes wonderfully flavoured chicken. I used to buy Safeway rotisserie often for quick meals. They've since lost their most regular customer.

Yep the chicken was generously salted and left, uncovered in the 'fridge for about 24 hours. It was thoroughly cooked. Pork smells fabulous after about 40 minutes!

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

Lunch for today. I know it looks like the same old, same old but this is a Thai-style pork n beans. Ground pork, Thai red curry paste, kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce, green beans and a pinch of sugar. Kerry will have to re-heat when (if) she gets out of emerg! I know she left here without breakfast.

image.jpg

And the piece of pork shoulder that is currently smelling heavenly after nearly an hour in the Big Easy. Going very simple this first time -- nothing more than a generous shower of salt. I plan on flipping it over after the first hour.

My 2004 eG Blog

image.jpg

And after four hours in the B E ... Very tasty. Pulled just before 200F. Never put the lid on but flipped it every hour.

No soubise today as there are not enough onions in the house and the Island is closed up tight for Thanksgiving but I did manage to SV some large Costco scallops.

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

And after four hours in the B E ... Very tasty. Pulled just before 200F. Never put the lid on but flipped it every hour.

No soubise today as there are not enough onions in the house and the Island is closed up tight for Thanksgiving but I did manage to SV some large Costco scallops.

I'd take that over turkey any day... including Thanksgiving.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Wow. that looks so good.

I hope you don't mind a few Q's :

was that 4 hours " full blast " ?

""" Pulled just before 200F """

was that the internal temp?

""" flipped it every hour """

up and down? or Round and Round?

Im very hoping for an "" internal Slice Shot """

many thanks

DSCN2231.jpg

Dinner tonight - scallops - sous v'ed for 40 minutes from frozen at 60º C. Sautéed in some duck fat. You would not believe just how perfect these babies are!

• Like 2