• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Adventures on Manitoulin ...continued

Kerry Beal

Wow. that looks so good.

I hope you don't mind a few Q's :

was that 4 hours " full blast " ?

""" Pulled just before 200F """

was that the internal temp?

""" flipped it every hour """

up and down? or Round and Round?

Im very hoping for an "" internal Slice Shot """

many thanks

Will try to answer but eG seems to be acting up.

image.jpg

There's your inside shot. We have been picking at it on and off!

4 hours full blast no lid.

Internal at centre of roast just under 200 F.

Flipped round and round but not on ends ( would be unstable).

• Like 3

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

For rounds this am (very poorly attended) - some cheese biscuits. The doc I make these for was not in attendance. That'll learn 'im.

DSCN2236.jpg

Experiments in microwave aging of my absinthe. 3 cycles bringing it up to about 65º C then cooling between. I put the lid on after each cycle - but I realize that part of what I want to accomplish is to get rid of the nasty esters - so thinking a coffee filter on top after is probably the way to go.

Will do some taste tests later.

DSCN2233.jpg

Getting ready to strain the vermouth.

DSCN2237.jpg

Strained.

DSCN2239.jpg

Gelatine fining of the vermouth - 1.5 grams of gelatine bloomed in a bit of water and heated to dissolve. Look how cloudy it made things.

IMG_0819.jpg

We'll see how it looks when we return from Espanola.

• Like 2

attachicon.gifDSCN2231.jpg

Dinner tonight - scallops - sous v'ed for 40 minutes from frozen at 60º C. Sautéed in some duck fat. You would not believe just how perfect these babies are!

We've been cooking our scallops sous vide since we put together the equipment to do so. We'd sear them in duck fat if we ever had any. Even just seared in oil, they're amazing, right up there with some scallops we had from a restaurant in a small town on the west coast of Scotland, a few years before we'd ever thought of doing them sous vide ourselves. About the only thing that might make them more perfect would be if there were scallops growing in the water about half a mile north of us.

Last time, we wondered about putting them in small buns and serving them as scallop sliders!

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

I am really enjoying this ongoing adventure. DH has been to Manitoulin Island, but I haven't. I think I'll have to fix that.

Edited by Smithy (log)

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

It seems to me that scallops cook so quickly that a quick sear is enough. What does the sous vide do for them that the quick sear doesn't? Those look lovely and tasty, by the way.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well we went off Island today to Espanola which is a 30 minute drive. There we shopped until we almost dropped. I have posted pictures of our "loot" and once I get my second wind will respond as needed.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

It seems to me that scallops cook so quickly that a quick sear is enough. What does the sous vide do for them that the quick sear doesn't? Those look lovely and tasty, by the way.

I find when I try to sear scallops that have been previously frozen that a bunch of liquid comes out and screws up my sear. This way all the moisture has been purged and they sear beautifully.

Look what we saw in our travels today - a "breakfast sandwich maker". The new must have!

IMG_0820.jpg

IMG_0821.jpg

This was a little more 'must have' - except I love my BGE to smoke more than anything - specially since it's essentially self cleaning with a nice hot burn.

IMG_0825.jpg

No where on it could we see anything saying it was to be used outside.

IMG_0826.jpg

And of course we had to 'try on' the only cover we could find for 'New Orleans' - our new Big Easy oilless turkey fryer.

Recovering from our retail therapy - we mixed a Maximilian Affair. The St Germaine is gone - but the Chase did yeoman's service - and I love the bottle.

IMG_0830.jpg

We had to do some tasting of the absinthe - version 1 - un-aged - conclusion VILE.

IMG_0831.jpg

Version 2 - microwave aged - much less so but still kinda vile.

IMG_0834.jpg

You Are Talking To Me:

Id like a Full Review of the Black Jack Wood Chips. Ive heard about them.

I have Cherry, Apple, Oak Full Organic. i keep the once that Look Nice and keep them out of my Wood Stove.

Might I get some of my Local Organic Chips ( made my hand from the Above ) and sprinkle them with some

??? Rum Let dry ?? no Black Jack anywhere near here.

I dont think you will go for with that. why not use Black Jack itself? get some peri dishes, GLASS, and a small amount of B.J. and let it evaporate and use those small "for use with small powders and drugs" puppy's you carry to scrape the reside.

I Know Wood this is not what you want to try.

or not ...........

DSCN2241.jpg

A lovely little stir fry put together by Anna with some of the leftover pork shoulder and featuring the chicken chili jarred sauce - man that stuff is hot - but yummy!

Recovering from our retail therapy - we mixed a Maximilian Affair. The St Germaine is gone - but the Chase did yeoman's service - and I love the bottle.

Haven't tried that drink yet but I still have most of a bottle of St. Germain and most of 2 bottles of the Chase so maybe I should give it a shot.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

I dont think you will go for with that. why not use Black Jack itself? get some peri dishes, GLASS, and a small amount of B.J. and let it evaporate and use those small "for use with small powders and drugs" puppy's you carry to scrape the reside.

I Know Wood this is not what you want to try.

or not ...........

That's what they're for, Rotuts. You can get various bits of oak; some have been previously used for barrels of JD or whatever, others are 'un-aged'. But the idea is you can soak them in either straight alcohol (Everclear over there, probably) or stuff you've already flavoured to pick up more flavour and smooth the result somewhat. I haven't tried this yet, but I have some rum barrel chips for when I get round to putting a molasses ferment through my still.

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

Wow new area for me. sorry that was petri dish.

why bother with the go-between? just add some evap.Jack.

:huh:

Nah - much more fun to make your own (if you're allowed). We're talking gallons of the stuff; you'd need a lot of petri dishes!

Sorry for highjacking your thread, Kerry and Anna ...

Leslie Craven, aka "lesliec"
Host, eG Forumslcraven@egstaff.org

After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relatives ~ Oscar Wilde

My eG Foodblog

eGullet Ethics Code signatory

gallons of EVAP?

back to the thread .... there might be stuff in that wood you might not want to drink.

they haven't told you where its been, now have they?

.... and you believed that? .....

Edited by rotuts (log)

Happy to have it explained Leslie.

I've been to distilleries all over the world - and the thing many have in common is aging their product in oak barrels. Bourbon must be aged in new, heavily charred american oak. The Scots - thrifty fellows that they were recycled those american bourbon barrels, rather than see them destroyed - to age their malt. They also age in recycled sherry and other wine barrels.

Rum is aged in a variety of previously used barrels as well.

The oak imparts some vanillin and other compounds to the spirit and in the process smooths out the raw spirit.

As Leslie mentioned - people take everclear, dilute to about 65% and add the barrel chips to it to get the same effect. It doesn't require the number of years that large hogshead sized barrels do because of the increased surface area. There are also people playing with decreasing the aging time through the use of microwaves, vacuum and ultrasound. Heresy to some, practical to others - especially those who have opened new distilleries and need to get some product out on the shelf before 8 to 10 years is up. I suspect the now frequently seen 'white dog' products reflects the number of new craft distilleries opening up.

• Like 1

"" heavily charred ""

Id think about that. 'activated charcoal' sort of. the booze does not come into contact with 'fresh wood'

try some "hard wood tea" first.

i only say this as Chris Schlesinger

http://www.amazon.com/Chris-Schlesinger/e/B001IOBKQ0/ref=sr_ntt_srch_lnk_1?qid=1381882096&sr=1-1-spell

does not use fresh wood for his Q. I only know this as ive met him. locally. he condensed some of the stuff from fresh wood a long time ago, and i doubt anyone would drink it.

YMMV try the Hard Wood Tea.

not trying to be a wise asse here .... after all, youre not making a 100 gallons of the stuff?