• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Adventures on Manitoulin ...continued

Kerry Beal

At the end of our last stay on Manitoulin, Tri2cook mentioned how much he had enjoyed the latest instalment of 'Kerry and Anna's Excellent Adventures' so it seemed an appropriate title for this trip. We travelled in a car rather than a phone booth to get here.

I picked up Anna a few minutes after 7 yesterday morning - we enjoyed our breakfast en route.

IMG_0784.jpg

Our "carcuterie" plate.

Photo4.jpg

We stopped in Owen Sound at the farmer's market and grabbed a few things - but also at a surplus store where I managed to obtain a bunch of great little bottles - the better to bottle bitters to share.

DSCN2103.jpg

We made it in time for our ferry reservation - given the very small numbers on the ferry this time if year - it wasn't really necessary to have a reservation.

For lunch - because the ferry doesn't serve calamari - we both had the chicken wings. Can't beat wings with a view. It was a bit rough initially on the crossing - Anna looked a touch green for a few minutes.

Photo3.jpg

DSCN2102.jpg

We had plans for a particular cocktail last night - however the booze is still packed away in the cupboard so we had to make do with the ingredients we had brought to replenish our stock - we had Dillon's white rye - which tastes like a spicy version of genever, aperol and candy cap mushroom bitters. We adapted the intro to aperol recipe using these - first sip was intensely raisiny - but it smoothed out to quite a nice little drink. We had to shake it in the first capped container we could find in the cupboard - thank god there was ice in the freezer. Which reminds me - I'd better get some more cubes going.

Think we'll call it the Mother Hubbard or the Mother of Invention.

IMG_0788.jpg

Dinner was cooked on the gas BBQ (or at least started on the gas BBQ and moved to the broiler because the wind was interfering) - some lovely little asparagus spears and a rather thin rib eye.

Photo5.jpg

Photo2.jpg

The view from my plate -

IMG_0793.jpg

Ended up with this picture because I'd accidentally switched off the noise that my phone makes when snapping a picture - by the time I figured out what I'd done I had quite a number of picture of my feet and fingers.

• Like 2

So - what trouble do we intend to get into this trip you ask?

Let's see what we have brought along to play with -

inspired by dejah over on this thread we have brought along a Big Easy oilless turkey fryer to play with. There is after all a perfectly good propane tank attached to the gasser on the porch.

DSCN2105.jpg

I bought a couple of containers of unpasteurized cider at Costco before I left - added a bit of wine yeast to them last night and - wisely I think - popped them in the sink in case they decided to blow. So far no leakage and they seem to be fermenting along nicely this morning.

DSCN2106.jpg

• Like 1

Welcome back, Anna and Kerry. Always enjoy your blogs.

You purchased tomatillos? In Owen Sound?

Indeed - actually I think 4 of the vendors there had them. There were ground cherries growing in the flower beds out front of the market - tempted - but didn't steal any.

:biggrin:

love to see you put that tandoor though its paces. love the other thread.

looks like one might be on my horizon.

I routinely ferment local apple cider. but never used a vapor lock

:cool:

Then what do you do with it?

i drink it. Its a little fizzy and quite dry. not too much of a buzzz, but a bit.

BTW looking forward to the KB & AN studies with the Pot they brought.

:huh:

How does it look ...turbid?

Think we'll call it the Mother Hubbard or the Mother of Invention.

I like both names. Mother Hubbard because it's a perfect description of how it came about and Mother of Invention because I'm a fan of anything I can twist into a Frank Zappa reference. I once tried a drink recipe based almost entirely on the fact that it was called Penguin In Bondage. It sounded like it would be tasty, and it was, but that wasn't the primary reason I tried it.

• Like 2

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Hoping you have your Laser IR gun to take some readings on the steel insert with the 'cal' factor for reflectivity taken into account

Indeed we do.

I bought a couple of containers of unpasteurized cider at Costco before I left - added a bit of wine yeast to them last night and - wisely I think - popped them in the sink in case they decided to blow. So far no leakage and they seem to be fermenting along nicely this morning.

attachicon.gifDSCN2106.jpg

Does the balloon method work well? I have heard of it but have never tried it..

Edited by Ashen (log)

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

attachicon.gifDSCN2106.jpg

Does the balloon method work well? I have heard of it but have never tried it..

Seems to be so far - I did have a second balloon - but I managed to tear it. Was hoping to keep the airlock for another project.

It was 2 pm we were still in pajamas - started to feel a little peckish.

Anna made some leftover steak with veg -

DSCN2107.jpg

I had an omelet - cheese, veg and mushroom. Hope no one is offended by the colour in my omelet!

DSCN2110.jpg

When we arrived there were 4 dozen of your 'usual' eggs -

DSCN2109.jpg

And a dozen duck eggs!

DSCN2108.jpg

Not sure what we'll get up to with those.

Edited by Kerry Beal (log)
  • Like 2