• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Excellent Adventures on Manitoulin ...continued

Kerry Beal

That is maddening on the herbs.

So the cauliflower was chewy?

Cauliflower was really underdone - we may need to experiment further.

Anyone in the market for Dittany of Crete - let me know - I used 6 grams I think.

Following a recipe - here. In other readings I came to the conclusion that Muscatel was the best base - I guess the colour comes from the caramelized sugar you add at the end - and I think if it isn't rich and raisiny enough when I'm done I'll add a little of the Lusteau Moscatel sherry to round it out.

A batch of dark chocolate bark - toasted coconut, lemongrass essential oil and a few leftover roasted almonds. This will be for Max's wife Joanna - who much prefers dark.

DSCN2164.jpg

Chewy Molasses Spice cookies for work at the Manor tomorrow.

DSCN2165.jpg

That plum cake really does look nice.

On the topic of the Dillon's white rye, I tried a Brooklyn with it the other night. Not the best cocktail I've ever had. Then, last night, I made an Improved Old Fashioned with Boker's bitters (that you gave me, Kerry), Luxardo, and some cane syrup (forgot the absinthe - oops), and it was pretty stellar. My half-bottle of white rye is almost used up!

• Like 1

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

Think I could make that up here. I've even got the absinthe.

Remind me and I'll drop a little bottle of the Candy Cap bitters in your mailbox on my way back down from the island - I think you'll enjoy playing with them.

Cauliflower is mostly air, which is a lousy conductor. Perhaps if the SV bag was filled with water the heat would be better transmitted.

Or maybe if the thing was cut into "steaks" for SV..

• Like 1

That plum cake is the recipe my MIL stumbled upon and made, because we had plums to use. It was delicious. And, lucky me: we have plum halves, pitted and frozen and waiting for winter, when otherwise there wouldn't be plums for plum cake.

Kerry, you and Anna always find the most fascinating things to do on Manitoulin. What do people who live there full-time do?

MelissaH

Oswego, NY

Chemist, writer, hired gun

Say this five times fast: "A big blue bucket of blue blueberries."

foodblog1 | kitchen reno | foodblog2

Cauliflower is mostly air, which is a lousy conductor. Perhaps if the SV bag was filled with water the heat would be better transmitted.

Or maybe if the thing was cut into "steaks" for SV..

Hmmm.... But the whole point was to cook it whole!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Ill try this soon. looking forward to Exp. #2. thanks for that internal temp measurement.

Im very weak with SV Veg. im guessing the point is to keep the veg flavor in the veg, not in the boiling water. I also will stick with my SV plan to make a whole bunch at one shot and re-heat later.

I guess a Veg. Connoisseur would have to chime in on SV vs Steamed. Id guess the SV bag might hold some enhancers: butter, brown sugar etc.

Edited by rotuts (log)

Another great idea that got lost in translation! I wandered into the kitchen this morning determined to deal with a tray of chicken breasts before they passed their safely edible date. Sitting on the counter was a large bag of French's fried onion rings. I offer no excuse for what my elderly brain thought might quell my breakfast hunger. Why not combine a chicken breast with onion rings?

image.jpg

Here's why:

image.jpg

Tomorrow I will be sure my brain is fully operative before I decide on breakfast!

• Like 1

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

Ill try this soon. looking forward to Exp. #2. thanks for that internal temp measurement.

Im very weak with SV Veg. im guessing the point is to keep the veg flavor in the veg, not in the boiling water. I also will stick with my SV plan to make a whole bunch at one shot and re-heat later.

I guess a Veg. Connoisseur would have to chime in on SV vs Steamed. Id guess the SV bag might hold some enhancers: butter, brown sugar etc.

I have tried a few vegetables sous-vide and I have found them to be much more challenging than proteins. Size, age and quality can vary so much that what I consider the reason for sous-vide -- consistent and predictable results -- simply does not hold. I am getting closer and closer to thinking that just because you can doesn't mean you should! I'd love to be convinced otherwise. Tamar Adler's method in An Everlasting Meal suits me better. She roasts two or three trays of vegetables on the weekend then incorporates these into meals throughout the week.

• Like 2

My 2004 eG Blog

Another great idea that got lost in translation! I wandered into the kitchen this morning determined to deal with a tray of chicken breasts before they passed their safely edible date. Sitting on the counter was a large bag of French's fried onion rings. I offer no excuse for what my elderly brain thought might quell my breakfast hunger. Why not combine a chicken breast with onion rings?

A valiant attempt!

Next time try pulverizing/crushing the onion rings in a blender/Cuisinart until they are more like crumbs. That should make for better breading/coating. You should still get the onion flavor but not so much chunkiness.

• Like 1

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

An interesting day at work today. I assumed I was in Wiki - cause the calendar said WIC - turns out I was replacing the nurse practitioner for walk in patients this am. And it turned out that I really only had to work until lunchtime. So more time to play this afternoon.

attachicon.gifDSCN2152.jpg

My mess in place for Carpano antica clone. 19 ingredients - I was missing two - one because it showed up at my house today (and I'm not there) and the other because I have it at home and forgot to bring it with me thinking I already had some up here).

attachicon.gifDSCN2153.jpg

All weighed out and added to my infusion bottle.

attachicon.gifDSCN2154.jpg

4 bottles of Samos muscat sweet wine added along with 50 cc of 95% to bring it up to 16.5% alcohol.

Hi Kerry. That looks very interesting. Do you have a recipe for this, or a link to one? The LCBO doesn't carry Carpano antica, and I don't get down south often enough. I'd love to try it myself.

A valiant attempt!

Next time try pulverizing/crushing the onion rings in a blender/Cuisinart until they are more like crumbs. That should make for better breading/coating. You should still get the onion flavor but not so much chunkiness.

Thanks. Might have looked better but the taste is not something I am overly anxious to try again.

My 2004 eG Blog

An interesting day at work today. I assumed I was in Wiki - cause the calendar said WIC - turns out I was replacing the nurse practitioner for walk in patients this am. And it turned out that I really only had to work until lunchtime. So more time to play this afternoon.

attachicon.gifDSCN2152.jpg

My mess in place for Carpano antica clone. 19 ingredients - I was missing two - one because it showed up at my house today (and I'm not there) and the other because I have it at home and forgot to bring it with me thinking I already had some up here).

attachicon.gifDSCN2153.jpg

All weighed out and added to my infusion bottle.

attachicon.gifDSCN2154.jpg

4 bottles of Samos muscat sweet wine added along with 50 cc of 95% to bring it up to 16.5% alcohol.

Hi Kerry. That looks very interesting. Do you have a recipe for this, or a link to one? The LCBO doesn't carry Carpano antica, and I don't get down south often enough. I'd love to try it myself.

Post #78 has a link to the recipe.

A bit of catching up to do. A long morning at the nursing home - was pretty peckish when I arrived back - couldn't much think about what to cook.

Threw a couple of eggs in with some of the Antipasti we picked up at Costco. A very satisfactory meal.

IMG_0808.jpg

Cocktail tonight - Matt's suggestion - and Improved Old Fashioned. Thought I had maraschino - but made do with some kirsh. We are waiting for it to grow on us.

DSCN2170.jpg

Anna sous v'ed some chicken breast - did the technique with a flour/starch/butter paste for the browning. She roasted up the remains of yesterday's cauliflower (much better this time) and we had a little bit of the antipasti again to go with it.

DSCN2167.jpg

• Like 1

IMG_0810.jpg

Brownies to take to the ER today - just hoping it's a long stretch before they call me in. Anna and I were both woken around 5:45 by a loud bang somewhere outside. So much for sleeping in a bit!

• Like 1

A bit foggy overnight and realized I had to get the garbage out to the curb. Noticed that these spiders won't be catching much prey with their webs as obvious as this.

DSCN2173.jpg

Anna had cooked up some lovely little bacon ends we picked up at Max's yesterday when we picked up the turkeys. A bit of green onion and some mushroom - perfect with a couple of eggs.

DSCN2176.jpg

• Like 1

image.jpg

Breakfast for me is pretty much the same.

image.jpg

Thought I would also show the hole I cut in the lid to my Rubbermaid Sous Vide vessel using only scissors and a paring knife!

• Like 1

My 2004 eG Blog