• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create an account.

Twyst

Cooking with "Modernist Cuisine" (Part 4)

68 posts in this topic

Yes, you are correct for the short ribs: 3 days refrigerated / 3 months frozen. The dehydrated garlic can be kept in an airtight container overnight, but it will turn soggy if left any longer. Dehydrated beef can be kept shredded in the fridge for a couple of days but is best when fried right before serving.

Sam, I had good luck keeping the garlic for about a week by adding some silica gel packets to an airtight container.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Hello,

Newbie here! I received the MC for christmas and have been cooking my way through it since. I have been reading attentively your comments and enjoyed thorouly the pictures.

I would like to ask if anyone tried to make the potato beignet (4-174).

I failed miserably at getting a workable dough. It was very liquid and I could not get it shaped as a ball. The end result was horrible. I tried to fry a handful of them and ended up with oil-soaked chips, not the doughy ball shown on the pic. The only thing I can think of is that I was using another brand of methocel as I did not have the Methocel E4M recommended by the recipe. Would that have made a big difference?

Thank you for your feedback!

How well does the Mac and Cheese keep? I mean, I plan on boiling the pasta and stirring in the sauce at the last minute but that's not to say everyone will eat at the same time. Do people keep leftovers of this or do you do what I've done in the past: that is, cook the pasta to order and stir the cheese sauce in when it's done?

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

How well does the Mac and Cheese keep? I mean, I plan on boiling the pasta and stirring in the sauce at the last minute but that's not to say everyone will eat at the same time. Do people keep leftovers of this or do you do what I've done in the past: that is, cook the pasta to order and stir the cheese sauce in when it's done?

It doesn't keep very well...it sets up fairly quickly. You can loosen it back out with some water, but it's not nearly as good.

I disagree. I often make a double batch of the sauce & freeze one of those for later. It thaws & remelts well. Think other people have claimed it lasts a week in the fridge or two months in the freezer.

Has anyone made the potato salad? What did you think of it? Furthermore, how does it stand up to storage -- i.e. being made in the morning, parked in the fridge and then served at lunchtime? If the deep-fried skins would get soggy I guess I could substitute them with some good quality salted potato crisps.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

Somewhere in MC or maybe MC@H I read about a pressure cooker canning jar method of rendering lard. I can't find it. All I have at hand at the moment is MC@H and MC vol 4.

Could someone share the recipe and tell me where it's shown?

Somewhere in MC or maybe MC@H I read about a pressure cooker canning jar method of rendering lard. I can't find it. All I have at hand at the moment is MC@H and MC vol 4.

Put your fat in canning jars along with water and the addition of 0.4% (of the weight of the fat) of baking soda. Pressure cook 4 hours and decant off the fat. The aroma will be strong at first, so leave the jar open to cool.

Put your fat in canning jars along with water and the addition of 0.4% (of the weight of the fat) of baking soda. Pressure cook 4 hours and decant off the fat. The aroma will be strong at first, so leave the jar open to cool.

Thanks! Which volume is it from?

Thanks! Which volume is it from?

Volume 3, page 144.

I have 6 extra whole prime strip loins laying around at the minute that need to be used. I'd like to experiment and make pastrami with a couple of them. Would I significantly reduce the time cooked sous vide to only a couple of hours since this is already a pretty tender cut, or should I just cook it like the book suggests for shortrib/cheek/brisket/whatever?

Edited by Twyst (log)

FWIW, @Home (p.317) says the perfectly melting cheese slices can be held up to 10 days in the refrigerator or 2 months in the freezer. This recipe is a little different from the MC one, as it includes no iota carrageenan, so the latter might actually hold longer (less available water), but I think you can take the @Home recommendation as a safe minimum. Especially as I generally find the storage notes in the book to be quite conservative.

I just made a batch of the mushroom ketchup. It's interesting. Quite different to the Blumenthal one. I think I prefer it, although it's hard to fairly review this sort of thing without some meat. The lack of, er, chunky bits is a positive, though.

Chris Taylor

Melbourne

I haven't tried the MC version yet but I like the pieces of pickled mushroom in the Blumenthal version. The thing I didn't like about the Blumenthal version, done exactly as written, was that it was way too salty for me. I'll have to give the MC version a try.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

Most vegetables I have cooked sous vide have been a disappointment.  Carrots, for example.  However tonight I tried corn on the cob (3-289) 60 deg C for 15 minutes and am now a believer.

I trimmed the corn and otherwise left it whole.  Can anyone tell me why MC says to cut the corn to 3 inch lengths?

Well, it's been four years since I last posted about the Modernist Cuisine burger bun recipe. I have made them a couple times since, and have finally dialed in the techniques. This time I stayed more carefully with the MC proportions, and I actually have the correct size ring molds now. I also ignored the suggested proofing time and simply let them proof until they filled the ring molds. Man these are good buns. The texture is spot-on perfect. When reheated on the grill they develop a crisp but super-thin shell layer and a fluffy, absorbent interior that yields to a bite immediately with no hint of chewiness. Hard to imagine a better burger bun, in my opinion. The finished burger can be seen in the Cooking with Rick Bayless's More Mexican Everyday topic. Nothing Modernist about the rest of it I'm afraid!

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

Hello guys,

Ive been lucky enough to be able to find this forum discussing modernist cuisine book. Its been 4 years since last post in this discussion so I am kinda pessimistic if I get any feedback at all. Past few days Ive been browsing forums, trying to gather anything concerning Mushroom swiss burger - unfortunately, there is not much to find except Chris Henesses take on this recipe which Ive found very helping but he decided to skip all the veges such as sauted maitake mushrooms, compressed heirloom tomato and smoked lettuce.

If you guys are interested, I would like to ask you few questions concerning this recipe. Any kind of information is very appreciated. I am looking forward to share the knowledge with you.

MUSHROOM SWISS BURGER - QUESTIONS

1. Hamburger bun

- it seems to me that if you stick to instructions, it makes a perfect bun (as Chris mentioned). Has anybody had an opportunity to compare this and Heston Blumenthals bun ? If so, which one do you prefere?

2. Sautéed Maitake mushroom

- what are your thoughts on this condiment? did you like it in your burger ? is it worth trying ?

- are you supposed to take off the stem or just to take the whole thing and make 1,5cm thick slices which are then just sauteed in beef suet with salt (if so for how long?)

3. Compressed tomato

- what do you think about it ? Had anybody done a side by side comparison of compressed and uncompressed tomato ? Does it concentrate the flavor or just helps with texture?

- my thoughts are that the corner stone would be to use seasonal produce (it doesnt make sense to compress bland winter tomato)

- I suppose that chamber vacuum sealer is the only option here, I have this foodsaver V2860, but if its needed, I would ask my friend who has access to chamber sealer to help me with this one

4. Smoked lettuce

- did you guys like it ? is it worth the effort?

- Ive seen one of Mr. Nathan Myhrwold's comments that chamber sealer is not mandatory. Ive tried this using my food processor V2860 with this jar attachment but didnt work. Even hot tapped water doesnt "boil" in this jar when the vacuum is applied - I suppose that pump isnt strong enough to do the job. Have anybody tried this using chamber sealer? 

- have you tried to add any additional liquids to marinate lettuce in ? I mean some spicy condiment could be interesting, the lettuce would not only be smoked but also spicy - it could serve as a substitution for using jalapenos in burger itself

5. Hamburger patty

- can anybody elaborate on cryofrying vs grilling the pattie ? I mean this seems to be the hardest part and I would like to know if its worth to do all the job with liquid nitrogen

- what blend of meat do you prefer ?

6. Milkshake

- has anybody tried to compare the milkshake version from MC at home and MC ? Those are two different approaches. One asks for skimmed milk and the other one for raw milk. MC uses blend of skimmed milk, strawberries and fructoes whereas MC at home uses raw milk with protein isolate and deepfrozen raspberry powder.

7. Onion rings

- if anybody tried this one, what do you think ? did you like it?

This seems to be really long list of questions, but any kind of feedback and info concerning your experience will help me alot. I am 25 year old student who loves to cook and push the limits, but I still have badget in mind, so I cant afford to try an learn all or my own. Therefore I am asking for your help.

I am really looking forward to share the knowledge with YOU.

• Similar Content

• By bhsimon
      Anyone tried this?

I'm trying to think of something novel to do for my friends at an upcoming birthday weekend. We are renting a house in the Hunter Valley (Australian wine region) and food is a major component of our weekend. Last time I did fizzy fruit—the grapes and oranges were awesome and everyone enjoyed the unique experience. I want to do something quirky like that again.

The whipping siphon is easy to transport so I'm interested in using it. The siphoned soufflé in Modernist Cuisine, volume 4 page 297, has a chocolate variation that does not require propylene glycol alginate or maltodextrin (I don't have those things in my pantry, yet). That looks like it might be a good one to try. Anyone done that and have some advice for me before I dive in?
    • By bhsimon
      Besides the health concerns, deep frying steak is the best way to get an even colour and crust on steak. In my most recent experiment, I tried the technique of deep frying prior to, and after, cooking the steak sous vide. In the past, I had only fried the meat after it had been cooked.

The meat was veal chops. As can often be the case, the meat was mishandled somewhere along the way. The obvious signs of this were indentations in the surface. This kind of thing makes it tricky to pan fry and get even colour.

This soft meat is also tricky to vacuum seal as it can often be further compressed and misshapen in the process.

I was delighted to observe that a short 45 seconds in hot oil fixed both of these issues! I didn't expect that. Nice. The meat plumped up and that indentation was gone. It also held its shape nicely when vacuum packed.

Time and temperature matters. The difference can be just a few seconds or degrees. In the next picture, the time was the same but the oil was 20°C hotter for the steak on the left and the crust is noticeably darker. My next experiment will try 30 seconds at 200°C before and after.

The goal is to keep the crust as thin as possible.

I hadn't anticipated the secondary benefits of deep frying prior to sous vide. The plumping of the meat and slight firmness made them easy to package and present. I am curious whether anyone has observed this. I am also curious if it would it work in hot water, rather than oil.

• By Porthos
      I have purchased an Anova circulator. My interest in sous vide is based upon needing to prepare chicken and pork dishes that remain more moist than other cooking methods I have used. This is based upon needing more moistness for my wife. After her bariactric surgery she became sensitive to meat that is not still very moist.

I would like recommendations for some threads to read through to help get me started.
    • By Adamsm83
      So I did a quick search for a SV whole prime rib and everything I found just turned into, "why waste your time? Just roast it!" Which I would generally agree with, but the kitchen I work in only has one oven that can't be tied up long enough to do the prime rib, so I found a couple of recipes out there and I think my recipe will be as follows...
      Cut a 10# prime rib in half and salt and pepper the outside.
      Vaccum seal each 5# roast and SV at 137 degrees for 10hours.
      Remove from the bags. Pat dry, rub all over with roasted garlic puree, chopped rosemary, thyme & pepper.
      Roast in a 500 degree oven until dark brown.

Now here is where things get tricky, I want to hold it under a banquette heat lamp during service and cut to order (like you used to see at every home town restaurant in the 90's) So my questions are, 1, is it safe? I realize that the SV and the oven should be safe, but then it sits out , although under a heat lamp, lets face it, they aren't great. Still if it sits from 5 to 9 and is gone by 9 then its okay to be in the danger zone since it will be gone in 4 hours anyways (assuming we sell out or throw out left overs. 2, what would my expected yield be after SV. I read you have a loss of approx. 20% when roasting, less if its bone-in, so SV w/ bones what are your opinions? And lastly, what are peoples opinions about the flavor profile of SV beef on the bone. 

Other info to consider, i will be using a very fresh, very local beef that is grass fed up to 600# and finished on brewers grains. The meat has a very rich flavor, not overly irony, but still much more "meaty, beefy" flavor than the crap at the super markets. 
      Anyways, I would like to get this thing rolling next week, so any helpful tips, tricks or advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!
    • By Morkai
      I am planning on making Michael Ruhlman's macaroni and cheese this weekend for a party. In the recipe, you make a soubise sauce with flour, butter, milk, and carmelized onions. You hand blend these all together (with some spices), and then add the grated cheese to the hot liquid to melt. Then you can mix in with the cooked pasta and keep overnight in the fridge.

Then I remembered I have sodium citrate in the pantry. 

We like this recipe, but find that it's not as "cheesy" or "creamy" as we'd like it to be sometimes, especially after cooking. Would adding a dash of sodium citrate to the cheese/soubise mixture help keep it that classic cheesy texture? Even if it sat overnight in the fridge and was then baked? As I am making this along with smoking a couple pork butts for my girlfriend's co-workers, I really don't want to have a food disaster! 

Thanks all,

Mork