• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food Products That Really Suck and Should Never Be Made

weinoo

OK - when you want to try and make a Beefeater Rickey on a plane, and you ask if there is any lime and the flight attendant says yes and brings you this, run for the hills...

Limes?_2.jpg

Because you know what? It's not anything like fresh lime, young lady.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

At least you were able to experience the stuff in one "wedge-sized" package. I bought a bottle each of the lemon and lime, thinking they might make decent "in a pinch" substitutions for when we're traveling and run out of the real thing. I tend to be a purist about ingredients and never buy the bottled juices, but for trailer travel there can be a room issue. I figured that, at worst, I'd be out some 5 or 6 bucks - not a very expensive test. Now I'm trying to figure out what to do with this stuff - it certainly isn't a substitute, but it might make an interesting seasoning in its own right.

I'm amused by the nutritional info: OF COURSE there are "zero" (as in, less than 0.5)g of sugars and calories, when the entire packet's contents weight 0.8g. The bottle makes the same claim, because 1 serving is defined as 0.7g.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

A "friend" of mine once thought he would do me a favor and instead of picking up limes and lemons, picked up some misting spray bottles of that lemon and lime type stuff above. Made a vodka soda taste like vodka furniture polish...absolutely delicious and fresh, if you are a maple table.

Here's a link

http://www.collinschicago.com/collinstm-flavor-sprays-lemon-twist-mist.html

Edited by Unpopular Poet (log)
  • Haha 1

Bombay is after all better gin ....

Stop.

To me, fake crabmeat/crabstick falls into the same category as your lemon slice. An artificial, synthetic, industrial, inferior imitation of the original.

Agree.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Any 'Irish cream' liqueur... that beige colour, like spackle. Blech.

Cheap, cruel, soul-destroying sweets that look pretty, but taste of nothing.

Salmon jerky.

Ostrich jerky, too... :cool: .

Tasty Travails - My Blog

A "friend" of mine once thought he would do me a favor and instead of picking up limes and lemons, picked up some misting spray bottles of that lemon and lime type stuff above. Made a vodka soda taste like vodka furniture polish...absolutely delicious and fresh, if you are a maple table.

Don't usually get LOLs on EG. Ha ha ha. Thanks!

Thanks for this excellent article. Really points out the nonsense at the heart of foodie-ism. As far as I'm concerned tasting good is all that counts. One can buy american cheese slices or jump through Modernist hoops to recreate it from scratch with artisinal badger milk...either way the same stuff.

The checkout clerks at a grocery store we visited recently were trying out a new flavor of potato chip, I think, or possibly tortilla chip. I don't know whether it was only a test-market or a fully-marketed product, but either way I think it qualifies for this thread: the flavor, if you can call it that, was chicken and waffles. With syrup flavor included.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

OK - when you want to try and make a Beefeater Rickey on a plane, and you ask if there is any lime and the flight attendant says yes and brings you this, run for the hills...

attachicon.gifLimes?_2.jpg

Because you know what? It's not anything like fresh lime, young lady.

I agree it is not the same as fresh but I like both the lime and lemon version of this product . I add it to water at work where it is easier to use than fresh.. I also use it on meat when grilling . I put it on chicken drums that I have scored deeply and also seasoned with salt and pepper, then squeeze fresh lemon juice over while grilling. also sprinkle it on pork side ribs with a greek herb seasoning mix and let it sit for a few hrs in the fridge. then grill them fairly fast , squeezing fresh lemon wedges over the ribs during cooking. I have done the same technique without the real lemon and it doesn't have the same level of citrus taste at the end with just the lemon juice.

It is definitely not the right flavour to use in mixed drinks though.. I love a rum and coke with lime and it just doesn't do the trick.

Edited by Ashen (log)
  • Like 1

"Why is the rum always gone?"

Captain Jack Sparrow

Any 'Irish cream' liqueur... that beige colour, like spackle. Blech.

Cheap, cruel, soul-destroying sweets that look pretty, but taste of nothing.

Salmon jerky.

Ostrich jerky, too... :cool: .

Actually that is (or at least can be) really good! Salmon jerky has this weird tannic effect, and is just miserable.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org