• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Reheating Leftover Pizza

tommy

let's face it, everyone has the need to reheat pizza at least *once* in their lifetime. whether it's for son or daughter, a visiting relative, or for yourself, even though you wouldn't admit it, you will probably have to do it.

every method i've ever used has fallen short. in the old days, i remember wrapping the slice in tin foil and throwing it in the oven. then i progressed to throwing it under the broiler at the last minute. this always led to a horribly soggy crust, which just doesn't cut it.

more recently, i've put the slice on a cast iron grill pan in the oven, with better results. but it still takes a long time and doesn't always produce a good product.

i finally bought a pizza stone, which works great for making pizzas. i figured it would be great for reheating pizza as well. well, it's ok. again, it takes forever as you gotta heat that sucker up for some time.

just recently, i've seen/read about people throwing the slice in a pan, toppings side down, and then flipping it over to finish the crust side. skeptical, i tried this about 10 minutes ago. i can say that this one test has me convinced that *this* is the way to go. the whole thing is hot, and the crust is nice and crispy...probably crispier than it was 2 days ago when the pie was fresh.

any other ideas?

Heat it up? :unsure:

You mean EVERYONE doesn't just do the stand-there-head-in-the-fridge-eat-it-cold-from-the-box method?? :unsure::blink::biggrin:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Tommy:

Toaster oven. Its a confined space that generates a lot of heat, thus providing the proper environment for getting the cheese bubbly and the crust crusty again. Cut up the slices into miniature "pizza snacks", toss them onto the sheet pan that comes with the toaster oven, lined with aluminum foil and put it on 400 degrees.

Best results from Toaster Ovens with built in convection, like the Cuisinart we have.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

more recently, i've put the slice on a cast iron grill pan in the oven, with better results.  but it still takes a long time and doesn't always produce a good product.

A regular skillet is better because the full contact crisps the crust, and the trick is to get the pan moderately hot on the stovetop first, then place the slice in, then pop the whole package in the oven under the broiler to finish.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I can't eat cold pizza; it's just too icky.

I also use the toaster oven, but I don't have a fancy convection model. If the pizza is frozen, I'll leave it out for awhile, and defrost it in the microwave if necessary, but not too much - rubber crust is no good. Then into the toaster oven at 375 for 10-15 minutes; occasionally, I'll end up with melted cheese on top, but cold in the middle. Maybe 400 would be better; I'll have to try it.

We've got a pretty good pizza guy here in Waldoboro. He recommends 350F, but I've gotten into 325. Toaster oven. It depends on what you've got for toppings. If it's loaded, do it slower. The main thing, I think, is moisture control. If it's got wet stuff, maybe like Jason said, zap it at 400. But if it's got lots of stuff on it and you want to get everything hot, turn it down or the top stuff will be burned before the center stuff gets hot. IMHO.

Edit: Fg's got an idea worth trying. Just wouldn't have it too close to the broiler.

Edited by Nickn (log)

Heat it up?  :unsure:

You mean EVERYONE doesn't just do the stand-there-head-in-the-fridge-eat-it-cold-from-the-box method??   :unsure:  :blink:  :biggrin:

jaymes, i'm sorry, i should have named this thread "reheating pizza, what's your method (when you're not stoned)" :rolleyes:

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Wrapped in tinfoil in a sandwich press works for me. Same result as putting it in a pan, except the top and bottom get done at the same time, and the tinfoil minimises the cleaning up.

'You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer.'

- Frank Zappa

Niall, doesn't the tin foil stick to the cheese and toppings?

edit:

What of the Scottish method of dipping the top in batter and deep-frying it? :rolleyes:

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I'm with JP on the toaster oven approach, it's what I use for melting cheese on bread, vegieburgers, etc.

I find that the cheese drips though, leading to minor domestic disuptes. We may have a cheese melting only toaster oven and a no-cheese one after our remodel.

beachfan

beachfan, jason, and other proponents of the toaster oven...

while i'm sure it's a wonderful tool for melting cheese on bread and starting kitchen fires, i'm not convinced that it gets hot enough, or has the appropriate qualities (whatever they may be) that turn that soggy cold crust into a crispy one. now, i've never used one of these things, so i'm not speaking with any kind of authority really. but i do find it hard to believe.

Tommy, what kind of pizzas are you getting that end up with a soggy crust? And really, the toaster oven (mine's a Cuisinart) is the way to go. It's small and heats up fast.

Edit: I do bring it up to temp before putting in the pizza.

Edited by Nickn (log)

Tommy, what kind of pizzas are you getting that end up with a soggy crust? And really, the toaster oven (mine's a Cuisinart) is the way to go. It's small and heats up fast.

the same kind that others get apparently, as having the crust crisp up seems to be a widespread concern!

how many slices fit in a toaster oven?

[note: "and really, x is the way to go" is chapter 2 in the book "how to convince people that you're right" by plotz, and generally isn't accepted as very strong :wink: ]

Edited by tommy (log)

how many slices fit in a toaster oven?

[note:  "and really, x is the way to go" is chapter 2 in the book "how to convince people that you're right" by plotz, and generally isn't accepted as very strong  :wink: ]

I'd say two or three slices fit comfortably and it's all I want when reheating.

And I note with seriousness your note. I threw in the brand name because it does seem a little better than other toaster ovens I've known. But, it's not worth the ridiculous price they put on them. The pans warp when heated over 3-350F and they're a bitch to clean. Impossible would be a better word. But, it works good.

I threw in the brand name because it does seem a little better than other toaster ovens I've known. But, it's not worth the ridiculous price they put on them. The pans warp when heated over 3-350F and they're a bitch to clean. Impossible would be a better word. But, it works good.

i took a look at the cuisinart website and they are no doubt serious pieces of equipment. much more advanced than the crappy old one i had years back.

So, wha' aboot the dyp frrryin' then?

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I too am a proponent of the toaster oven method.  Mine's a DeLonghi, just like tommy's infamous deep fryer.  I blast the empty pan at 500 for five minutes, then lower it to 350 and put two slices in.

i'm betting your toaster oven sees more action than my deep fyer does!

[note:  "and really, x is the way to go" is chapter 2 in the book "how to convince people that you're right" by plotz, and generally isn't accepted as very strong  :wink: ]

Really, though, my cast-iron-skillet-and-broiler method is the way to go.

Think about how pizza, or any kind of hearth-baked bread, gets made in the first place: It's not just the ambient heated air that does the cooking -- a big part of it is the conduction of heat directly from the hearth into the crust. You simply can't reproduce that effect with a toaster oven unless you start modifying the product. The cast-iron skillet, however, is quite similar to the floor of a pizza oven. It crisps the crust instead of just making it hot. And then when you bring the broiler into play you provide heat from the top and the whole thing comes out very nice. Everybody I know who has tried this method has become a convert. You need to tweak it to your stovetop, oven, and pizza, but it works.

Really, it's the way to go.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

more recently, i've put the slice on a cast iron grill pan in the oven, with better results.  but it still takes a long time and doesn't always produce a good product.

A regular skillet is better because the full contact crisps the crust, and the trick is to get the pan moderately hot on the stovetop first, then place the slice in, then pop the whole package in the oven under the broiler to finish.

Did I teach you this trick? :rolleyes:

How do you know it? I thought only I knew it. My grandma in SF taught me this. They order Pizza once a month.. and can never finish it all. This is how she heats it up the next day for lunch.