• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2005

EdS

Inspired by pcarpen's post a while back I made a take on Mario Batali's 2 Minute Calamari - Sicilian Lifeguard Style, except I used shrimp instead of Calamari because I only really like Calamari if it is breaded and fried - and then barely.

Oh - I also misread the recipe and used 1 cup of uncooked Israeli Couscous (it cooked in the sauce) instead of 1 cup pre-cooked - so this was a little heavy on the couscous.

Interesting mix of savory, spicy and a little sweet.

gallery_7851_477_93717.jpg

Bill Russell

Smoked chicken and roasted red pepper risotto with a salad of butter lettuce, green radish in balsamic vinaigrette. Simple, easy and yummy.

Barbara Laidlaw aka "Jake"

Good friends help you move, real friends help you move bodies.

We had friends over for a casual dinner last night

Montmatre cocktails, crostini with fig jam & goat cheese, crostini with green tapanade and parm.

Potato leek soup with fried leeks on top

Whole roasted salmon with fennel and lemon

Balsmic glazed purple and orange carrots

Cheddar thyme rolls

Bethal Heights 2001 Pinot Noir (can't remember which Block!)

Apples sauteed in butter, sugar, cinnamon and Calvados over French vanilla ice cream

gallery_13038_837_35832.jpg

gallery_13038_837_132906.jpg

Duck breats again, only this time Thai style... "Crispy Kaffir Duck" on rice noodles with broccolini, and a curried broth followed an appetizer of Clear-Broth Soup with Ground Pork, Garlic, and Spinach.

Life is short; eat the cheese course first.

gallery_10753_1_63959.jpg

This is what I had for dinner. Broiled pork chops with a soy, honey, siracha sauce. Mixed stir fry vegetables on jasmine rice. Quick, easy & very good.

Everytime I look at this thread I get hungry. :smile:

Today is going to be one of those days.....

Dinner last night: enchiladas with salsa verde, beans and avocado salsa.

Dinner tonight will be jerk chicken, rice and red beans and coleslaw.

Visiting warm places via food. :smile:

Dinner tonight will be jerk chicken, rice and red beans and coleslaw.

I have jerk pork marinating at home to serve with red beans.

Great minds think alike! Hope it was delicious.

when johnnybird does get home he will be greeted....with a cocktail and me :biggrin:

dinner is to a stopping point - shrimp with minced garlic, udon noodles with green peas and a peanut sauce, cucumber and carrot salad

it's freakin' snowing again :angry: though not like tuesday :hmmm:

actually can't wait for the weekend. john will be up in po-town for a visit and concert. i get to cook lamb :cool: the lamb curry i will share with my dangerous dining partner, 'chelle and i picked up ground lamb to explore with a mix of nigella's and monica bhide's recipe for kheeme (sorry suvir - it isn't grilling season in this nw nj household - otherwise it would be lamb burgers!!!!!!!!!!). i'm thinking of doing this with a gratin of dried mushrooms and potatoes in some sort of a bechemel (with approriate amounts of freshly ground nutmeg, of course)

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Off for S.C. vacation tomorrow, if I ever manage to email this paper by its midnight deadline!!!

Took a break to make whole wheat cavatappi in butternut squash sauce, toppped with ricotta salata.

Also made chocolate stuffed figs, as I anticpate computer-screen snacking for the rest of the evening.

We had friends over for a casual dinner last night

Montmatre cocktails, crostini with fig jam & goat cheese, crostini with green tapanade and parm.

Potato leek soup with fried leeks on top

Whole roasted salmon with fennel and lemon

Balsmic glazed purple and orange carrots

Cheddar thyme rolls

Bethal Heights 2001 Pinot Noir (can't remember which Block!)

Apples sauteed in butter, sugar, cinnamon and Calvados over French vanilla ice cream

This is one of the things that I love about eGullet: Wendy calls this a "casual dinner"! You go!

After a crazy week (four 12-hour days, meetings every evening, Andrea starting contractions in her 38th week of pregnancy), I finally got a chance to cook tonight, and I made an old stand-by: scallops coated with kosher salt and cracked white pepper cooked in scaldingly hot brown butter over very high heat until brown, placed on mesclun, minced shallots and the fond cooked up with a bit of lemon sprinkled on the scallops, squeeze of lemon, spash of EVOO, bread, cheap chardonnay (Yellow Tail -- gift from a guest), baguette.

Heaven in fifteen minutes tops.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Our dinner was classic French... very good, but a lot of work (and I used just about every saucepan in the house):

To start, a silky smooth Cream of Asparagus Soup garnished with the asparagus spears and shrimp (the recipe called for crabmeat, but my market didn't have any fresh crab).

Followed by Oeufs en Meurette, a classic dish from Burgundy: Poached eggs on toast topped with a rich red wine sauce and sprinkled with crisp bacon, mushrooms, leeks, and carrots.

gallery_27586_1_285049.jpg

Dessert was not quite French, but Tiramisu that my husband bought.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Our dinner was classic French... very good, but a lot of work (and I used just about every saucepan in the house):

To start, a silky smooth Cream of Asparagus Soup garnished with the asparagus spears and shrimp (the recipe called for crabmeat, but my market didn't have any fresh crab).

Followed by Oeufs en Meurette, a classic dish from Burgundy:  Poached eggs on toast topped with a rich red wine sauce and sprinkled with crisp bacon, mushrooms, leeks, and carrots.

gallery_27586_1_285049.jpg

Dessert was not quite French, but Tiramisu that my husband bought.

Mmmmm... that looks good Suzy! I made that dish one year on Beaujolais Nouveau release weekend in November, to go with the Nouveau. We loved it. Yours looks wonderful!

Yesterday we started with bruschetta, to finish the last of the ciabatta, then had a whole red snapper baked over sliced onions and thyme branches, along with new potatoes, garlic, and tomato. Nice and easy one-pan meal, healthy too. Cheap and cheerful (don't remember brand?) pinot gris with.

Today I baked two more loaves of ciabatta, and for dinner we pretended it was spring with fresh papardelle, (fresh!) lima beans, prosciutto, mint and cream. Also bought a bunch of tulips, damnit. Cheap and cheerful Smoking Loon Viognier.

Great colombian 70% chocolate after both meals, along with espresso.

Yesterday we started with bruschetta, to finish the last of the ciabatta, then had a whole red snapper baked over sliced onions and thyme branches, along with new potatoes, garlic, and tomato. Nice and easy one-pan meal, healthy too. Cheap and cheerful (don't remember brand?) pinot gris with.

Today I baked two more loaves of ciabatta, and for dinner we pretended it was spring with fresh papardelle, (fresh!) lima beans, prosciutto, mint and cream. Also bought a bunch of tulips, damnit. Cheap and cheerful Smoking Loon Viognier.

Great colombian 70% chocolate after both meals, along with espresso.

Both meals sound way good... That's my kind of food. If I can talk my husband into baking it, I'll ask you for your ciabatta recipe!

We have been so busy this week, I can't remember most of the meals. Russ cooked last night: "his" chicken thighs by my request, great big potatoes rubbed with peanut oil and coarse salt and oven baked, and Brussels sprouts.

Tonight I made a first course of carpaccio (his request), and then an olive and tomato salsa (also his request) to go with the skewered shrimp and vegetables that he grilled. Wine tonight was a Cline Zinfandel. No photos last night, and tonight the picture of the main course was too terrible to show. The carpaccio was presentable. Still to come, once again, beautiful Plant City Strawberries, with balsamic vinegar and pine nuts over vanilla ice cream.

gallery_13038_837_43585.jpg

Both meals sound way good... That's my kind of food.  If I can talk my husband into baking it, I'll ask you for your ciabatta recipe!

Thanks Susan. I bet those nasturtiums taste great with the carpaccio. Until our farmer's market starts up again, I will have to make do with watercress.

As for the ciabatta, I use Peter Reinhardt's method from Bread Baker's Apprentice. I would very enthusiastically recommend that book to anyone even remotely interested in bread baking. I went from "I just want a good pizza crust recipe" to obsessive weekly baker as a result of that book. (I would be an at-least-twice-weekly baker if it weren't for my schedule. :smile: )

Continuing with French week, our dinner was a crepe fest.

The main course, crepes filled with ham and cheese and topped with the rest of the Meurette sauce I made the other day:

gallery_27586_1_117002.jpg

For dessert, crepes (one per person) filled with mint chocolate chip ice cream and drizzled with chocolate sauce:

gallery_27586_1_144268.jpg

Not only did my husband and I enjoy the dinner, but my normally picky 8 year old and her friend ate every bite! (The dog enjoyed the first "test" crepe, too.)

SuzySushi

My husband, who does not really like to eat meat, was out of town...So I bought a big ol' Angus porterhouse and pan-grilled it in garlic butter and ate every bite and sucked on the bones! It was fantasticly juicy and rich! :biggrin:

Perfectly grilled rare to med. rare rib steak (the SO's contribution - omg, can that man grill!) fingerling potatos cooked in duck fat and french gr. beans with hollandaise. Yeah, a real lo-cal Sunday here.....but really yummy! :wub: Accompanied by a Chilean Cab. that was bought as a "good value" rec that we really enjoyed - Perez Cruz Reserva 2003.

Continuing with France, tonight's dinner was homemade Pate de Campagne (country-style pate) -- I wish I could figure out how to type the accents! -- made of pork and chicken livers flavored with Cognac. Making it was a two-day process, but it's no more difficult than meatloaf.

I served it with fingerling potato salad dressed with mayonnaise and a little umeboshi (Japanese pickled plum) paste -- thank you, Torakris, for reporting on the restaurant in Japan that does this!, baby romaine lettuce from the new Saturday greenmarket near me (YAY!), and the requisite cornichons.

The pate disappointed me a little; it had a stronger liver flavor than I expected, but my husband liked it just fine.

gallery_27586_1_33013.jpg

SuzySushi

gallery_13038_837_62210.jpg

gallery_13038_837_38563.jpg

gallery_13038_837_61553.jpg

We started with a vodka and tonic last night, and then had dinner at sunset of grilled hamburgers and hotdogs, salad, and for dessert gingered mango and blueberries.