• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

french onion soup with roasted garlic croutons

baby green salad

more dry sack sherry to match the sherry that went into the soup

trying out french vanilla pudding recipes for a friends 50th birthday party - with mandarin orange slices - just like she had to endure at camp :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Macaroni and cheese, made with extra sharp aged cheddar

heather -

hope you did better than i did on friday night. lost a tooth off my denture on a crusty mac and cheese :hmmm:

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

Crostini with grilled sardines and lemon.

Chickpea vichysoise with a few thin sections of butter-poached lobster tail.

Shepherd's pie:

Leftover braised beef, pulled apart, with reduced sauce. Sauteed sliced cremini, reconstituted porcini, red onions. Packed in layers. Topped with Yukon gold mashers made with Dijon and buttermilk. Topped with panko. 50 minutes at 400 F.

Tomato water with daikon sprouts.

Wedges of camembert with walnuts wrapped in filo.

5 courses, 23 people.

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

Macaroni and cheese, made with extra sharp aged cheddar

heather -

hope you did better than i did on friday night. lost a tooth off my denture on a crusty mac and cheese :hmmm:

Yikes! Ours wasn't that crusty. We had the leftovers for lunch. Still tasty, but the microwave takes all the crustiness away.

Sunday dinner - we're all sick now, so didn't feel like cooking much

Crispy panko-breaded sauteed chicken breasts

Bittman's pasta with gorgonzola and spinach, with a few differences. I sauteed shallots in butter until brown, added the spinach and cheese, then dumped the hot spaghettini on it. We were underwhelmed by this and may not try it again. It needed something else.

Water, water, and more water

Extra vitamin C

Small piece of bittersweet chocolate for dessert

Hot tea

Heather Johnson

In Good Thyme

[Yikes!  Ours wasn't that crusty.  We had the leftovers for lunch.  Still tasty, but the microwave takes all the crustiness away.

Sunday dinner - we're all sick now, so didn't feel like cooking much

Hot tea

yeah,the microwave does do that.

chicken soup with garlic and hot tea with honey and lemon.

so sorry you all are sick. it's hard being the mom!! wish i could be there to help.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

A Sunday dinner with ingredients left over from yesterday's trip to the farmer's market and subsequent Heartland Gathering eating and drinking extravaganza:

Soup made with butternut squash, leeks, carrot, apples, chicken stock, and Indian spices (50-50 garam masala and curry powder, both from Penzey's) -- puréed and poured hot over chopped fresh spinach and leftover chicken thigh meat.

Pears baked in butter and balsamic vinegar, served with goat cheese and topped with honey and black pepper (an epicurious recipe).

Concannon Viognier.

"There is no sincerer love than the love of food."  -George Bernard Shaw, Man and Superman, Act 1

"Imagine all the food you have eaten in your life and consider that you are simply some of that food, rearranged."  -Max Tegmark, physicist

Gene Weingarten, writing in the Washington Post about online news stories and the accompanying readers' comments: "I basically like 'comments,' though they can seem a little jarring: spit-flecked rants that are appended to a product that at least tries for a measure of objectivity and dignity. It's as though when you order a sirloin steak, it comes with a side of maggots."

"...in the mid-’90s when the internet was coming...there was a tendency to assume that when all the world’s knowledge comes online, everyone will flock to it. It turns out that if you give everyone access to the Library of Congress, what they do is watch videos on TikTok."  -Neil Stephenson, author, in The Atlantic

"In questions of science, the authority of a thousand is not worth the humble reasoning of a single individual." -Galileo Galilei, physicist and astronomer

Spaghetti with homemade tomato sauce.

Just really good olive oil, chopped garlic and roma tomatoes topped with basil and parmasean. Everything organic except the pasta and cheese which were from Italy. Can't believe that this is the last week for tomatoes at my farmer's market. Eight more months until I can make it again. Trying to savor every last bite. So sad.

Saturday night

London Broil, broiled in an Aisan Marinade perfectly rare :smile:

Noodles tossed with a rice vinegar - soy dressing with mint and scallions

Green beans tossed with sesame oil and sea salt

Sunday lunch - hosted 4 adults and 3 kids for a Simchat Torah lunch

An amuse of thinly sliced pastrami salmon on pumpernickle

Salad of baby greens, dried cranberries and toasted almonds with honey-balsamic vinagrette

Black Bean Chili

Chicken-Pastrami roll-ups

Savory Pumpkin Pie

Dilled Potato Salad

Choice of sorbets - Banana and Strawberry Balsamic

Flourless Chocolate cake

Pineapple

"Some people see a sheet of seaweed and want to be wrapped in it. I want to see it around a piece of fish."-- William Grimes

"People are bastard-coated bastards, with bastard filling." - Dr. Cox on Scrubs

In a riff on my favorite bahn mi, Friday used salt-grilled sanma, saury pike in sandwiches. Perfect French rolls from the Vietnamese baker, a little mayonnaise mixed with Thai-chile-infused fish sauce, loads of thinly-sliced white onion and jalapeno, very good.

Saturday pizza, one quattro stagione, thinly sliced tomatoes (the penultimate from my Roma vine), thinly sliced Cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced Proscuitto de Parma, pretty thinly sliced artichoke hearts, whole milk mozz. The other was to be shrimp & pesto, (my neighbor still has a nice stand of basil), but when the non-union Bristol Farms fish department had what they were calling diver-harvested Baja bay scallops, it became scallop & pesto. Cooked the scallops a bit over the mesquite fire before they went on the pesto bed. Incredible blast of delicious scallop flavor. Again with the mozz. Very good.

Sunday nice roast duck. Braised red cabbage with a little onion and an apple from my tree, a little cream at the end. Rosti potato pancake, which I flipped three times without incident, which may constitute a sign but a sign of what I do not know. Green tomato chutney I made this time LAST year, good with the duck. More Frenchy French bread. Pink French wine. German mineral water.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Oven-poached salmon (for lack of a better term) topped with dill and thinly sliced Vidalia onions with white wine

Fresh green beans simmered with fat back

Roasted garlic mashed potatoes

Gordon Biersch Märzen beer while cooking :smile:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Eating habits have been all over the place lately.

Thursday:

kimichi fried rice

miso shiru with tofu and lotus root

Friday:

toasted cheese sandwich on sourdough with dijon mustard

roasted sweet potatoes with curry mayo

Saturday:

scoop of vanilla ice cream rolled in brown sugar, cinnamon, and slivered almonds

harpoon ipa

late at night: a few bites of warm soba noodles in broth

Sunday:

penne with really simple tomato sauce - just garlic, tomatoes, some basil, s&p, evoo

roasted cauliflower, roasted potatoes

boring green salad

A HUGE chicken, marinated in Cornell marinade - anyone tried this? - roasted/rotisseried in the Set It and Forget It, gravy

Roasted baby Yukon golds and kalamatas with Tuscan herb salt

Fried green tomatoes with chipotle mayo

Made a quick stock from the chicken bones and simmered it all night

Tonight: Muffaletta! Or leftover chicken... :hmmm:

I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Monday dinner:

LAAB! :biggrin: scooped up with iceberg lettuce leaves (HSSS version)

Kabocha, lemongrass and coconut milk soup (Deborah Madison)

stirfried potatoes with nira (garlic chives) and chiles (also HSSS)

Jasmine rice

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

What about you did you poach/boil?  A bagel guy told me once that a bagel is always poached/boiled, while what makes a bialy a bialy is it's NOT having been boiled.  And here's me thinking it was the onions and poppy seeds what makes a bialy a bialy.

I boiled them.

I have also learned that this is the difference between a bagel and a bialy--and of course, the make-up.

Noise is music. All else is food.

Priscilla, you've created a monster. :raz: 150+ pages and growing, like an Energizer bunny on steroids...

Been on a Filipino comfort food binge lately, when not working late:

Thursday (last week): Adobo rellenong (chicken adobo), steamed rice, stir-fried broccoli with tofu, garlic and tree ear mushrooms. Iced green tea with honey. Bananas.

Friday: Pancit with shrimp, dried scallops and vegetables (pancit is a noodle dish that uses rice noodles, beef, chicken or more commonly, pork, some seafood and lots of veggies. I used dried scallops which I got from Chinatown, and minced shrimp in this version). Steamed tofu with orange blossom honey, for dessert -- this is a very simple dessert -- basically steam a block of tofu in a bamboo steamer, a double boiler, or a bowl inside a covered wok, top with honey that's been heated through, with a little crystallized ginger mixed in. Blueberry oolong tea.

Saturday: Leftover adobo. Brown rice. Pakbet (talong (eggplant) stewed with okra, bitter melon, tomatoes and onions). Baguoong (shrimp) paste with garlic, fried until crumbly. Pellegrino. Pumpkin flan (while preparing the custard, mix in some pureed pumpkin).

Sunday: Leftover pancit. Talong omelette. Banana ketchup. Pellegrino. Eight treasure rice pudding (which I had gotten from China Fun) for dessert.

Soba

A grilled cheese sammich and a carrot or two.

My housemate and I are making a fresh fruit tart. She wanted me to show her how to make creme patisserie and pate sucree. There was extra sucree left, so we made cookies and decorated with some colored sugar I had in the cabinet. Fun!

laurel, that's the best-looking camping meal I've ever seen. And to get that you just added boiling water to a powdered packet, right? I'm going to try your brand the next time I hike!

Seriously, that looks fantastic. Did you really make that out in the woods, or were you camping in your back yard?

Monday night in my house:

porcini mushroom risotto; and

eggplant slices, marinated in lemon juice and EVOO, roasted and wrapped around tomato slices that had been dunked in EVOO, dredged in parsley, basil and garlic, and also roasted.

And I'm about to have some of the Bourbon Pecan Pie (Courtesy Jaymes) that I made yesterday. Yum, bourbon.

"I don't mean to brag, I don't mean to boast;

but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast!"

Laurel,

Curry Pumpkin soup recipe, Pleeeeeeeeaaaaaasssssse.  :smile:

It was kind of improvisational... First I coated chunks of pumpkin in an olive-oil spice paste (mostly turmeric, cumin, and coriander), and baked it in the oven until it was soft. Then, sauteed some onions in olive oil, peeled and dumped in the pumpkin chunks, and pureed it with water until it was "soupy". It was pretty mild, so next time I would probably use stock instead of water, and use a little more spices.

laurel, that's the best-looking camping meal I've ever seen.  And to get that you just added boiling water to a powdered packet, right?  I'm going to try your brand the next time I hike!

Seriously, that looks fantastic.  Did you really make that out in the woods, or were you camping in your back yard?

We were car camping, and had a two burner coleman stove and two pans to cook things in (which is not much less well equipped than in my kitchen at home...). We'd gone shopping right before leaving the city, and Mt Rainier is only about 3 hours away, so it was pretty much in the back yard.