• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dinner! 2003

FoodMan

Nice, Jason.

Dai-izumi (red tilapia) sashimi with lemon zest and ponzu dipping sauce.

Pieces of grilled cubed salmon in salmon skin temakki (cones) with gohan (Japanese rice) and minced ginger.

Sliced roasted king eryingi mushrooms in a mushroom dashi broth.

Fried gyoza (dumplings) stuffed with lamb, mint, sorrel with a light mustard dipping sauce.

Soba-maki (like sushi rolls but with soba noodles) with takuan.

Gai lan (Chinese broccoli) sauteed with fermented tofu.

Small. thin pancakes wrapped around chopped egg and garlic chives with fresh wasabi mayonaisse (egg salad sandwiches).

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

:hmmm: this was the closes tI could get to a smirk! :biggrin:

Wher did that eryingi discussion go?

Kristin Wagner, aka "torakris"

Jason, I wanted to dive right into my screen. :unsure:

Our main last night was kind of forgettable: chicken "tikka masala" with some okra added. Served with basmati and salad and numerous bottled chutneys.

BUT: I started experimenting with something that might work out -- ricotta, drained; formed into balls about 1" in diameter; breaded a l'anglaise in chickpea flour+garam masala+crumbled dried methi leaves, then egg white, then panko; deep fried. I should have seasoned the cheese first -- too too bland. But the balls mostly held together (the ones that erupted were a bit obscene :raz: ) and the crust on them was great.

:hmmm: this was the closes tI could get to a smirk! :biggrin:

Wher did that eryingi discussion go?

Kristin, I've said that eryingi don't have much flavour. They are a variety of oyster mushroom. But they have a great texture. The flavour was helped along by a dashi with much huagu soaking liquor.

edit:

pixelchef, as noted elsewhere, this is a professional kitchen and I have a staff of two to three. So no problem.

Here are two pictures of parts of the kitchen:

kitchen1.jpg

and

kitchen2.jpg

Edited by Jinmyo (log)

"I've caught you Richardson, stuffing spit-backs in your vile maw. 'Let tomorrow's omelets go empty,' is that your fucking attitude?" -E. B. Farnum

"Behold, I teach you the ubermunch. The ubermunch is the meaning of the earth. Let your will say: the ubermunch shall be the meaning of the earth!" -Fritzy N.

"It's okay to like celery more than yogurt, but it's not okay to think that batter is yogurt."

Serving fine and fresh gratuitous comments since Oct 5 2001, 09:53 PM

I haven't been cooking lately, just eating out a lot.

Last night I didn't have much choice actually. I attended a mock trial seminar at Columbia Law School here in New York City, along with a few other people from work.

Dinner was pizza and Coke. They didn't even have enough paper plates and napkins. :angry: At least the pizza was passable. Nowhere near those propagated at Otto.

Soba

Assorted bruschetta: caramelized red onions, seared red peppers, cremini mushrooms with tarragon, sundried tomatoes with anchovy, young parsleyed zucchini, olives, capers

Asparagus risotto, a la Cesare Lanfanconi

White beans slow-cooked with garlic and sage

Monday night I cooked duck breasts. I marinated them in tamarind, achiote, garlic, and chiles, then seared them, roasted them, and served them overdone (dammit -- I was away just a minute to answer the phone!). With asparagus, smashed red potatoes, and a spinach salad. It was a good, quick meal that would've been better if the duck had been rare.

Last night was "chicken kadai," my attempt to recreate a dish made at the Indian restaurant up the street. As a recreation it stank, but as a meal it was good, though mouth-numbingly hot. Served with basmati rice, cucumber raita, and zucchinni smothered with shallots and scallion greens. Sliced mango for dessert.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Last evening steak frites. Certified Angus New York strips, large-scale frites. Tomato, onion, Hass avocado salad, these early tomatoes ain't been half bad. Mayonnaise as each individual saw fit. Wild Horse 2000 Barbera, packed a punch, in a good way.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

Weds dinner:

unagi kabayaki (eel grilled with a soy based sauce)

mizuna and crab style tsurumi fish cakes salad with cucumbers and myoga (ginger buds?) tossed with a sesame dressing

simmered kabocha (http://recipes.egullet.com/recipes/r339.html )

dessert:

more ice cream

Edited by torakris (log)

grilled portobello mushrooms with garlic and rosemary oil

white beans with lots of sage and garlic

scallions wrapped in foil with butter and olive oil, some shoyu, some lemon juice, stuck in the oven

mango slices for dessert

Thursday dinner:

fusilli with fresh tomato sauce, basil, and parmasean

dessert:

marbled not quite a cheesecake not quite a flourless cake, forget the actual name from a Fine Cooking magazine.

Sauteed chicken breasts, quick pan sauce

Green beans and roasted Bliss potatoes tossed with EVOO, shallots, garlic, lemon zest and fresh thyme

Fat Bastard chardonnay

Noise is music. All else is food.

Red-curried duck for us last night. Curried the legs proper (in a sort of ad hoc Thai-meets-Indian curry that purists would do best not to ask about) and served them over jasmine rice. Marinated the breasts in a bit more of the curry paste, then seared them and served slices of the rare breast meat next to the legs. Topped it all with lots of chopped cilantro.

Served with perfectly steamed green beans and a few bottles of the Dominion Brewery's Spring Brew.

A jumped-up pantry boy who never knew his place.

Surprisingly nice little T-bone lamb chops. Pan deglazed with red wine, reduced, mustard, s & p, butter to finish. Creamed spinach. Garlic mashed potatoes with a lot of chives in there. LBB baguette. Cotes du Rhone.

Priscilla

Writer, cook, & c. ●  Twitter

I'm embarassed to admit that the one time I actually cooked this week was just for my bro and I on Wednesday night; New York strips grilled to medium-rare for him and considerably less for me, with two-temperature oven fries (from the Achewood cookbook. Target audience: people who eat Frito dip from the can with their index fingers, and shop in stores where you're lucky if they have carrots and change for a twenty. Link might not be safe for work due to language, but I reckon if you're here, you could probably get away with being there).

Otherwise, it was something dead simple before, at or after the golf course - ramen with onion, bell peppers, sesame oil and oyster sauce was about as crazy as it got.

Ah, well. Have to whip something decent up Sunday...maybe a big pot of gumbo :)

Todd McGillivray

"I still throw a few back, talk a little smack, when I'm feelin' bulletproof..."