• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

15 pounds of cooked spaghetti...

Emily_R

My husband volunteers at his church, where they put on monthly community dinners. Tonight was spaghetti and meatballs. They were worried they wouldn't have enough spaghetti, and made extra... Resulting in about 15 pounds of cooked spaghetti left over! They were going to throw it out, and my husband said he'd take it home to feed our chickens... But I'd love to use as much of it as possible in casserole type things I can freeze, both to eat ourselves and to give as gifts to new moms / people going through illnesses, etc...

So, suggestions? What should I do with this gargantuan amount of cooked spaghetti?! :-)

Thanks,

Emily

Do you have Deborah Madison's "Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone"? She has a recipe for fried spaghetti that is almost like a fritata.

You could make pasta salad. Cut it up and use it for noodles in soup. Use it like lo mein noodles. Weigh it out in batches and just freeze it until someone has a great idea. Throw a spaghetti dinner for the neighbors?

Honestly, now that it's cooked, I would batch it out and feeze it. Unless you can use that much pasta right away or in the next few days, short of freezing, I say let the chickens have some of it.

For freezing plain -- do I need to oil it? Or can I just put it in freezer bags as-is?

And I've heard mixed things about whether frittatas freeze or not -- some places I've read they'll freeze just fine... Does anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

Emily

For freezing plain -- do I need to oil it? Or can I just put it in freezer bags as-is?

No oil - just loosen it with a bit of water so you can work with it and portion out.

Spaghetti Carbonara comes to mind. Lots of it, I guess. :laugh:

There's always, thanks to the TV show "iCarly", the popular-amongst-kids Spaghetti Tacos. :blink:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Thanks all... Toliver, I just made essentially a spaghetti carbonara fritatta... Fried up some pancetta, added the pasta to coat with oil, poured in a mix of beaten eggs, romano cheese, and milk, and cooked until it was a solid pancake. Pretty tasty -- made a decent lunch. Could have used a little more salt / flavor - I wish I'd remembered that I had fresh sage in the house!

Cold Sesame / Peanut Noodle salad - with some grilled chicken and julienne vegetables

Baked spaghetti casseroles for the frozen dinners you mentioned - with chicken and/or Italian sausage, sauce and cheese - kind of like lasagna, but with spaghetti.

Mac & Cheese with spaghetti

You've probably already dealt with it but, for future spaghetti overload situations, you can easily mix it with tomato sauce and layer with cheese, meat, whatnot, sprinkle with shredded mozzarella and freeze in foil pans as a bake-able casserole. If you really don't want to have that much spaghetti casserole in your freezer, make this up in large foil roasting pans and take to a local soup kitchen. I know for a fact that the place where I volunteer would welcome such an offering with open arms. We make stuff like that occasionally and it goes over like gangbusters.