• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Plan is to cook ( bake ) a 5 pound beef tenderloin at 225 degrees - Target 130 - trying to time with guest arrivals

Ronniebisme

I am thinking 2 hours - searched the web but nothing conclusive.  I will have a thermometer inserted and will watch , but looking for a ballpark time 

Hoping someone here has the answer.

disclaimer - I have looked at various ways to cook a beef tenderloin , I understand the high heat  VS low heat, as well as Sous Vide , I have a big group , coming , and high heat seems too risky , want to end up at  medium rare 

Thanks in advance 

Sous vide is the easiest solution. Can you do it?

Even a hot water-filled cooler will work., You don't even need a circulator.  Just touch up the water occasionally.

2 hours seems plenty assuming the usual tenderloin shape

There are so many variables that contribute to an answer here that I am tempted -- as  I'm sure many here are -- to encourage you not to try a new recipe (or technique) for company. However, that advice did not always stop me. So I will say this:

1. I assume by the weight you're talking about, that this is a whole tenderloin and not the prettier--and more manageable -- chateaubriand: a piece out of the heart of the tenderloin that can serve, depending on size, 2 to 6 people.
  2. If this is the case, be dure to tie the roast into a uniform shape, especially tucking the thin tail under the less thin, but still tapered, end.
  3. Figure that -- again with the variables -- that at 225°F, the roast will take from 2 to 3 hours. You won't know until you've done it a couple of times.
  4. Salt early for best flavor.
  5. If it only takes 2 hours, reverse sear (and a good, hot sauce) will save you (as will, in combination), early salting.
  6. Forget a long rest -- slow cooking obviates the need -- but use brown butter to finish it.

Good luck.

• Like 3

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

great info and very kind to help me out.   Sous vide is out for this event , although I love to cook that way , my equipment wont handle this cut

Yes a whole tenderloin, Ill tuck and string the piece, and will time at 2.5 hours   I have a MEATER probe so I will watch carefully .  As I  understand and the main reason I am going this low temp route is the carry over from cooking is only 2-4 degrees and easier to control  We shall see !!

I will let you know the results  Thanks again 

here is the result - 2 hrs 15 min , removed from oven at 128 - went to 130-131, quick sear in a big cast iron skillet with browned butter - , minor rise in temp but came out perfectly , timing worked out as well.  No complaints from the guests !  Only thing I would change the next time is the open time in the fridge, I went with 48 hrs , I think 24 or less would be fine , areas of the beef had a tougher than I like crust by the time I seared and served 

Thanks all for your help

IMG_7121.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Delicious 7

That looks wonderful, @Ronniebisme! I wouldn't complain if served that. In fact, if somebody else were to complain I'd demand they do the cleanup and forgo any leftovers!

Thanks for reporting back.

• Like 3

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown