• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

FIFO in the kitchen

Fat Guy

FIFO (First In, First Out) as opposed to FILO (First In, Last Out) seems the inevitable system of usage when you keep plates in a stack in the cabinet. We have a stack of 12 plates. I'm not sure we've ever used the bottom one.

Has anybody come up with a good way to defeat this arrangement?

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

The two-stack solution requires either cabinet space to burn or one of those risers that divides the stack. That might help but is not something that can just be implemented by change in procedure.

When I was putting my plates away today, which is what caused me to think about this issue, I realized it would be a real pain to put plates on the bottom of the stack. They are heavy earthenware plates so it's definitely not a one-step job -- it would require either two people or removal of the whole stack and shuffling on the countertop.

Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

My concern is potential uneven wear over the course of hundreds of uses and trips through the dishwasher.

I have a wire rack that allows four plate stacks where otherwise there'd be one great big one. It's a mixture of large & smaller plates and bowls, I keep them at most four to a stack, and I do put the washed ones in at the bottom of each stack.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Do you have a link to an example of that product?

My concern is potential uneven wear over the course of hundreds of uses and trips through the dishwasher.

I'm slightly concerned about that too, even though I don't use a dishwasher, so I just haul the stack of dishes out of the closet, put the just-dried ones at the bottom, and put the others back on top. Sort of a drag, but in the general scheme of things, not a huge deal.

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

FIFO (First In, First Out) as opposed to FILO (First In, Last Out) seems the inevitable system of usage when you keep plates in a stack in the cabinet. We have a stack of 12 plates. I'm not sure we've ever used the bottom one. ...

No your single stack is not FIFO.

The first plate into the stack (on the bottom) is the last one out, not the first.

Your last plate in, on the top of the pile, is the first one out.

Hence your stack is LIFO (last in, first out), the exact opposite of FIFO!

FIFO is what you would like to be happening, and it isn't!

I saw an advert for a squeezy sauce bottle that promised FIFO instead of LIFO. Using the sauce in rotation, rather than letting some go very old in the bottom of the bottle is more critical than with the plates.

The FIFO bottle (using the oldest, first-in, sauce first, rather than the newest, last-in) has a nozzle on one end and a filler cap at the other end.

http://www.nisbets.co.uk/products/productdetail.asp?productCode=CF949

Regarding the plates, I'd suggest, just occasionally, taking approximately the bottom half of the stack out of the cupboard just before you empty the dishwasher (when the stack is small and light), and put the old bottom ones back on the top of the pile after you've stacked the newly washed ones. Do it at random occasions, moving a variable number of plates, and you should randomise the stack order, thereby evening out the usage.

Edited by dougal (log)

"If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch ... you must first invent the universe." - Carl Sagan

I rotate my dishes by taking the clean plates out of the cabinet, put the clean ones in, and then place the others on top..

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

FIFO (First In, First Out) as opposed to FILO (First In, Last Out) seems the inevitable system of usage when you keep plates in a stack in the cabinet. We have a stack of 12 plates. I'm not sure we've ever used the bottom one. ...

No your single stack is not FIFO.

The first plate into the stack (on the bottom) is the last one out, not the first.

Your last plate in, on the top of the pile, is the first one out.

Hence your stack is LIFO (last in, first out), the exact opposite of FIFO!

FIFO is what you would like to be happening, and it isn't!

You must be an old accountant or an inventory clerk...I should have noticed that, but didn't!

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

FIFO (First In, First Out) as opposed to FILO (First In, Last Out) seems the inevitable system of usage when you keep plates in a stack in the cabinet. We have a stack of 12 plates. I'm not sure we've ever used the bottom one.

Has anybody come up with a good way to defeat this arrangement?

How about stacking plates vertically? I've seen some kitchen designs where they have vertical slotted spaces for the plates. I think it was a Martha-type thing. Not very efficient use of space, though.

Of course, this means redesigning the kitchen you just finished redesigning. :blink::laugh:

Or perhaps someone sells slotted racks that can fit in cupbards. Not sure...

edited to add: Here's a link to a picture on a web page that shows the vertical slots: click

Edited by Toliver (log)

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I don't follow.

The stack is already there.

If I have one plate in the dishwasher and I unload it and place it on the top of the stack, that's essentially first in.

If I then go to the cabinet to get a plate and take that plate off the top of the stack, that's first out.

If I'm working with two plates, or three which is the norm in my home, I don't really know which one has priority, but overall I'm still only getting three plates deep into the stack of 12. The bottom plate is not affected.

But the stack is preexisting. It came out of the box as a stack. It lives in the cupboard as a stack. The behavior being analyzed is the behavior of taking plates off the stack and putting them back on.

But that does not accurately describe what happens in my kitchen.

What it DOES describe, however, is the definition of FILO (and by extension FIFO). If you are adding and removing arbitrary numbers of plates in arbitrary order you are neither FIFO nor FILO. And the fact of the matter is that it DOES describe what happens in your kitchen: you have a plate on the bottom of the stack that is never being withdrawn. The reason it is never being withdrawn is that it was the first one in (put at the bottom of the stack by some plate factory packer or whoever). It was first in, it will be the last out.

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

I can buy that this is something other than FILO or FIFO. However I just spoke to the plate-factory packer, a Mr. Chang in Shinzen, China, who informed me that he remembers my plates and that, as is his signature, he built the stack upside-down, then flipped the whole thing over for packing. I then reviewed the security-video footage of the storage room in the Bronx where the plates spent approximately a year. The order was not altered.