• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Decent, inexpensive pots and pans

DanM

I'm thinking that I'm going to buy new pots and pans next year for Passover to replace my tired old meat set. They do not need to be a fancy set, just something that will get me through a week. I'm contemplating a 10" cast iron pan (easy choice, IMHO), but I will also like a small sautee pan, a 1-2qt pot, a 4-6qt pot and a large stock pot. I'm trying to keep my budget around $150, but willing to go up to $200 if the pots are worth it.

Dan

"Salt is born of the purest of parents: the sun and the sea." --Pythagoras.

If you're near a factory outlet store, look for a set of copper-bottomed stainless Revere ware. I bought a set a few years back with a 1 1/2 qt and 2 1/2 qt saucepan, 6 1/2 qt Dutch oven/stock pot, and 10-inch saute pan for, I think, $110. They're heavy enough to be serviceable, and have lasted well.

Don't ask. Eat it.

www.kayatthekeyboard.wordpress.com

I'm a fan of MagnaLite. It's ugly, workhorse aluminum cookware, but I have a few pieces that have been going strong since college. Not pretty, but sturdy, thick-walled, and affordable.

If its aluminum it ought to be called nonMagnaLite.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I'm thinking that I'm going to buy new pots and pans next year for Passover to replace my tired old meat set. They do not need to be a fancy set, just something that will get me through a week. I'm contemplating a 10" cast iron pan (easy choice, IMHO), but I will also like a small sautee pan, a 1-2qt pot, a 4-6qt pot and a large stock pot. I'm trying to keep my budget around $150, but willing to go up to $200 if the pots are worth it.

Dan

The Tramonte line at Walmart always gets great reviews. Comparable to all clad say some.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I bought a couple of T-Fal "Professional" non-stick pans. They were highly rated in Cook's Illustrated, and the handles on this line can go into a 450 F oven. And, they were cheap.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Check on Overstock.com and look at the Cuisinart SS.

Cook's Illustrated or America's Test Kitchen tested several fry pans and large sauce pans and found the Cuisinart was a best buy compared to their favorite, All Clad.

The hard-anodized aluminum cookware carried at Costco and Sam's Club, that looks like Calphalon, is also a good buy and I know several people who use and love it.

My local senior center has has it in their kitchen for three or four years and it has held up very well. I do some volunteer work there and have found no fault with it.

I don't think you have to spend a huge amount on something that is going to get little use.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

Ikea has two 'stock pot' like items that have a variety of inserts. cooking pasta, steaming etc if you plan to do that they are great. I use these two routinely for those two things all the time

T-fal is also good for non-stick saute pans. make sure you get the ones with the red circle in the middle if you choose to go this route. some do not have that and are thiner and cheaper

I agree that the Tramonte are very good, if there is an IKEA near you they have similar items much cheaper.

some of the 'top of the line' IKEA knives are also good. get the steel and the white ceramic shsarpener.

best of luck!

The problem with Ikea cookware is that their stores are still geographically sparse, and I wouldn't buy a pot or pan without having handled it in person. Their stuff might be great, but I'm not going to purchase it based on a web image.

I'll third the Tramontina (also available at Target). I don't know who's calling it the equivalent of All-Clad, but I'd question both their judgement and their criteria. As far as I know, none of the Tramontina stuff is fully clad, not that I think that's very important. Moreover, I'd say that Tramontina's handles are superior to All-Clad's -- but that's a matter of individual preference, and a perfect example of why you should get your hands on a piece before buying.

No one's mentioned the deals to be had on overstocks and irregulars at places like TJ Maxx and its spin-off HomeGoods, so I will. I've probably gotten a half-dozen pieces there -- Cuisinart, Sitram, Calphalon -- at stupidly cheap prices. You just have to visit often, and don't buy something until you find exactly what you want.

Dave Scantland
Executive director
dscantland@eGstaff.org
eG Ethics signatory

Eat more chicken skin.

Dave, you are totally correct.

There is a "Tuesday Morning" store in Palmdale that often has very high end cookware for very cheap, less even than Marshall's or T.J. Maxx.

I don't "need" any more cookware :laugh: but I do buy things at these places for gifts for new brides, housewarming prezzies and etc.

You can get a weekly or monthly notice of new stuff by signing up here.

Right now there has been a rash of engagements of grandchildren of friends (seems like only a couple of years since it was their children) and at the discount prices I can afford to give them more than if I purchased at a department store.

Here in Calif. Smart & Final has great prices on cookware that is designed for restaurant use.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

The problem with Ikea cookware is that their stores are still geographically sparse, and I wouldn't buy a pot or pan without having handled it in person. Their stuff might be great, but I'm not going to purchase it based on a web image.

I'll third the Tramontina (also available at Target). I don't know who's calling it the equivalent of All-Clad, but I'd question both their judgement and their criteria. As far as I know, none of the Tramontina stuff is fully clad, not that I think that's very important. Moreover, I'd say that Tramontina's handles are superior to All-Clad's -- but that's a matter of individual preference, and a perfect example of why you should get your hands on a piece before buying.

No one's mentioned the deals to be had on overstocks and irregulars at places like TJ Maxx and its spin-off HomeGoods, so I will. I've probably gotten a half-dozen pieces there -- Cuisinart, Sitram, Calphalon -- at stupidly cheap prices. You just have to visit often, and don't buy something until you find exactly what you want.

If memory serves, it was Cooks Illustrated that did the pan ranking. It surprised them too.

As far as I know, none of the Tramontina stuff is fully clad,

Hi,

In fact, the Tramontina 8-Piece 18/10 Stainless Steel TriPly-Clad Cookware Set is fully clad and available a many discount stores.

Tim

Edited by tim (log)

• 2 months later...

Sorry to push the thread off-topic, but I'm very much in need of a good multipurpose frying pan and have a very small budget. The low cost of restaurant supply stuff is quite appealing, though I don't know the brands - any good ones aside from Volrath?

Sorry to push the thread off-topic, but I'm very much in need of a good multipurpose frying pan and have a very small budget. The low cost of restaurant supply stuff is quite appealing, though I don't know the brands - any good ones aside from Volrath?

Are you looking for aluminum with non-stick interior, carbon steel, or stainless interior with aluminum or copper base?

As far as non-stick / aluminum, probably on the mid-price, good quality:

Lincoln Wearever (I think they're owned by Vollrath now?)

Browne-Halco

Winco

Polar Ware (I believe also US made; never used their pans, but their bowls are pretty well made)

Many of these brands have different levels of thickness. While stuff designed for restaurant kitchens should be tough enough for home use overall, given the price difference, might as well go for something heavy duty - this also helps prevent over-heating of the pan to the point where any toxic stuff might be a problem.

I'd buy somewhere local if you can (so you can feel the pan in your hand), but Food Service Warehouse http://www.foodservicewarehouse.com/aluminum-frying-pans-non-stick/c1978_447-Yes.aspx will give you a pretty good idea of what's out there and what it costs.

Maybe a bit higher end, but pricier:

Mafter Bourgeat

Sitram

Pick up a carbon-steel frying pan too - a cheap one can be had for not much at all.

Edited by Will (log)

If you're near a factory outlet store, look for a set of copper-bottomed stainless Revere ware. I bought a set a few years back with a 1 1/2 qt and 2 1/2 qt saucepan, 6 1/2 qt Dutch oven/stock pot, and 10-inch saute pan for, I think, $110. They're heavy enough to be serviceable, and have lasted well.

I'm 57. I have a Revere 3 qt pan that I cooked with as a child, my mother continued to use after I left home and I inherited it from her 3 years ago. It's still in good condition. We have 2 more that my wife and I added 33 years ago. IMHO it's good stuff.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

By the way, I strongly recommend against the Paula Dean 12 Qt stockpot available at Walmart, Target and other places. I bought 2 and they both had the enamel coating start cracking off.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

There is an All-Clad outlet store in Canonsburg, north of Pittsburgh and about 2 hours from Akron, OH. They also have an online store that is comparable in pricing. If you or one of your friends/family is active or retired military, AAFES has some really great deals on cookware, with the bonus of there being no charge for shipping if you are in the US.

Edited by annabelle (log)

I shop for pots and pans at Thrift Stores, on Craigslist, on "Crazedlist" (google it), and on eBay.

I have a near-complete set of All-Clad Cop-R-Chef and a bunch of Mauviel. I paid $5 to $30 for each piece. Just have to be patient. Took me about four years to assemble all the pots and pans I wanted. Short of the paella pan, I have them all. I'll find the paella pan some day. And I'll pay $11 for it. Just you wait.

EDIT -- Oh, and just the other week, I found some 15-piece Calphalon stainless set at a thrift -- new in the box -- for $99. Snatched that up, for when I'm not in the mood for scrubbing copper.

Thrift stores -- you won't BELIEVE what turns up in them. Tiffany glass, Patek Philippe, you name it...

Edited by ScoopKW (log)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

By the way, I strongly recommend against the Paula Dean 12 Qt stockpot available at Walmart, Target and other places. I bought 2 and they both had the enamel coating start cracking off.

Enameled steel is pretty much disposable cookware. The coating is fragile, and any tiny crack will expose the underlying steel, which will in turn corrode and damage the enamel further. I grew up with it and it remains cheapest and most common stuff around here, although light-gauge stainless is making strides.

(*waits for the flood of contrarian posts from people saying their wonderful Italian grandmother cooked with the same enameled pot for six hundred years and how dare we judge them*)

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

(*waits for the flood of contrarian posts from people saying their wonderful Italian grandmother cooked with the same enameled pot for six hundred years and how dare we judge them*)

I will say that I have a 20 qt stock pot of the same style of construction that has held up.

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;

You've had two out of three fail. :wink:

This is my skillet. There are many like it, but this one is mine. My skillet is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it, as I must master my life. Without me my skillet is useless. Without my skillet, I am useless. I must season my skillet well. I will. Before God I swear this creed. My skillet and myself are the makers of my meal. We are the masters of our kitchen. So be it, until there are no ingredients, but dinner. Amen.

I shop for pots and pans at Thrift Stores, on Craigslist, on "Crazedlist" (google it), and on eBay.

I have a near-complete set of All-Clad Cop-R-Chef and a bunch of Mauviel. I paid $5 to $30 for each piece. Just have to be patient. Took me about four years to assemble all the pots and pans I wanted. Short of the paella pan, I have them all. I'll find the paella pan some day. And I'll pay $11 for it. Just you wait.

EDIT -- Oh, and just the other week, I found some 15-piece Calphalon stainless set at a thrift -- new in the box -- for $99. Snatched that up, for when I'm not in the mood for scrubbing copper.

Thrift stores -- you won't BELIEVE what turns up in them. Tiffany glass, Patek Philippe, you name it...

I need to move to Vegas. Here in southern California I have visited multiple thrift stores weekly in northern Orange County, eastern Los Angeles County, and Western San Bernardino County for the last 10 years and have never found such good deals as you describe. I'm Jealous!! I visited 2 thrift stores on my way home tonight and found nothing of interest.

I do use ebay for commercial cookware for my Renaissance Faire cooking (not for the public but for one of the guilds).

Porthos Potwatcher
The Once and Future Cook

;