• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Pierogi (2011) - Rollin' the bon temps on the Left Co

Pierogi

That looks absolutely delicious. I've never had anything remotely resembling New Orleans cuisine - there just isn't anywhere that does it out here in this part of the world. You've inspired me to try making it at home - my tummy is rumbling from looking at that gumbo!

(PS Never had the food, but have touched Harry Connick Jr. So there's still a soul connection there.)

The pierogi look great! I'll have to try to make some. I went to Polish friends for Boxing Day pierogi, fish and bigos. It was really a great meal.

It's almost never bad to feed someone.

OK - I am absolutely dying for some of that NOLA in my house now. May have to try and mix up a pot this weekend - looks fabulous and am loving the baked rice - stovetop rice not my forte. Loving your blog.

Dinner's perking along on the stove, and in the oven, so it's cocktail hour.

Rather than expose myself to the horror that is a Hurricane, I chose another Mardi Gras-appropriate adult beverage.

Made with these ingredients, two of which are the absolute essence of my beloved NOLA:

Blog 11 052.JPG

Along with a bit of sugar and water, and maybe a strip of lemon twisted over, but not dropped, you have a *real* N'Awlins cocktail.

Ladies and Gentlemen......

The Sazerac:

Blog 11 053.JPG

A bad picture of a true thing of beauty. Back in a bit, gotta go stir the pot (literally !)

last Friday after work I was sitting ans staring at the liquor shelf. My wife asked me what I was doing and I said deciding if I wanted a manhattan or a sazerac. I went with the manhatthan but this week I'll have a sazerac in honor of this wonderful blog

Pierogi, this has been an absolute delight so far, and I shall savor the dwindling days. Our family is sharing one laptop at the moment or I would be littering your delightful foodblog with questions and comments. Let me just say that I enjoy lovely food sprinkled with sharp wit. :smile:

Really enjoying the peek into your food/life...

Short ribs looked amazing! That's on our dinner menu for tonight. And I have serious bread envy, FYI...

I love love love pierogies, there's a food cart in downtown Portland that makes amazing potato and cheese pierogies that I try to grab at least once every couple of weeks. At some point my goal is to make some myself, thanks for the step-by-step.

If you ate pasta and antipasto, would you still be hungry? ~Author Unknown

Good morning all !

It's another absolutely lovely day in SoCal, so I thought we'd take our show on the road today.

It's time for a bit of retail therapy. Since the grocery chains I frequent are far, far more mundane than some of the ones back East (like Wegmans, Fairway and Stew Leonard's, all of which give me serious grocery store envy), and even as much a I love Trader Joe's, if you've seen one TJ's, you've seen them all. Couple that with the fact that all the major chains around here prohibit picture taking, I figured shots of my normal grocery haunts were't going to happen.

But, because this area is such a cultural melting pot, we are lucky to have an absolutely limitless amount of ethnic grocery stores. So today, we'll head off to Litle India in Artesia, one of the cities just to the east of Long Beach. If we have time (and I have energy) we may also go to an Asian market there as well.

Back in a bit.

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

Oh little india! I found a great hole in the wall there than had a goat curry that was to die for. On the West side of Pioneer is all that I remember Oh! Google street view to the rescue;

it is Ambala Dhaba

17631 Pioneer Bl,

Look forward to hearing about your trip to little India!

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--

That looks absolutely delicious. I've never had anything remotely resembling New Orleans cuisine - there just isn't anywhere that does it out here in this part of the world. You've inspired me to try making it at home - my tummy is rumbling from looking at that gumbo!

(PS Never had the food, but have touched Harry Connick Jr. So there's still a soul connection there.)

Hi Hayley, and thank you. Cajun/Creole is really a marvelous cuisine, the flavors are so rich and deep. A lot of people think of it as "knock you over the head hot", but it doesn't have to be. It *is* spicy, but its usually a balanced, flavorful heat. Much like a good curry, although the flavor profiles are completely different, of course. Any good, heavily smoked sausage will do for the andouille, although andouille is better ! They also use a marvelous spice-rubbed, smoked ham called tasso in jambalayas and red beans and rice. Again, though it won't be 100% authentic, any very good, very smoky ham will work.

If you're looking for a good beginning cookbook, I'd recommend the Prudhomme. He gives you great basics, and also what you can use as substitutions. Both the Besh book and "Cooking Up A Storm" assume a bit of knowledge about the food.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

The pierogi look great! I'll have to try to make some. I went to Polish friends for Boxing Day pierogi, fish and bigos. It was really a great meal.

Some day, maybe next winter, since winter officially seems over here on the Left Coast, I'm going to make bigos. I've been wanting to for a long time. It sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the compliment. Pierogies really aren't that difficult, just tedious and time-consuming. If you've made fresh pasta, and especially ravioli, you can make pierogies.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Great blog!

Wonderful pictures, especially the puppies!

Mmmm.....pierogies.

And also....hello! :smile:

Hi Cass, and welcome to eG. Hope you enjoy it here.

Thanks for the kind words, I've been having a lot of fun.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

last Friday after work I was sitting ans staring at the liquor shelf. My wife asked me what I was doing and I said deciding if I wanted a manhattan or a sazerac. I went with the manhatthan but this week I'll have a sazerac in honor of this wonderful blog

They are a very nice drink, I must say.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Pierogi, this has been an absolute delight so far, and I shall savor the dwindling days. Our family is sharing one laptop at the moment or I would be littering your delightful foodblog with questions and comments. Let me just say that I enjoy lovely food sprinkled with sharp wit. :smile:

Awwwwwww, that's so sweet Bruce, thank you so much.... :blush: That means a lot to me. It's good to see you here, and hope you get your computer fixed soon. We miss ya, especially in the Dinner, Asian and Mexican threads.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Really enjoying the peek into your food/life...

Short ribs looked amazing! That's on our dinner menu for tonight. And I have serious bread envy, FYI...

I love love love pierogies, there's a food cart in downtown Portland that makes amazing potato and cheese pierogies that I try to grab at least once every couple of weeks. At some point my goal is to make some myself, thanks for the step-by-step.

:wub: Thanks Genkinaonna. As I said, if you can make ravioli, it's a piece of cake. Or, maybe a piece of dough.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

What a great blog -- so informative and I'm drooling over the food. You did a fantastic job with your gumbo -- and your Sazerac cocktail. Keep on blogging :biggrin:

Rhonda

Rhonda, I know *you* know a thing or 3 about gumbos, so coming from you, that's a huge compliment. I'm on a roll, I ain't stoppin' now... :wacko:

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

OK - I am absolutely dying for some of that NOLA in my house now. May have to try and mix up a pot this weekend - looks fabulous and am loving the baked rice - stovetop rice not my forte. Loving your blog.

Rick Bayless uses a similar technique in his "Mexican Everyday" cookbook, only he starts the rice in a saucepan on top of the stove, and sautes it like a risotto, along with onions and garlic. Then he adds the liquid and spices/herbs/tomatoes (if its a red rice) and so on. Then he puts the covered saucepan into the oven. I believe the temp is the same, but he doesn't bake it as long as Prudhomme recommends. I think Bayless' only cooks for about 20 minutes. His technique works quite well also. Prudhomme's rice is a bit more dry, probably because of the longer cooking time.

Stove top rice is hit and miss for me as well, although I've been having more success following the Cook's Illustrated method of rinsing the rice, using 1 part rice to 1.5 parts water, and then letting the rice steam, with a towel under the lid of the pot, off heat, for 10 minutes after it's done. I can get much more consistent results that way.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

OK, we're back from Little India, and it was a totally mind-blowing experience. I have to say, I'm ashamed to admit it, :sad: , but even though I am such a huge fan of Indian food, and even though I love to make it from scratch, and even though I've lived in this area for many more years than I care to cop to in public, I'd never been to go food shopping there.

I have no excuse. I kept thinking I want to, I should, but never motivated to actually do it. Well. Now, I'll be a regular. What a fun place to shop I found !

As 6ppc mentioned above, Little India is a stretch of Pioneer Boulevard in Artesia, roughly from 178th Street north to 183rd Street. There's a ton of restaurants, sari shops, jewelers, Bollywood video stores and little markets.

Artesia has a very interesting demographic/history. Back in the early 20th Century, it was settled primarily by Dutch and Portuguese dairy farmers, so much so that the original name of the area was "Dairy Valley". You can still see some of the Dutch influence in some of the old architecture and a few shops. There still is a large population of both Dutch and Portuguese in the area, along with Asian (Chinese, Korean and Filipino, primarily), and of course, Indian.

Next door to the Indian market we'll see in a minute, is a furniture store called "Postma Furniture". Postma, is I believe, a Dutch name, and the style of the building is similar to others I remember from the area when I was a kid. In this whole stretch of very exotic smelling foods and spices, and the glittery sari shops and very Asian/Eastern furniture, Postma's was selling stuff that would look right at home in Granny's parlor in the middle of Wisconsin. Very traditional American stuff. Talk about culture shock !

Anyway, here's the intersection where the grocery store is. I walked a bit down the street, and then back up, to see what there was to see. Couldn't go too far, but I went as long as I could.

Blog 13 001.JPG

I wanted to try to go to this store as well, "Standard Sweets and Snacks", since I'd heard of it before, but alas, they've closed down:

Blog 13 002.JPG

That's our destination, but we'll looky-loo a little first:

Blog 13 003.JPG

Look at the pretty sari (and the not-so-pretty reflection, yikes). I've always thought saris were very closely akin to fairy princess dresses. So elegant and glamorous. And this one was one of the "plainer" ones !

Blog 13 005.JPG

And for the gentlemen:

Blog 13 006.JPG

Need a bauble or two? Indian goldwork is some of the most elaborate and stunning I've ever seen. And it's usually 22 karat !

Blog 13 007.JPG

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Ahhhhh, here's where we're going - "Pioneer Cash and Carry" (gotta love the name):

Blog 13 004.JPG

It's a tiny little store, just jammed with all foodstuffs Indian. My mind was, as I say, well and truly blown. I can't wait to come back again and really take the time to look at everything.

Here's a shot from the back, parking lot entrance. It doesn't really begin to show how compact the place is:

Blog 13 008.JPG

Along one wall are the bulk spices, masala and curry mixes, and seeds:

Blog 13 009.JPG

Anyone need a 5-pound bag of tumeric?

Blog 13 010.JPG

(sorry for the glare off that one, I tried to fix it as best I could...)

One aisle is all dried pulses and legumes:

Blog 13 011.JPG

And the other side is every kind of dal (lentils) you can imagine !

Blog 13 012.JPG

Lots and lots of bottled pickle...

Blog 13 013.JPG

Blog 13 014.JPG

Blog 13 015.JPG

...and cooking/simmer sauces....

Blog 13 016.JPG

...and some pre-packaged foods.

Blog 13 017.JPG

Along the other opposite wall from the spices and seeds is the small produce area. Which also had fresh naans, chapatis and rotis under refrigeration:

Blog 13 018.JPG

I just saw them use this on "Chopped" on Food Network ! No, I didn't buy it today, but that doesn't mean I never will :wink: !

Blog 13 019.JPG

Indian munchies:

Blog 13 021.JPG

Need some ghee?

Blog 13 020.JPG

Or some jaggery?

Blog 13 022.JPG

And a little more culture clash...

Blog 13 023.JPG

Blog 13 024.JPG

At that point, sadly, our tour of "Pioneer Cash and Carry" came to an abrupt, unplanned end. My camera batteries crapped totally out ! :sad: Major bummer.....I'd been getting the low battery warning all day, but thought I could squeeze out enough juice for the whole field trip. Yeah, fat chance there, bucko ! I'm actually very happpy I got that shot of the naan pizzas, I thought it didn't take.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

Great shots of the market in Little India. Sadly I am a virgin there as well. No excuse really but there is a small but well stocked Indian market within minutes of me (India Sweets and Spices on Sepulveda just east of Anza). Did you add to your pantry stock?

Oh and adding to other comments the gumbo was luscious in appearance and I am sure taste.

So did I buy anything....?

But of course !

Some spices I'd been looking for:

Blog 13 026.JPG

That's a bag of fresh curry leaves, a bag of kalongi (which is nigella seed, also known as onion seed), some tamarind paste and some citric acid. Hey, maybe I can start doing molecular gastronomy with the citric acid??? Yeah. Prolly not.

Some dal I couldn't get before:

Blog 13 027.JPG

I believe both the Urad dal and the Dhana dal are primarily used as garnish, or as an ingredient in other dishes, but I'll have to do some research and playing around. But I've been lookin' for these little guys !

And finally, the best treasure of all:

Blog 13 029.JPG

FROZEN IDLI !!! I haven't had idli in probably 20 years, since the ex-wife of my first boss used to make them and bring them for lunch. THAT find was worth the trip alone.

So, even though the batteries crapped out, I decided, since I was close, to check out the Asian market as well. We'll go back there with new batteries, because it was also really, really cool, and I think all y'all will enjoy that too. Plus, I have stuff I want to buy there too !

Back after dinner (an adult beverage or two) and clean-up.

Hope you enjoyed Little India. *I* certainly did.

--Roberta--

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

just a pic to tease Shelby- 80 degrees and had to stop at a bar 4 of 5 miles home on my bike :).

IMG_0147.jpg

(have I mentioned that LB is pretty darned bike friendly?)

Behold my commute! Long Beach is a nifty place to live.

Edited by 6ppc (log)

Jon

--formerly known as 6ppc--