• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Measuring cups

Fat Guy

I recently acquired a Leifheit 1-liter measuring cup, like so. It is a beautifully designed product, with a triangular shape that makes pouring neat and convenient, a beefy handle, a non-skid bottom and very readable markings. It got me thinking I may want to upgrade my measuring collection, and got me wondering: what are the best measuring cups? (I am gravitating more and more towards weighing ingredients, but I still find myself using measuring cups often.)

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I don't know whether they're the best going, but I have a set of stainless steel measuring cups from Williams Sonoma, and really like them. The depth/width ratios are good, and they double as pounders/espresso tampers, etc. I'd link to them, but the WS website forbids me access, which is weird.

Edited by Mjx (log)

Michaela, aka "Mjx"
Manager, eG Forums
mscioscia@egstaff.org

i use a model similar to the one fat guy mentioned-- perfect beaker-- for liquids and the Williams Sonoma ones Mjx mentioned for dry ingredients. i've had the same set for at least 15 yrs-- they are really sturdy and indestructible. a glass salter scale, and a set of measuring spoons with long, narrow bowls (so that even the tablespoon will fit into a spice jar) complete my measuring batterie de cuisine.

"Laughter is brightest where food is best."

www.chezcherie.com

Author of The I Love Trader Joe's Cookbook ,The I Love Trader Joe's Party Cookbook and The I Love Trader Joe's Around the World Cookbook

I absolutely love the William Bounds Sili silicone measuring cups set. The different colors make it very easy to see at a glance which size you're grabbing. They are very flexible, making it easy to squeeze ingredients out, yet still very sturdy. They're very easy to clean as well. They may be a bit pricier than some other alternatives, but are very worth it.

I've got multiple copies of tupperware nesting measuring cups. And multiple copies of many other types - but I really like the tupperware ones. Pick more up every time I find them in a thrift store.

For liquid I like the Pyrex brand best - I have a number of one cup, two cup, four cup and eight cup measures. For melting chocolate I use the 8 cup ones most - probably have about 8 of them around here between my teaching kit, my chocolate lab and my kitchen.

What I really like is are dry sets that have the non-standard measures...in cups, 3/4 and 2/3 and in spoons, 1/8 tsp and 1/2 Tbls. I know I could probably easily guesstimate the 1/8 tsp, but I still like having the spoon. And since I routinely scale-down recipes, the 1/2 Tbls. comes in very handy. As do the 3/4 and 2/3 cups, saves time.

ETA - I have one of those perfect beaker type creatures, but it's plastic and I'm hesitant to put it in the dishwasher for fear the printed measure markings will fade off from the detergent. So mostly for liquids, I use the old stand-by Pyrex, 1, 2 and 4 cups. I am learning to weigh, but so many of my existing recipes are in measures, not weights.

Edited by Pierogi (log)

--Roberta--

"Let's slip out of these wet clothes, and into a dry Martini" - Robert Benchley

Pierogi's eG Foodblog

My *outside* blog, "A Pound Of Yeast"

I have a lot of measuring cups.

The liquid measures I have are mostly Pyrex, from 1 cup to 2 quart/liter and I have one Anchor Hocking that is 2 1/2 quarts.

They can go in the microwave and into the oven, which is important to me, not so much to others.

I have some plastic ones that are not microwavable but they are adequate for measuring liquids.

I also have this one that was a gift but it is borosilicate glass, a big plus in spite of the "humorous" measurements.

I have the silicone measuring set by Isi which I like so much that I sent a set to my daughter.

They are microwavable and are easy to grasp.

For dry measures I check to see that the measurements are accurate - some are a long way off accurate. These are the ones I use routinely.

I have a bunch because I don't want to stop and wash them when I am measuring for several recipes in a short period of time.

HPIM3885.JPG

They are in plastic bags so they can be hung up and kept dust free between uses and I can easily find the set I want.

I should add that I have thrown out many sets that were so inaccurate it would have thrown off most baking recipes.

In one set the 1/4 cup measure was barely 3 tablespoons and the 1/2 cup was just slightly more than 1/3 cup, and the 3/4 and 1 cup measures were just as bad.

They were also not cheap and had a "name" attached to them. They are no longer on the market.

What I really like is are dry sets that have the non-standard measures...in cups, 3/4 and 2/3 and in spoons, 1/8 tsp and 1/2 Tbls. I know I could probably easily guesstimate the 1/8 tsp, but I still like having the spoon. And since I routinely scale-down recipes, the 1/2 Tbls. comes in very handy. As do the 3/4 and 2/3 cups, saves time.

ETA - I have one of those perfect beaker type creatures, but it's plastic and I'm hesitant to put it in the dishwasher for fear the printed measure markings will fade off from the detergent. So mostly for liquids, I use the old stand-by Pyrex, 1, 2 and 4 cups. I am learning to weigh, but so many of my existing recipes are in measures, not weights.

I agree. I have a bunch of the "odd" measures.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I'm with Andie on this one: pyrex, glass, plastic, metal, a one-cup with a wooden handle even.

The plastic bag storage blows me away but I'm pretty good about storing them in sets.

I have a couple of 2 Tablespoon measuring cups and those I treasure. Found them at the $ stores years ago; bought a number, gave them to friends, returned to buy them...they were gone and I never saw them again.

Also, Canadians are at a certain disadvantage in that their butter comes in one solid block like lard and it's a pain to measure. So I have a tiny plastic-covered cheat sheet I made myself which is on the side of my fridge with a magnet backing with the weight in grams and ounces of volume measurements of butter. Now if only I could simply remember them without looking...just to make sure.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I weigh liquids most of the time unless it is something drastically different from water (e.g honey). I have found that with eyeballing the gradients I have to wait for the liquid to settle and then make tiny adjustments. It takes less time to just tare out a scale and weigh it.

I'm a purist. The simpler, the better. I have the set in Andisenji's photo -- stainless steel, unbagged, at 12:00. I have a set of measuring spoons of the same make. I'm all about the sound of a spatula scraping across those things, a flip, and a sharp tap on the bottom to empty it. Tut, tut! I need a baking uniform. With those admiral brush things on the shoulders.

I have a one cup Pyrex measuring cup, very anal that it has a handle that loops so I can hang it on a peg even though I no longer do that in my current kitchen. I also have the Wonder Cup and I can't live without it.

I recently picked up a nice vintage 2 cup Pyrex measuring cup with loop handle at a thrift store. Very nice but it sits in my drawer.

I have a set of one cup glass bowls I use for mise en place, I measure the ingredients in order of messiness and put them in the MIP bowls.

Tut, tut, salute!

:laugh:

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

I have many, but I love the set of measuring spoons that chezcherie mentioned above. I got mine from King Arthur Flour's website. They are stainless steel and long and narrow so they fit in any jar. They also have the odd sizes, the 1/2 tablespoon, the 1/8 teaspoon and the 3/4 teaspoon along with the common sizes all on a chain. They make measuring very convenient.

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/items/spice-measuring-spoons-set-of-7

I like that same set of spoons. I got mine at the factory outlet kitchen store in my city. They have an extensive array of measuring spoons, cups, glasses and etc., some rather whimsical.(and those are not very accurate.

I have the "Perfect beaker" and have both the large and small "Wonder Cups" but don't care much for them. I have trouble gripping and twisting because of arthritis in my hands.

I have some other long-handled measuring spoons as well as several "regular" length. The oval set just left of center are "odd-sized" 2 tablespoon, 1 1/2 tablespoon and etc.

HPIM3887.JPG

My favorite spoon sets for liquid measuring are these because the handle is made so they will set level on a counter, a big advantage when one has a tremor in one hand.

mes spoons closeup.jpg

The holders (magnetic and desktop, found at Office Depot) hold plastic measuring spoons grouped by size. Some sets are incomplete because I have left them in the ingredient container because I use that one size most often. The salt box next to my stovetop holds a tablespoon, 1/2 tablespoon, teaspoon and 1/2 teaspoon measures.

The jar with the dry yeast a 1 1/2 teaspoon odd size measure.

It may seem like overkill to have so many but as I have mentioned in other threads when I go into baking mode, I do a "production line" assembly of the recipes, bowls and etc., that I will need and put everything for each one on a tray or in a bus tub, including a set of measuring cups and spoons.

I go along and measure each dry ingredient for all the recipes in order and combine them, if appropriate in plastic bags. And there have been times when I used every set I have.

Here's some of the Pyrex & Anchor Hocking glass - the green one is an old Fire-King 2 cup graduated measure that once had a citrus reamer top (broken) but it is an accurate measure.

Pyr&AH measures.JPG

And these are some of the plastic ones I rarely use. Not for the microwave!

plastic measures.JPG

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I have some other long-handled measuring spoons as well as several "regular" length. The oval set just left of center are "odd-sized" 2 tablespoon, 1 1/2 tablespoon and etc.

HPIM3887.JPG

In your photo, just below the oval set, is a set of 6 spoons. I have a set that looks like those but have found that the "Tablespoon" is really just two teaspoons in size. That discovery meant that I had to update many of my recipes! :angry:

HPIM3887.JPG

In your photo, just below the oval set, is a set of 6 spoons. I have a set that looks like those but have found that the "Tablespoon" is really just two teaspoons in size. That discovery meant that I had to update many of my recipes! :angry:

The one I have measures out at exactly 15 ML, which is the same as all the others I use.

I have one set, sent to me from Australia (and tucked away in a drawer) in which the tablespoon measures out at 20 ML which is accurate for OZ. The US and UK measurements are the same. As far as I know only OZ is different in this one measure.

Why are there variances in these measuring devices? It would seem there would be no excuse for that in the modern age.

Because some are cheaply made and are "copy cat" products, often made with molds of the more expensive originals. The molds take up space so the interior volume is either more or less than the originals.

Some knock off of the Nigella Lawson measuring cups showed up in "dollar stores" a couple of years ago and they were extremely inaccurate.

The one I have measures out at exactly 15 ML, which is the same as all the others I use.

I have one set, sent to me from Australia (and tucked away in a drawer) in which the tablespoon measures out at 20 ML which is accurate for OZ. The US and UK measurements are the same. As far as I know only OZ is different in this one measure.

Why are there variances in these measuring devices? It would seem there would be no excuse for that in the modern age.

Because some are cheaply made and are "copy cat" products, often made with molds of the more expensive originals. The molds take up space so the interior volume is either more or less than the originals.

Some knock off of the Nigella Lawson measuring cups showed up in "dollar stores" a couple of years ago and they were extremely inaccurate.

What method do you use to check them? Weighing water in them?

I have a laboratory/pharmacy volumetric measure. It has to be accurate by law!HPIM3892.JPG

I have a laboratory/pharmacy volumetric measure. It has to be accurate by law!HPIM3892.JPG

Wouldn't weighing water in them work (assuming you're not at very high altitude)? I don't have a lab quality volumetric measure (nor, I would guess, do most others).

Wouldn't weighing water in them work (assuming you're not at very high altitude)? I don't have a lab quality volumetric measure (nor, I would guess, do most others).

Mostly I have the pipettes for accurate measurement of liquid flavorings because droppers are not very accurate.

Pipettes are relatively inexpensive like these.

HPIM3887.JPG

Unfortunatley, mine measures out between 10 and 11. I just treat it as a 2 tsp measure and remember that when I am using it. The other spoons in my set are pretty accurate.

I just looked at the 2/11 email from America's Test Kitchen and one of the subjects was "Measuring Spoons" and their winner was the Cuisipro set that in the text says has oval spoons and the ends of the handles are bent so the spoons set level.

The set that is pictured is the long-handled rectangular set so there has apparently been a glitch in their presentation.

I just looked at the 2/11 email from America's Test Kitchen and one of the subjects was "Measuring Spoons" and their winner was the Cuisipro set that in the text says has oval spoons and the ends of the handles are bent so the spoons set level.

The set that is pictured is the long-handled rectangular set so there has apparently been a glitch in their presentation.

Thanks.. Those look nice for dipping in!!

Its good to have Morels

Today's email from ChefsCatalog.com

included this interesting combination:

Measuring Cup Scale.

Also some "Dual, magnetic measuring spoons"

Being a rabid enthusiastic collector, I have ordered these.

What can I say? I'm hopeless. :blink: