• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pickles for Breakfast

Chris Amirault

I've begun appreciating the benefits of pickles at breakfast. In particular, I have been enjoying having a few pickled jalapeños with my scrambled eggs and English muffin in the morning; if there's a bit of monterey jack cheese around, I might toss that on, too.

Breakfast here tends to be a pretty rich affair when it's savory, what with eggs, bacon, hash, and the like. A pickle cuts right through that as a tasty contrast. I know that the Japanese figured this pickle for breakfast thing out long ago; makes me wonder if keeping some oshinko around would be a good idea.

Anyone else out there eating pickles for breakfast?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

I had pickled jalapenos on a tortilla with melted cheddar yesterday for breakfast. Come to think of it, while I was waiting for the cheese to melt, I popped a couple of pickled mushrooms in my mouth! So, yes, I eat pickled stuff for breakfast a lot.

Sweet stuff in the morning gives me a huge headache for some reason.

Pickled herring is an outstanding breakfast item. Rollmops are said to fix a hangover.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

There's nothing better than aloo paratha, yoghurt, and some nice achar for brekkie. Particular favourites of mine are mango or lemon. Or mooli-cauliflower. Or green chilli. Ok, so I lied, I don't have a favourite!

Can't go wrong with pickles with upma either actually...

One of the greatest breakfasts I ever had was upma, chutney, and pickles.

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts