• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Great Food Truck Race

Chris Hennes

I just saw this piece over on Serious Eats about The Food Network's new show, The Great Food Truck Race, and I have to admit to being intrigued. It sounds like the judging is as fair as judging can get (profits, period), there is minimal intervention from the host (Tyler Florence), and some of the trucks are interesting. Anyone else planning on tuning in?

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

It will be interesting to see if some of the trucks get axed because of location...

For example a couple of people serving crepes, decked out in frenchie gear, in texas or similar.

Also wondering if availability and quality of ingredients will make an impact at any point.

Well, that was interesting at least. Some wildly varied food being offered. Not sure about the fine dining truck.

What I found curious was that they all had to start from scratch and find a place to park, but the wildly annoying ragin cajun had red beans and rice, gumbo and jambalaya ready to go in short order? How does that work?

And the right truck went home. Proper planning prevents poor performance.

It will be interesting to see if some of the trucks get axed because of location...

For example a couple of people serving crepes, decked out in frenchie gear, in texas or similar.

I live in Texas. Crepes and other "French food" seem to be, to me anyway, although not so popular as Mexican, perfectly fine.

Have you spent any time in Texas?

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Since I live in San Diego - the starting point of the "race" - I made it a point to watch the show.

Bahn Mi are very popular here, and the Hillcrest Farmer's Marktet (a Sunday market) is one of the largest. Sophisticated, upscale market clientel that knows what a bahn mi is. No surprise here that this truck won. Wonder how it will play in Santa Fe, NM, the next stop.

The crepe truck ended up in (or close to) Little Italy. The Saturday farmer's market is in Little Italy and has a Breton crepe stand that does great business, so their location, whether by design or stroke of luck, probably played to their strengths. Again, they were in a neighborhood that knew what their product was and likes it.

Several trucks were in the Gaslamp which is probably not the best location. It may be tourist central, but it's also wall to wall restaurants of all variety and really doesn't get cranked up until well after dark.

As far as I could tell, it looked like the pressed sandwich truck from Austin parked in Pacific Beach. In theory this was not a bad selection as there are TONS of bars and college kids. This was filmed several months ago before the summer beach season began, they probably would have done better had we been in full beach mode. Adn Ocean Beach might have been a better beach to choose as it's got better foot traffic

The Adams Ave. street festival? Really? Very local, but not a rice and beans or banana pudding location or crowd. There is only 1 restaurant in SD doing Cajun/NOLA style food, the other one (which was better) closed. Even if the fryer had been working, this isn't a wing town either. Carne Asada burrito or rolled tacos in a heart beat, wings...not so much.

Based on their locations, there was one truck that didn't do well despite what should have been the perfect location, and that was the burger truck. They parked on 30th St. in North Park. That is a great location as there are many cafes and bars that feature the craft beers of San Diego and have a lively late night scene. It gets great foot traffic and caters to a hip, young, knowlegeable crowd. They should have been able to pull in a heck of a lot more than they did. Knowing that area pretty well, I was left scratching my head trying to figure out how they could have done so badly in an area that should have been so great.

The right truck went home, I wonder how they'll all do next week.

I live in Texas. Crepes and other "French food" seem to be, to me anyway, although not so popular as Mexican, perfectly fine.

Have you spent any time in Texas?

Just an example, I don't mean to stereotype an entire state.

I was trying to bring up something that may affect the outcome, a factor that depends more upon an areas sociopolitical tendencies.

I think each truck may have an advantage in different places, e.g. trendy bahn mi vs heavy burgers on last nights episode. Considering it was spring in southern california I think that plays a part.

I guess I shouldn't have messed with texas....

Wonder how they handle sales tax, health inspection and business license? Parking too without being chased away. Park in front of some restaurants and drive away with four flat tires.

Curious that all the great food trucks are from west of the Mississippi and mostly the west coast.

Wrong truck went home. Banana pudding rules.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Probably should have made sure they had everything they needed first...something like gas for cooking seems important.

My guess is the plated french truck goes home next. Kind of an oxymoron for a food truck.

Not in San Diego, and definitely not in the neighborhood in which the "fesitval" (more like a street fair) was being held. I knew they were goners when I heard where they were heading; as a local it didn't make sense.

Either tweak the menu or find the right venue.

Probably should have made sure they had everything they needed first...something like gas for cooking seems important.

It was a learning moment and to their credit they quickly caught their error once they threw the chicken in the fryer and nothing happened.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

My guess is the plated french truck goes home next. Kind of an oxymoron for a food truck.

Actually, I think Santa Fe is sophisticated enough that they'll survive next week. I was surprised they survived this week as their location and marketing (if you could call it that) were both pretty weak.

It will be interesting to see how/if trucks adapt as they move onto different cities. It seems like food trucks are by their very nature "niche" food establishments. People come up with an idea that they think will work in their home turf. Trying to make it work in an unfamiliar area could be quite challenging.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Also wondering if availability and quality of ingredients will make an impact at any point.

Actually one of our most popular street food vendors here for the past year or so has been a sidewalk creperie called Melange. I went down there today for the first time in a couple of months as he's taking a couple of weeks off for some repairs to his stand and canopy. I had an avocado-lime-jicama with Anaheim chile pepper sauce and Crema Salvadorena. Damn tasty although I think I could be very satisfied eating his crepes without any filling.

As to the frenchie gear, you may have nailed us, though. I think I've seen Buffalo Sean (that's what he calls himself - that's probably not a French name, is it?) wearing a t-shirt mentioning the Sorbonne but today it was a Don't Mess With Texas ball cap and a Seebees t-shirt.

On the thread topic, I don't have cable so won't be watching the show and don't understand exactly how it works, and, of course they're not coming here, but I think they would all do well here except perhaps the plated French truck. We've had taco trucks galore for ages all over town but the gourmet or specialty mobile food vendor craze is still in its infancy here and I doubt much of the fine French dining crowd has warmed up to it yet. But, who knows. You know, the Cajun truck might not do too well, either. We've had several that haven't lasted except for catering, so far as I know. We have so many Cajun places here, if people knew it was from LA they might not expect it to measure up to what we have readily available.

Nice sarcasm.

Good thing you dispelled the 'myth' by ordering a tex-mex crepe!

To reiterate:

I was trying to bring up something that may affect the outcome, a factor that depends more upon an areas sociopolitical tendencies.

I think each truck may have an advantage in different places, e.g. trendy bahn mi vs heavy burgers on last nights episode. Considering it was spring in southern california I think that plays a part.

Do you really think, everything equal...that a crepe truck and a french food truck would do as well in texas as southern california or new york city? Thats all I was alluding to.

Edited by ChickenStu (log)

Nice sarcasm.

To reiterate:

Do you really think, everything equal...that a crepe truck and a french food truck would do as well in texas as southern california or new york city? Thats all I was alluding to.

Not to continue this inconsequential and unintentional little nothing of a mini-dustup any longer than necessary, but one thing you might consider is that Texas is an enormous place, with each area having its own individual "vibe."

Austin, for example, is much different in mood, feel and opinion than, say, Midland (where, indeed, "Frenchy" and his mobile creperie might not do so well). Houston is the fourth-largest city in the entire nation; in fact, three of the US's top ten largest cities are in Texas. There are areas in each of these cities (as well as elsewhere in Texas, frankly) where the residents are easily as sophisticated, educated and well-traveled as anyone else on the planet.

Including the residents of Southern California (where I've lived), and New York City (where I've lived as well).

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Just want to add, ChickenStu, that I do get your larger point - i.e., regional differences, preferences, etc., might well make a difference - and I also find that to be a particularly interesting aspect to follow.

Nice sarcasm.

To reiterate:

My post was meant to be informative and perhaps mildly amusing, not sarcastic. Sorry you read it that way. I saw your second post; I was responding to your first post with some information that I thought was relevant.

I chose the crepe I did because it's the one I wanted to eat off a limited menu of 6 crepes, not so I would have something to dispel a myth with. The 2 guys in front of me had the classic banana/nutella combination, the 2 before that breakfast crepes. None of those appealed to me, irregardless of needing to come up with something to post on a message board. He does one crepe a week that is kind of experimental; that's the one I chose. I would have categorized it as more of a Cal-Mex thing than Tex-Mex but I don't think he gives a damn about categories, nor did I.

• 2 weeks later...

I watched the first two episodes today and thought that it exceeded my expectations for a Food Network show. I'm on board. It's a pretty open competition. Go get your own press. Pretty cool.

Banh Mi appears to be well timed, but it's not just that. That team has it together.

I watched the first two episodes today and thought that it exceeded my expectations for a Food Network show. I'm on board. It's a pretty open competition. Go get your own press. Pretty cool.

Banh Mi appears to be well timed, but it's not just that. That team has it together.

That's the truth. I'm sure they're going lots of places where nobody has heard of bahn mi. It's unquestionably more unfamiliar than hamburgers, for example, but they're positioning themselves well, getting lots of free publicity, turning out excellent product, etc.

It's impressive.

I saw Grill em All and Badass Babes Burgers on Food Wars the other night.

It came out that the head of Grill worked for Badass (who was already a success) for all of two weeks to get the swing of the biz and then quit and opened his truck. He all but admitted it and I lost a ton of respect for that guy.

I saw Grill em All and Badass Babes Burgers on Food Wars the other night.

It came out that the head of Grill worked for Badass (who was already a success) for all of two weeks to get the swing of the biz and then quit and opened his truck. He all but admitted it and I lost a ton of respect for that guy.

im a big fan of food wars and the host. i saw that ep and i was like how do u sleep at night (referring to grill em all)

Have watched all the eps and it's very clear that what separates the wheat from the chaff is business savvy. Nom Nom is a group of biz school grads. And it is not their first venture, either. Grill seems to have a decent cook, but horrible business sense. Same with Spenser. It's a good show for Food Network, because it's an approachable food competition, and it's not about the food as much as their other shows. And though food judges' tastes are subjective, sales are not. They're the proof in the pudding.

And anyone hoping to run a business selling only banana pudding? Lollerskates...!

And anyone hoping to run a business selling only banana pudding? Lollerskates...!

To be fair, they were also offering wings, and according to a Web search, also baked beans, and some different french fry offerings. But there are complaints at the LAWeekly blog about their speed. (People do praise their banana puddings, but I had the same reaction - just how much will people spend on banana pudding-plus, unless it's a festival?)

I hope it doesn't become a NomNom #1, who's #2 contest. That would be kind of boring. Did you see the *huge* gap between them and #2 last week?!