• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

In-grown onion skin

Anna N

Fairly frequently I come across an ordinary cooking onion in which the skin has grown into the heart of the onion. Some are trashed immediately but some I will try to rescue by trimming out the offending skin. However, I always question the quality of such onions. They seem softer and not as pungent. Love to hear other views on this.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Definitely softer around the inside skin - I use them if they aren't too far gone or if I'm desperate (only onions left in the house). I peel back until they are all firm.

Never noticed whether they differ in pungency - will have to observe.

Most likely an onion past its peak holding time. I do as you do - trim out the inner skin and use it in soups or wherever it might be cooked. For raw onion usage, I look for fresher onions in my drawer, or head back out to the store.

The same issue comes up with garlic and trimming the green piece out of the center.

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

Into the stock bag in the freezer with the other vegetable scraps. I usually put onion skins in there generally, except for the outermost layer, which can be dirty. They have a good oniony flavor and add a nice color to stock, unless it's to be a white stock of course. Those decorative Ukrainian Easter eggs are made by boiling the eggs in water steeped with onion skins, and then patterns are etched into the shell with a needle.

I am confused. Is the onion skin coming from the outside somehow into the flesh or are you talking about the situation where it looked like onion skin in the core? As if there is a mini onion w/ skin in the center? If the latter, I just had a few of them. They were 6 for a dollar and I could tell they were a little soft so I used them right away. They seem like fresh onions that have not been aged properly. My eyes were watering so they were pungent in that regard. I did discard two layers on the outside that seemed too soft and then popped the mini onion out of the middle as I was cutting. I roasted most of them with garlic and olive oil right away to use in various preps, and put one in rings into a quick pickle. I would have to taste them before using completely raw in a salad.