• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Brownie pan with divider

Darienne

While trying to find a photo of a bite-sized silicone pan I own to send to Aloha Steve, I came across this Perfect Brownie Pan advert. Strictly in the Slap Chopper mode, the ad itself is mind-assaulting, but the pan looks very useful. A large pan, with a set-in divider which separate the batter into sections before baking...like the old fashioned ice-cube trays (if you are old enough to recall them...I am old enough to recall a time without even an icebox. :raz: )

The ad is a tad short on specs and so I am wondering if anyone has purchased one. (I am thinking specifically of make chocolate-dipped toffee, already divided into neat pieces for me, as the makers of Enstrom toffee must do.)

???

OK. Found a review of the Perfect Brownie pan with pros and cons listed. Of special note is the fact that you can purchase one at E Bay, Amazon, or at Bed Bath and Beyond for $20, possibly under the name 'Slice Solutions Brownie Pan'.

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

My little sister really wanted this for Christmas this year, and I found it at Target (the real, as-seen-on-TV Perfect Brownie Pan, no less!!) for $19.99, so I got it for her. It really does work like it says, but you do have to rease it REALLY well when you do fudgier or stickier brownies. They do tend to stick. I think it's kind of a pain to clean, but I just make little sis do it! I love the edge pieces, so it works out well. We haven't tried it with a regular cake recipe yet, but her b'day is coming up, so I might make square cupcakes.

Like the review says - don't use the recipes it comes with. They're pretty awful.

I am debating getting one of these all eges lasagna pans for her as well. Think Geek also has a brownie version.

"Life is a combination of magic and pasta." - Frederico Fellini

I am debating getting one of these all edges lasagna pans for her as well. Think Geek also has a brownie version.

I say...go for it, girl!!! :smile:

A friend says the brownie pan is available at Michael's, so I am heading there this afternoon.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Alas no pans at Michael's and so my 40% off coupon went unspent. Hendrix, a Canadian restaurant supply store carries them but at a higher basic price and with no discount. Rats. :laugh:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

I am debating getting one of these all eges lasagna pans for her as well. Think Geek also has a brownie version.

Tell me what is the difference between thisall edges brownie pan and theall edges lasagna pan ? :blink:

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

"I have never developed indigestion from eating my words."-- Winston Churchill

Talk doesn't cook rice. ~ Chinese Proverb

Tell me what is the difference between this all edges brownie pan and the all edges lasagna pan ? :blink:

Edited by Aloha Steve (log)

edited for grammar & spelling. I do it 95% of my posts so I'll state it here. :)

Alas no pans at Michael's and so my 40% off coupon went unspent. Hendrix, a Canadian restaurant supply store carries them but at a higher basic price and with no discount. Rats. :laugh:

Worth checking Homesense and Winners - I've seen them there before.

Tell me what is the difference between this all edges brownie pan and the all edges lasagna pan ? :blink:

If you click on the fifth picture on the brownie pan Amazon page and read the notes, you will see the side by side comparison of the two pans.

Size might matter in this instance. :rolleyes:

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Can't you just use muffin tins instead? They don't cost as much, and certainly aren't unitaskers.

Hi therippa,

I'm going to assume that you are asking the question of me. Upon re-reading the topic, I see that I never explained clearly just why I wanted that particular pan.

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I make this copy cat version of Enstrom's toffee...the best toffee I have ever eaten...which is coated with chocolate after cooling.

If you cover the top and bottom of the toffee with chocolate and then break the toffee into pieces (shards), some of the chocolate can come off in uneven patches.

If you cut the toffee in the pan, it's not that easy to get the pieces even and cut through although with experience I could get it right no doubt. Caramel rulers, which I don't own, might be useful for the cutting process.

It just struck me that this brownie pan, with its set-in divider, might be the answer to our situation, two pans. We could just set the divider into the cooling toffee, and the resulting pieces would be small and even, and we could simply dip them right into the chocolate, sprinkle one side with chopped nuts and le voila!

Michaels no longer carries the pans. Winners/HomeSense in Peterborough had no idea what I was talking about. They have another brand of the pans at Hendrix but they cost too much for my taste. So...

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

If you click on the fifth picture on the brownie pan Amazon page and read the notes, you will see the side by side comparison of the two pans.

Size might matter in this instance. :rolleyes:

As in most things :laugh: Thanks for pointing it out.

Can't you just use muffin tins instead? They don't cost as much, and certainly aren't unitaskers.

Hi therippa,

I'm going to assume that you are asking the question of me. Upon re-reading the topic, I see that I never explained clearly just why I wanted that particular pan.

Confectionery partner, Barbara, and I make this copy cat version of Enstrom's toffee...the best toffee I have ever eaten...which is coated with chocolate after cooling.

If you cover the top and bottom of the toffee with chocolate and then break the toffee into pieces (shards), some of the chocolate can come off in uneven patches.

If you cut the toffee in the pan, it's not that easy to get the pieces even and cut through although with experience I could get it right no doubt. Caramel rulers, which I don't own, might be useful for the cutting process.

It just struck me that this brownie pan, with its set-in divider, might be the answer to our situation, two pans. We could just set the divider into the cooling toffee, and the resulting pieces would be small and even, and we could simply dip them right into the chocolate, sprinkle one side with chopped nuts and le voila!

If you can't track down the brownie pan, how about a mini cheesecake pan? Would that work for you?

Edited by emmalish (log)

I'm gonna go bake something…

wanna come with?

Nope. not suitable. I do have all sorts of mini-pans already. You can't spread hot toffee in such little pans. Not enough time. But thanks for the idea.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Darienne,

I saw this brownie pan at the "As seen on TV" store here. It was $29.99. If you have a store closer to you, take a look. If not, I can get it for you and deliver it in May when you are down here.

Darienne,

I saw this brownie pan at the "As seen on TV" store here. It was $29.99. If you have a store closer to you, take a look. If not, I can get it for you and deliver it in May when you are down here.

Thanks David, but I can get one at Hendrix in Peterpatch for about $26.00 Firstly I would want two...no way am I paying $50.00 for two pans, and secondly I can buy them in the States for $20.00 should I decide to go ahead.

All in all, I think I'll jettison the idea totally. I have my DH, Ed, who is very handy with a knife or wallboard spatula and he has offered to cut the toffee for me. Also I am going to investigate the idea of metal ceiling grids which could be cut down to divide a cookie sheet of toffee into small squares.

But thanks again. Hmmm...it's all a bit like being a food detective. The chase is more important than the solution. :hmmm:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I eat brownies, I skip the edges and go stright for the middle, so this pan was always one of those "stupid" kitchen gadgets for me. After hearing the lasagna idea though (I love crisper edges there..) I might give it a try. Has anybody done it?

edited to correct font and add a couple words..

Edited by Shamanjoe (log)

"...which usually means underflavored, undersalted modern French cooking hidden under edible flowers and Mexican fruits."

- Jeffrey Steingarten, in reference to "California Cuisine".

Bit the bullet. $24.99 + 15% tax (this IS Canada) for one Slice Solutions, Chicago Metallic Bake-Lift-Serve Brownie Pan. Divides into twelve, each section 2 1/4 " X 3". Now to make some Enstrom CopyCat toffee and see if I just wasted $28,74. I'll be back... :wink:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

When I eat brownies, I skip the edges and go stright for the middle, so this pan was always one of those "stupid" kitchen gadgets for me. After hearing the lasagna idea though (I love crisper edges there..) I might give it a try. Has anybody done it?

edited to correct font and add a couple words..

Yes, but I bought the divided Lasagna Pan, not the brownie pan:

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

• 3 weeks later...

Finally found the Perfect Brownie pan in our area, Canadian Tire. $20 each and that's on sale. (Sales in Canada are not what they are in the USA.)

Bought two. One for me and one for confectionery partner, Barbara. Monday we make Enstrom copycat toffee and I'll report back how the pans work.

Am returning the more expensive one bought from Hendricks the restaurant supply store. It's better quality, heavier, but has only 12 sections. The Perfect pan has 18 sections which is better for our purposes.

Hmmm...wonder it marshmallows would work in those dividers...or whether I'd be left with one awful sticky mess. Of course I would oil them but... :hmmm:

Edited by Darienne (log)

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

Reporting back.finished toffee Apr 10.jpg

The pans worked very well. Nothing stuck to them anywhere. The pieces are all the same size and the chocolate all stuck.

Off to re-cement friendships tomorrow with gifts of chocolate-covered toffee. :wub:

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope.