• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cloth Napkins and Getting Them Clean

weinoo

I like to use cloth napkins when we have dinner guests.

So, how do you get them clean, especially when dinner might have been something like ribs or chicken - stuff actually eaten with the hands that gets the napkins all greasy. I realize that taking them to the dry cleaners works very well - but cleaning costs almost as much per napkin as the actual cost of the napkin.

Is there a secret for getting them really spotless in the wash?

Mitch Weinstein aka "weinoo"

Tasty Travails - My Blog

My eGullet FoodBog - A Tale of Two Boroughs

Was it you baby...or just a Brilliant Disguise?

OK while I am totally into cloth napkins for a formal dinner I don't think they are appropriate for finger food like chicken and ribs. For those I keep some white facecloths which I dampen with hot water and offer them with the finger food. Failing that I think paper napkins are perfectly adequate with messy finger foods. Just my opinion though.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I hope I don't sound like a commercial, but I swear by a combination of a Spray 'n Wash stain stick and OxyClean powder. I rub the spots with the stain stick and use the Oxy Clean in the washer with at least warm water. If they are really bad spots, I fill the washer and let it agitate a minute and then stop it and let is soak for 25 minutes. This has even worked on cranberry sauce on a white tablecloth.

I use cloth napkins for everything, and when we eat messy foods, we dampen them with warm or hot water. I have never had trouble getting stains out of white linen or cotton napkins in the regular wash, but I don't use hot water.

I get my napkins at thrift stores and yard sales, so I use the fancy ones all the time.

Tracy

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I hope I don't sound like a commercial, but I swear by a combination of a Spray 'n Wash stain stick and OxyClean powder. I rub the spots with the stain stick and use the Oxy Clean in the washer with at least warm water. If they are really bad spots, I fill the washer and let it agitate a minute and then stop it and let is soak for 25 minutes. This has even worked on cranberry sauce on a white tablecloth.

I second this. The Oxy Clean agitate-then-soak method is a lifesaver.

OK while I am totally into cloth napkins for a formal dinner I don't think they are appropriate for finger food like chicken and ribs. For those I keep some white facecloths which I dampen with hot water and offer them with the finger food. Failing that I think paper napkins are perfectly adequate with messy finger foods. Just my opinion though.

I'm with Anna on the issue of quite messy foods; as a guest I would feel guilty :unsure: using cloth napkins for finger food.

I use cloth napkins for everything, and when we eat messy foods, we dampen them with warm or hot water. I have never had trouble getting stains out of white linen or cotton napkins in the regular wash, but I don't use hot water.

I get my napkins at thrift stores and yard sales, so I use the fancy ones all the time.

Tracy

The fiber content of napkins is key; natural fibers like cotton and linen are absorbent and will come clean with sufficient effort. "Modern" synthetic napkins are horrid at blotting and tend to hold onto oily stains, IMO.

I'm with Anna on the issue of quite messy foods; as a guest I would feel guilty :unsure: using cloth napkins for finger food.

Yep - that was my other issue - I would likely wipe my hands on my pants before I'd use a lovely linen napkin for ribs! Now how gauche is that!

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

Yep - that was my other issue - I would likely wipe my hands on my pants before I'd use a lovely linen napkin for ribs! Now how gauche is that!

That's all well and good, and thanks for this advice, but it has not a lot to do with my original question.

Tasty Travails - My Blog

Cloth almost exclusively. I don't eat a lot of ribs or bbq, but if I did, I would probably be eating outside in the summer and I might just grab some big paper Ikea napkins for that.

I don't find 100% cotton napkins difficult to keep clean, but that said, I don't use expensive white ones, either. I tend to buy relatively cheap patterned napkins, in a mid-range of color. Much more forgiving. For company I use my newest set, the one that works with my big tablecloth. The rest of the time I use a hodge-podge of different sets from past lives. They don't get washed after every use unless they get dirty. I've got a couple of sets that have lasted close to 20 years--you know, those stripey Guatemalan ones from some vacation or other or the ones that matched the red-check tablecloth that got used back when there was a chianti bottle with candle wax dripping all over it. Now that was way more than 20 years ago.

I too am a big fan of Zout, although it is rarely needed for napkins--more often for cooking stains when I'm too lazy to put on my apron.

Oh, if they start to look dull or I suspect the stains won't wash out, I use hot water and just the teensiest bit of bleach.

Edited by Katie Meadow (log)

Exactly! I only use cotton or linen. And as long as I wash in no-hotter-than-warm water, all the stains come out, even the pre-stained stains from the second-hand napkins. Oxi-Clean works wonders, but so does a soak in borax.

I use, typically, a homemade mix of grated bar soap, borax and washing soda, which I've mixed with hot water, then let sit until it gels up. I use that for all my laundry, and it works well. I have a high-efficiency washer, and it works in that, and it also worked in my non-high-efficiency washer in a previous life. If I have stubborn stains on vegetable fibers (cotton, linen, ramie, etc.), then a dose of Oxi-Clean gets added if the first wash doesn't remove the stain.

Tracy

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

I fix that problem as a host by being the first one to use my lovely linen napkins for something messy, so the guests don't feel guilty.

(edited to fix issue with not having quoted what I wanted to quote :wacko: )

Edited by heidih
Fixed quote tags (log)

Tracy

Lenexa, KS, USA

My "secret" is to use white napkins and the bleach the #$%^ out of them. Works great! Are you trying to clean colored ones?

Yes, and I didn't realize till I read the tags that they are not 100% cotton, so there's that problem as well.

Ended up doing an overnight soak with Oxyclean in my kitchen sink - can't soak in the washing machines since they're shared. Gave them a good swishing and rubbing and let them sit there till morning, when I washed them with more Oxyclean in the machines. I have to say they came out looking almost as good as coming from the dry cleaner, so that'll be my go-to method. That, and buying only 100% cotton stuff from now on.

Tasty Travails - My Blog